D&D General "Red Orc" American Indians and "Yellow Orc" Mongolians in D&D

Hi, in this thread I will document the racially and culturally problematic facets of the D&D book GAZ10: The Orcs of Thar (1988). For an overview, see Shannon Appelcline's product write-up at DriveThruRPG.

I write this as a long-time aficionado of D&D, and of the Known World of Mystara.

I recently started another thread on this topic over on the Mystara Piazza: "Passé aspects of Real World-based cultural depictions." There I've experienced a mixture of supportiveness and stiff personal snarkiness. And so I wish to open another venue for discussion here at ENWorld, within a wider community which is not so emotionally tied to the canonical Mystara legacy of previous editions.

I have some experience in the field of cultural amends. A biographical note:

-I have Caucasian physiognomy, and am of primarily Euro-American ancestry (Gaels, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Britons, Franks). Though I have a homeopathic dose of Aniyvwiyaʔi (Cherokee) and PoHaTan (Powhatan) ancestry, I am not a citizen of any present-day Tribal Governance.
-I've done graduate work in American Indian Studies at Montana State University.
-I was one of the main contributors to the Native Land google map, which has gone viral. There's even a text service which will tell you what Traditional Territories you're standing in at the moment. I provided most of the maps for the Traditional Territories in the U.S. (You can see my name here.)
-In a town near Philadelphia, I co-facilitated an amends ceremony which was attended by local representatives of the Lenape Nation.
-I wrote a book The Original Peoples of the Driftless Region.
-The Village of Philmont, N.Y. asked me to write a history of their pre-contact indigenous history.
-I monetarily support the Lakota Waldorf School, on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

I'll share the problematic details of GAZ10 in the following posts.

-Travis Henry
Akron, Ohio

Last edited:

Did you expect the authors to know better 30+ years ago, or is this a more historical critique so that mistakes of the past are not repeated?

I ask this because when someone says "this product is problematic" and it was authored a generation ago, my first response is "well, of course it was". Assuming that you're not trying to exercise your batting arm, what insights are you looking to develop?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases