D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

Incenjucar

Legend
Several have mentioned the combats, but I'll go ahead and mention the improvisational tools. From the DC/Damage By Level table to the many "Improvising with [Skill]", I can run a D&D game with just one table and no minis if I want to.

We've done it before in the group I play in. I didn't personally like it, because I build for precise movements, but it worked well enough.

ProlificVoid

Explorer
I've played since about '80 - and love playing - but it wasn't until 4E that I had any desire to run a campaign myself.
The relative ease of preparation AND running/adjudicating now enables me to focus more on the story and less on the mechanics, so that I get to have fun too!

Still playing 4E three times a week four years in. I love these threads, whenever people try to bring me down with how supposedly unpopular 4E is supposed to be, I look at all the unique names these threads generate.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I had more or less given up on 4E after running about half a dozen sessions, but threads like this are helping me come around to giving it another chance.

I think that I actually very much like 4E. It's the way that the published adventures are written that I don't like. Even the better ones (The Slaying Stone, Reavers of Harkenwold) make it very easy for the game to play out as a series of mostly-unavoidable combat encounters with short breaks for role-playing and exploration. Running an AD&D 1e session through the start of N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God made me realize this; had we been playing with 4E rules, the session would have played out very much the same, except the one significant combat encounter would have been a lot more fun and two players would have had a lot more to do during the battle.

I love how 4E makes it that it's not a huge stretch to find ways for every player to be involved in the game at virtually all times. In our 4E games, there was never a situation where any players felt that they couldn't contribute something worthwhile.

I love that the 4E DM's Screen doesn't give me a headache just looking at it, unlike the AD&D 1e and 3.x/PF screens. I look at those and my eyes just glaze over.

I love that we spent very little time looking up a rule when playing 4E; the base rules are mostly easy enough to remember, and everything else is right there in a power or monster description.

I love how 4E makes it fairy easy to reliably judge how difficult a combat encounter will be, and how there are clear guidelines for scaling the encounter up or down.

I love how players in 4E are much less likely to end up sitting out half the night because of a couple of unlucky die rolls.

I'm still frustrated by many of the overly fiddly bits (until the start/end of next turn condition/effect/trivial bonus tracking and the ubiquity of temporary hit points in particular), but think that I might have given up on it before the new rules became second nature to me. There is a lot to love in 4E.

Rechan

Adventurer
It's the way that the published adventures are written that I don't like. Even the better ones (The Slaying Stone, Reavers of Harkenwold) make it very easy for the game to play out as a series of mostly-unavoidable combat encounters with short breaks for role-playing and exploration.
I'm not sure how that differs from earlier editions, but. If you really feel that way, what you might try is running 1e/2e modules with 4e rules.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Regardless of whatever issues I have with it, I think a lot of 4E is sheer genius, and very much enjoy them.

I also certainly hope that 4E support continues on DDI when/if 5E is released. I sincerely hope that the mistakes of the 3E to 4E transition are not repeated.

Long Live 4E.

Remove ads