Ravnica Table of Contents & More

Thank you.

dave2008

Legend
So a D&D inspired MtG card block wouldn't involve D&D. Got it.

No, that is not what I was saying (I don't know for sure as I don't know the relevance of a "card block"). I'm saying if I walk in from the street as a D&D fan, but not a MtG fan, and see the book I wouldn't know or think it was MtG related. Now, if I looked a bit harder I obviously would. But a books cover is significant. And I think what they (WotC) are saying is that this is a D&D book first and influenced by MtG 2nd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
So a D&D inspired MtG card block wouldn't involve D&D. Got it.
Would you require an D&D-inspired MtG set to have to make an attacker roll a d20 to see if he hit and do random damage? What about a saving throw to avoid a card's effects or take 1/2 damage?

If not, what a waste. Such a lack of vision.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Would you require an D&D-inspired MtG set to have to make an attacker roll a d20 to see if he hit and do random damage? What about a saving throw to avoid a card's effects or take 1/2 damage?

If not, what a waste. Such a lack of vision.
I would expect Magic Missiles and Vorpal sword cards, like I expect iconic spells, items and monsters in a products that brings MtG to D&D. But that seems hard to grasp and strawmen are used instead. What a shame.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
No, that is not what I was saying (I don't know for sure as I don't know the relevance of a "card block"). I'm saying if I walk in from the street as a D&D fan, but not a MtG fan, and see the book I wouldn't know or think it was MtG related. Now, if I looked a bit harder I obviously would. But a books cover is significant. And I think what they (WotC) are saying is that this is a D&D book first and influenced by MtG 2nd.

On the back it says MtG meets D&D and the "MtG world of Ravnica to use in D&D".

I would expect more MtG in my soup the it is presented. I'd also expect more of the world and less of the guilds.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, the Planeshift document really sold me on the setting, so I would love to see something like the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron (which sold me on that setting). So far Ravnica just hasn't interested me. No biggie, my next campaign will likely be in Eberron anyway. I do hope it's a good product for those that do find it interesting--sour grapes just ain't my thing. ;)

You're saying you like Zendikar and Eberron after having read their products, so I'm not grokking why you're talking as though your opinion on Ravnica is fully set based only on the rumors and snippets you've seen.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It certainly seems to be true that all of the concepts in the book are expressed in D&D terms, without adding any significant new sub-systems of game mechanics to expand D&D with "Magic flavor." However, despite D&D players collectively asking for updates to D&D settings like Planescape and Dark Sun for years now, WotC chose instead to include Ravnica, because it is a Magic property. Yes, it is a D&D book, but it is one seemingly designed to sell D&D to Magic customers, and perhaps the other way around, too.

I wonder, when they announce the Magic cards with Elminster and Drizzit, will you be as certain that those are Magic products and not at all D&D products?

Well, sure: since they will have added in Magic conceps such as colored Mana, it will by necessity be Magic and not D&D. I honestly do expect we will see a D&D world used for a Magic set, if this book is popular.

dave2008

Legend
On the back it says MtG meets D&D and the "MtG world of Ravnica to use in D&D".

I would expect more MtG in my soup the it is presented. I'd also expect more of the world and less of the guilds.

And that is reasonable as a MtG fan. In book sales the Front Cover is the most important, not sure this holds true for RPGs, and I think they chose not to emphasize the MtG connection on the front cover for reason. I would guess the primary target is not MtG fans.

They specifically removed any Magic flavor, other than the setting itself: the book, unlike Star Wars, does bill itself as D&D and use the trade dress. Everything in the book is in D&D terms. Crawford has been extremely specific about this, and the marketing has followed suit.
I would argue that Ravnica flavour IS Magic the Gathering flavour. Like Forgotten Realms flavour IS Dungeons & Dragons.
So a game like, oh, Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance or Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms that make use of zero TTRPG mechanics are still somewhat D&D.

I don’t think all that makes D&D into a D&D product is having the logo. Otherwise the 2010 seventh edition of Gamma World would also be D&D as it had that logo on the box.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would argue that Ravnica flavour IS Magic the Gathering flavour. Like Forgotten Realms flavour IS Dungeons & Dragons.
So a game like, oh, Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance or Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms that make use of zero TTRPG mechanics are still somewhat D&D.

I don’t think all that makes D&D into a D&D product is having the logo. Otherwise the 2010 seventh edition of Gamma World would also be D&D as it had that logo on the box.

It is more than the trade dress, but for marketing purposes the trade dress is extremely important. In other terms, D&D would include things like the 9-point alignment system, or 9 levels of spells, or the Class sysyte, all things that will be in this D&D book.

Remove ads

Remove ads