PrC Mystic Fist - please help me =)

galneweinhaw

First Post
EDIT: Thanks for all the help guys. I added some final edits based on the comments and am satisfied with the PrC now. Flurry of Mystic Blows may need to be nerfed, but my players will never get that high anyway ;)

Mystic Fist

A towering crag called the Griffon’s Roost casts a dark shadow over a muddy trade route. From a perch hundreds of feet above looms the cat-infested Twilight Monastery of the Mystic Fist, a three-towered monument where two score monks dwell within the monastery, dedicating themselves to a litany of exercises meant to channel the innate arcane potential of its members within the strict discipline of monastic training. The secretive monks hold dusk as the holiest of hours, and sonorous chants emit from the Twilight Monastery’s central courtyard when the night sky appears in the heavens.

Foremost among the monks is Izenfen the Occluded (LN female human monk 4/sor 2/myf 4), a peerless masked combatant thought to be one of the wisest figures in the hills. Travelers frequently seek her council, but most leave without ever having gained access to the Twilight Monastery, for Izenfen deigns to speak with only a handful of potential candidates foretold to her via the agency of the night sky and an immense mirrored lens called the Censer of Symmetry. The Censer, which dominates the monastery’s central courtyard, grants any who gaze upon it a +10 bonus on Profession (astrologer) checks made during a clear night. Junior monks polish its smooth surface throughout the day, and the whole of the order is prepared to defend it with their lives.

The Brotherhood of the Mystic Fist uses its isolation and camaraderie to develop its members’ physical skills and arcane potential by practicing a disciple that combines unarmed combat with sorcery. To outsiders, members of the brotherhood identify themselves by wearing one black and one crimson glove, each bearing the order's symbol: a clenched fist outlined in flame. A member of the brotherhood, however, knows these gloves offer more than just recognition.

The Brotherhood of the Mystic Fist are a closed and tightly knit organization, however members of the brotherhood are often tasked to seek out potential candidates, looking for trained and experienced monks who have recently discovered innate arcane talents which have distracted them from their martial training, or monks who have had untapped arcane potential since childhood, or even on rare occasions, sorcerers with an aptitude for unarmed combat.

Hit Die: d6
Requirements:
To qualify to become a mystic fist, a character must fulfill the following criteria:
Alignment: Any lawful.
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks.
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike.
Spells: Ability to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane spells.
Special: Must be approached by or seek out an order dedicated to the Mystic Fist. Membership is dependent upon a Trial by Combat, during which the prospective member must successfully land an offensive touch spell with an Unarmed Strike.

Class Skills:
The Mystic Fist's class skills (and key ability for each) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
    Level  BAB    Fort  Ref   Will
------------------------------
  1    +0     +0    +2    +2
  2    +1     +0    +3    +3
  3    +2     +1    +3    +3
  4    +3     +1    +4    +4
  5    +3     +1    +4    +4
  6    +4     +2    +5    +5
  7    +5     +2    +5    +5
  8    +6     +2    +6    +6
  9    +6     +3    +6    +6
 10    +7     +3    +7    +7

Level   Special Abilities                      Spells
-------------------------------------------------------------------
  1     Monk abilities, mystic focus,      -
         bonus feat
  2     Mystic training (initiate)         +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level
  3                                        +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level
  4     Mystic fist                        -
  5     Mystic training (disciple)         +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level                 
  6                                        +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level
  7     Diamond soul                       -
  8     Mystic Training (master)           +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level
  9                                        +1 Arcane Spellcaster Level
 10     Flurry of mystic fists             -

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mystic fists gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells: When a new mystic fist level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in whatever spontaneous arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spontaneous arcane spellcasting class before he became a mystic fist, he must decide to which class he adds each level of mystic fist for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Monk Abilities: A mystic fist adds his class level to his monk level, if any, for determining AC bonus, unarmed damage, and unarmored speed bonus.

Mystic Focus (Ex): When casting any spell with range touch and delivered with an unarmed attack, a mystic fist's black and crimson gloves act as a mystic focus, replacing any other focus, or required material component costing 1 gp or less.

Bonus Feat: A mystic fist's training begins with the knowledge of how to cast spells while engaged in melee combat, thus granting him combat castin as a bonus feat at 1st level. If the character already has combat casting, then he may choose any metamagic feat in its place.

Mystic Training (Ex): A mystic fist is trained to cast spells in a unique manner specific to his fighting style. This specialized training, however, results in neglect in more standard spell casting methods. Mystic training only affects spells of the class in which the mystic fist gains caster levels.
Initiate: At 2nd level, a mystic fist casts all offensive spells as a touch spells which must be delivered with an unarmed strike. Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it affects only the target. He is no longer capable of casting these spells in the standard manner.
Disciple: At 5th level, a mystic fist has been re-trained how to cast area of effect spells through his mystic training. Any spell with a burst area or with a spread area which is instantaneous, instead creates a cone effect when it is delivered with an unarmed strike. The cone has a range equal the spells standard range or radius.
Master: At 8th level, defensive spells cast by a mystic fist may be delayed up to 8 hours. Instead, these spells come into effect immediatly before the mystic fist is affected in any way that the spell is meant to protect against. If 8 hours passes wihtout the spell being triggered then it is lost. Because of the specialzed training, however, all spells with harmless as a descriptor in the saving throw or spell resistance entry become range personal and a mystic fist is no longer capable of casting these spells in the standard manner.

Mystic Fist (Ex): At 4th level a mystic fist can cast any touch spell as a move action, however, this spell must be delivered with an unarmed strike

Diamond Soul (Ex): At 7th level, a mystic fist gains spell resistance equal to the total of his monk levels, spontaneous spellcasting class levels, and mystic fist levels +10.

Flurry of Mystic Fists (Ex): At 10th level a mystic fist can hold the charge of more than one touch spell. The number of touch spells that can be held simultaneously is equal to the maximum number of attacks the character can make in a full attack action. These spells may then be discharged individually, in any order the mystic fist chooses. If a non touch spell is cast, then all charged spells are lost. Each spell's charge may be held up to 8 hours, and is lost if this time passes without the spell being discharged.

Multiclassing Note: A monk who becomes a a mystic fist may continue advancing as a monk. Furthermore, the character may freely multiclass between monk and any class that grants spontaneous arcane spellcasting ability of which the character has advanced his caster level through the mystic fist class.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
galneweinhaw said:
Yay! my first post!

Welcome!

galneweinhaw said:
Mystic Focus (Ex): When casting any spell with range touch, a mystic fist's black and crimson gloves act as a mystic focus, replacing any focus or material component normally required for the spell, however this spell must be delivered with an unarmed strike.

Woah. That's a lot of cheap stoneskin spells there. One level of this guy is essential in every Mystic Theurge build -- you get Wis to AC and free restoration. Sweet!

galneweinhaw said:
Disciple: At 5th level, a mystic fist has been re-trained how to cast area of effect spells through his mystic training. Any spell with a burst area or with a spread area which is instantaneous, instead creates a cone effect when it is delivered with an unarmed strike. The cone has a range equal the spells standard range or radius.

Now he can cast circle of death and undeath to death free. Sweet!

I gotta say that the restrictions you place on spellcasting would make any kind of creative non-combat build useless, and the cheesy free diamond dust will make dips more appealing than sticking with the class.

Did I mention that I don't much like the restrictions on spellcasting?

Cheers, -- N

Cedric

First Post
First of all, I like it. So keep that in mind if I seem to make a lot of suggestions.

galneweinhaw said:
Able to cast one offensive spell with range touch.

This is kind of redundant with the Special Requirement...I would drop this one, just make it all part of the special.

galneweinhaw said:
Special: Must be approached by or seek out a monastic order dedicated to the way of the mystic fist, and successfully deliver a touch spell with an unarmed attack in a sparring match with trained mystic fist.

Might Change this to something like...

