D&D General Rethinking alignment yet again

The Devil is an invention that predates us by a bit more than two thousand years and yet there are people actively believing it will come to tempt them and blame him for all sorts of thing... A scarecrow is still a scarecrow.

Taking bad experiences from the past and putting them back to the front is a thing that happens all the time on various experiences and topics. This is nothing new. We have a say in French: "A cat burned by hot water fears cold water". In other words, if it looks like something that hurt you; there's a big chance you will not even go near it. This is what we are seeing.
My opposition of alignment is not due such bad experiences, I just feel alignment is painfully dumb and the game would be better without it. It is a terrible way to characterise things to begin with, and it fosters simplistic us vs them narratives and often is used justification for uncomfortable apologism for (fictional) racial violence.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My opposition of alignment is not due such bad experiences, I just feel alignment is painfully dumb and the game would be better without it. It is a terrible way to characterise things to begin with, and it fosters simplistic us vs them narratives and often is used justification for uncomfortable apologism for (fictional) racial violence.
If people like something, that has been in the game for a long time, is the cornerstone of a beloved setting (Planescape), is deeply entrenched in pop culture, and is actually useful to many people, it should not be wholly removed. As has been said many times, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Oofta

Legend
Some of us want simplistic 80% of the time. D&D is often an escape from the real world, sometimes I want it to be simple. Even if ... actually especially if ... real world morality is a quagmire. Well, except for pineapple on pizza. Chaotic. Definitely chaotic.

Racial violence is part of games without alignments too. Even more so than I ever thought possible. There is a reason I do not play some games. I have seen horrors that alignments would have refrained, made impossible to do without losing the character (remember my no Evil policy?). I am not going to talk about these bad experiences with alignmentless systems in any details but believe me, I would be instabanned just retelling what I saw. Alignment can be very good to stop these stupidities.

Remove ads