D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

Holy Bovine

First Post
I still love 4E and have just started yet another campaign of it. This time I'm trying for a whirlwind, passing through the cosmos, hit every game world out there at least once kind of gonzo game. They started in Eberron and where they end up is anyone's guess at this point (I'm thinking either Greyhawk or early Mystara).

Pour

First Post
Entirely agree with [MENTION=89838]sabrinathecat[/MENTION] . 4e just wasn't given its proper due. If they'd only loosen up the GSL...

All this talk got me thinking, anyone else wish they'd released this...

51GuzdFVkeL._SS500_.jpg

NV was the 'default' 4e setting and, despite the intentional vagueness with room to grow, man, I really wanted that book before they closed shop. Recently picking up Monsters of the Nentir Vale only made me want it even more. It would have been the prime material component of a pretty elaborate setting, given Underdark, Plane Above and Below, Feywild, Elemental Chaos, Demonomicon, Book of Vile... err, actually, maybe we skip that one..., and really all the books. Someone needs to assemble that fluff!

4.5e is what we deserved. And no, that wasn't Essentials.

fjw70

Adventurer
4E was brilliant. And then they added Essentials and nearly destroyed the entire rule system. Other areas which should have been covered were utterly neglected. Topics were stated, then abandoned without explanation or thought.
4E got shafted. A pity. It and we deserved better.

How was 4e nearly destroyed? Are talking about a marketing or rules perspective?

fjw70

Adventurer
Entirely agree with @sabrinathecat . 4e just wasn't given its proper due. If they'd only loosen up the GSL...

All this talk got me thinking, anyone else wish they'd released this...

View attachment 60213

NV was the 'default' 4e setting and, despite the intentional vagueness with room to grow, man, I really wanted that book before they closed shop. Recently picking up Monsters of the Nentir Vale only made me want it even more. It would have been the prime material component of a pretty elaborate setting, given Underdark, Plane Above and Below, Feywild, Elemental Chaos, Demonomicon, Book of Vile... err, actually, maybe we skip that one..., and really all the books. Someone needs to assemble that fluff!

4.5e is what we deserved. And no, that wasn't Essentials.

The Nentir Vale book was the one thing I really wanted from 4e that I didn't get. But the Nentir Vale Monster Vault was pretty good though.

Raith5

Adventurer
I was impressed with how many things I didn't like about my previous gaming that didn't bother me until 4e showed me a different way of playing.

PS

Yep, 100% agree. Non-clerical healing/Second winds, utility types of powers for all classes, some powerful spells being rituals, dynamic monsters - just to name a few.

Despite its flaws and restrictions, it has certainly changed what I expect from a RPG.

vagabundo

Adventurer
There is a lot of love in 4e, it is one of my favourite versions of DND.

I love the fluff/default setting, streamlined core, DM tools. Monster/NPC stat blocks, simplified math.

I'm frustrated that it didn't have more out of the box support for mapless combat, my preferred playstyle. And the presentation of the power blocks left something to be desired, sometimes too mathematical, some of the powers were so recursive they gave me a headache.

I'm digging 5e a lot, but a part of my heart will always be with 4e. I learnt a lot that I brought to my current SWSE game.

Aratargul

Explorer
I love 4e because it is simple, fun and easy to play, plus I think is the only edition in which you can really customize your character!.

the Jester

Legend
4E was brilliant. And then they added Essentials and nearly destroyed the entire rule system.

How so? And did you come to this conclusion via playing a 'mixed' 4e Classics + Essentials game, or just by reading the Essentials stuff?

I find that all the 4e material works just fine together, personally- we have both classic style and Essentials style pcs in my game, and it's run fine up to 24th level.

Other areas which should have been covered were utterly neglected. Topics were stated, then abandoned without explanation or thought.

This, I'm with you on.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
How was 4e nearly destroyed? Are talking about a marketing or rules perspective?

Whether you liked essentials or hated it, it fractured and split the customer base. Just look at all the rage about whether or not Essentials is 4e--how many times have we seen that argument hammered out? And for what? And many of the rules from essentials that were retroactively rolled into existing classes greatly changed they way the game played.

Remove ads