Special: Must be approached by or seek out an order dedicated to the Mystic Fist. Membership is dependent upon a Trial by Combat, during which the perspective member must successfully land an offensive touch spell with an Unarmed Strike.

galneweinhaw said:
Class Skills:
The Mystic Fist's class skills (and key ability for each) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
 Level  BAB    Ref   Fort  Will
------------------------------
  1    +0     +0    +2    +2
  2    +1     +0    +3    +3
  3    +2     +1    +3    +3
  4    +2     +1    +4    +4
  5    +3     +1    +4    +4
  6    +4     +2    +5    +5
  7    +5     +2    +5    +5
  8    +6     +2    +6    +6
  9    +6     +3    +6    +6
 10    +7     +3    +7    +7

[/quote]

I would change the BaB to correspond with that of the Monk Class, 0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6 etc. (Multiples of three are doubled). 

[QUOTE=galneweinhaw]
[b]Mystic Focus (Ex):[/b] When casting any spell with range touch, a mystic fist's black and crimson gloves act as a mystic focus, replacing any focus or material component normally required for the spell, however this spell must be delivered with an unarmed strike.[/quote]

Nice thought, but honestly, I'd just replace this with Eschew Materials. You could add a note that the Mystic Fist is able to channel his magical abilities through his enhanced physique and his connection to his Ki...or some such thing. 

[QUOTE=galneweinhaw][b]Bonus Feat:[/b]
[i]Initiate[/i]: At 2nd level, a mystic fist casts all offensive spells as a touch spells which must be delivered with an unarmed strike.  Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it affects only the target.  He is no longer capable of casting these spells in the standard manner.  [/quote]

As much as this sounds like a drawback for this character, it really isn't a drawback. It's more of a benefit. 

Being able to channel a spell like a fireball into a touch spell that wouldn't get a reflex save, is a NICE benefit. You might move this to the level 5 ability and come up with something else for level 2. Maybe something like add his Dex bonus to his touch attack? Just a thought...

[QUOTE=galneweinhaw]
[i]Master[/i]: At 8th level, defensive spells cast by a mystic fist are delayed.  Instead, these spells come into effect immediatly before the mystic fist is affected in any way that the spell is meant to protect against.  Because of the specialzed training, all spells with harmless as a descriptor in the saving throw or spell resistance entry become range personal and a mystic fist is no longer capable of casting these spells in the standard manner.[/quote]

I'd make this something like Contingency as a Spell-like ability. 

Also, if you were looking for another, you could have one that allows the Mystic Fist to apply metamagic feats to Spontaneous touch spells without increased casting time. 

[QUOTE=galneweinhaw][b]Mystic Fist (Ex):[/b] At 4th level a mystic fist can cast any touch spell as a move action, however, this spell must be delivered with an unarmed strike[/quote]

Allow him to cast touch spells of a level up to 1/2 his Mystic Fist level (rounded up) as a Swift Action.

[QUOTE=galneweinhaw][b]Flurry of Mystic Fists (Ex):[/b] At 10th level a mystic fist can hold the charge of more than one touch spell.  The number of touch spells that can be held simultaneously is equal to the maximum number of attacks the character can make in a full attack action.  These spells may then be discharged individually in any order the mystic fist chooses.  If a non touch spell is cast, then the spells are lost.[/quote]

I'd just make it two, one for each fist. More is a bit unbalancing, imo. 

Just my thoughts, I hope something I offered up helped.

Cedric

galneweinhaw

First Post
Cedric said:
First of all, I like it. So keep that in mind if I seem to make a lot of suggestions.
Hmm...good start... [;)]

Thank you so much for helping me out.

This is kind of redundant
Agree! I don't know why I added it.

Special: Must be approached by or seek out an order dedicated to the Mystic Fist. Membership is dependent upon a Trial by Combat, during which the perspective member must successfully land an offensive touch spell with an Unarmed Strike."

Thanks, this sounds much better :)

I would change the BaB...
for sure!... that must have been a typo (I was probably goin from my head) heh. thank for catching it!

Nice thought, but honestly, I'd just replace this with Eschew Materials. You could add a note that the Mystic Fist is able to channel his magical abilities through his enhanced physique and his connection to his Ki...or some such thing.

As is, I agree Eschew Materials would be much better and balanced than what I have. However, because this is linked to the Mystic Fist entry in the Players Guide to Eberron (which is where the black and crimson gloves come in) I would like them to have some significance. How about have the gloves cost some good $$$ (not directly, but upon the appropriate tithe, the monastary grants the wearer his gloves).

Actually, thinking as I type, this could also be a requirement before entering the prestige class? must tithe Xgp?

So what would be an appropriate amount of gp for a PrC that could be entered at the lowest at 6th level (4 monk, 2 sorc) AND, what gp of material component would be reasonable to be able to eschew if I went this way?

Another thought for the gloves. What about having them as a wondrous item, "eschewing gloves of mighty fists +1" (I wouldn't call them that)

How much gp would that set them back?

As much as this sounds like a drawback for this character, it really isn't a drawback. It's more of a benefit.

Being able to channel a spell like a fireball into a touch spell that wouldn't get a reflex save, is a NICE benefit. You might move this to the level 5 ability and come up with something else for level 2. Maybe something like add his Dex bonus to his touch attack? Just a thought...

Hmm... I never intended for the touch FB to lose its save (do touch spells not have saves?). Considering this (if I add explicitly that saves are still required) do you think it would still be overpowered? It requires an unarmed attack (ie NOT touch AC) so would not be automatic (although he could hold the charge if he missed) and would affect only the target creature as opposed to an area.

I'd make this something like Contingency as a Spell-like ability.
Cool, I've never read that feat before.

A couple differences I would want is: 1. He can't choose the contingency, it activates automatically upon him being harmed/affected.
2. I would want the "contingent" spells currently cast on him to count towards his daily spells, and they are not actually completed until they are activated. This would affect rest time required to regain the spell slot (ie couldn't keep casting more and more)
3. XP/GP requirement....I want it to be a different way of casting spells, similar to the theme of the mystic trainings, not a crafting thing.

What I like: Greater time to cast the spell. what would be good?

Also, if you were looking for another, you could have one that allows the Mystic Fist to apply metamagic feats to Spontaneous touch spells without increased casting time.
woot! thanks! I will hold this one in case something needs to be replaced =)

Allow him to cast touch spells of a level up to 1/2 his Mystic Fist level (rounded up) as a Swift Action.
Would this be more or less powerfull?

The reason I liked the move (taken directly from spellsword of complete warrior) is that he could cast and deliver the spell as a full round action (since normally it would take 2 rounds to deliver a touch spell as an unarmed attack), however he would still provoke an AoO if he did this.

As a swift action he could cast it and still do a full attack action.

I'd just make it two, one for each fist. More is a bit unbalancing, imo.
lol...my players will never make it this high ;)

quickest level 10 would be: 4 monk, 2 Sor, 10 MyF and would have +11/+6/+1 with monks flurry would be: +9//+9/+4/-1

So could store 4 at 16th level and wouldn't get another attack within level 20.

Ya, prolly too much =( doh! I really like the concept heh.

Just my thoughts, I hope something I offered up helped.

Cedric

A TON! and thank you very much for the help. I would love it if you'd continue to help me build my first PrC into a good one! :)

galneweinhaw

First Post
Nifft said:
Thanks!

Woah. That's a lot of cheap stoneskin spells there.
How often do you deliver stoneskin as an unarmed strike ;)

One level of this guy is essential in every Mystic Theurge build -- you get Wis to AC and free restoration. Sweet!
Why Wis to AC? you need a Monk level for that. I don't think this PrC grants Wis bonus to AC (it's not supposed to, did I miss something?)

The spells affected by mystic training should only be the spontaneous arcane spellcasting class with which he gains casting levels within the PrC...now how to word that =P

No Divine spells should be affected.

Now he can cast circle of death and undeath to death free. Sweet!
Ya, not intended, what do you think of my recommended changes posted above?

I gotta say that the restrictions you place on spellcasting would make any kind of creative non-combat build useless

I'm not sure I follow...please elaborate!

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Having ran a similar class in my own setting being unable to cast the spell normally would be a drawback. Against creatures with very high AC's that you're unlikely to hit I've watched the player elect to forgo the unarmed damage and deliver a simple touch.

Remove ads