• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return of the Slavelords, Part 2 - "Bright City, Dark Hearts"

Scotley

Hero
"Thank you Captain, Norbac has the right of it. A meal a bed and a chance to speak with your Rangers and we'll be out of your hair."

Karl Green

First Post
Captain Mayness grunts in agreement and leads the party out of the tower and over to one of the barracks. Inside is a large mess hall, with some soldiers filling in to form a line and others already sitting and eating. The food looks to be a mutton stew and hard black bread. Those in line step aside for the Captain (many greeting him in friendly tones… you can tell his troops are very loyal to him) and the rest of the party. After filling up your bowls and getting some bread, Captain Mayness leads you to a back table where a number of men and women dressed in rough, rugged outdoor clothing of green and browns. One is an attractive human female with black hair and dark brown eyes, who nods to the Captain and eyes each of you.

Captain Mayness says " Huette , these men are here to seek out the bandits that have been a striking here of late. Especially those that hit the merchant train last week. I thought it would be a good idea if they talk with you and your crew about where they might be a hiding out"

Huette nods and looks you over again. In a surprisingly deep voice she speaks up "There is a town called Three Oaks about two days ride from here. It's 30 miles into the Gnarley Forest. They have been suffering raids of late from some new bandits also. Rumor has it that there be a secret base of some dark wizard and humanoids deeper in the woods; rumored to be called Blackthron. That might be where they are hiding out. There is also a rumored cove somewhere on the coast south of here that is suppose to support not only orc raiders but also pirates and slavers. We have not been able to locate it but we have not had the time to really look either. The coast is very rocky and broken all the way south of Carnakh and there are to many places it could be. Ye can't take horses down the beach from there either and it would take a long time to travel it. That might also be the place where them raiders flee to after their bloody work is done."

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

"Thank you for the hospitality Captain, we are honored to dine with such a fine company. Your men seem very able and devoted." Verrick dines on the simple food with gusto then turns to Huette. "Sounds like the country around here is ideal for those who wish to hide. We have our work cut out for us. Huette, we know that the Wizard we seek likes to use cold to freeze his enemies. Have you heard of anything like that happening during raids? He is very ruthless and doesn't hesitate to blast helpless hostages."

Someone

Adventurer
"Yeah, he a great bastard." says Norbac while swallowing the food. "But we´ll find him in no time -we have some fine trackers here, though they kind of silent lately."

Karl Green

First Post
Huette nods and says "Aye, not a week ago some raiders attacked a merchant caravan…just a few miles out of Phandish, which is to the east of here about a days ride on the north route… one of the surviving guards told us that the leader of the band was a wizards of some power who called frost down on the Priest of Pelor that was traveling with the group. Ye might want to start there. Krell, one of my men, lead a small group of soldier a few miles to try and track them but they lost the trail after a few miles. Krell?"

A smaller, dark haired man sitting down the table a bit who has been watching you all speaks up "Aye, we followed them to the south for about five miles… but the land turns very rocky there and I lost the trail. There be a map in the Captain's office where I can point it out to yea, but it been going on a week now…" Krell seems a bit embarrassed by his admission, but the other men or women sitting at the table are nodding in agreement and support for the man.

Huette adds "You might want to talk with the Sheriff of Phandish, I have some suspicions that someone there might have tipped off the raiders. The merchants had stopped in town for a couple of days so there was time for an ambush…"

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Norbac thinks for a second. "Maybe it not such a good idea; if the bandits have spies there, they could know we´re going for them." says. "Better not to stay around too much time, the ogre-thing knows us." adds.

Karl Green

First Post
Blight Tower, main mess hall, nightfall

Captain Mayness nods "Well you woud know best. As I said if ye want to use the Fort as a base for rest, ye may. Well have a number of healers here assigned from Greyhawk."

As dinner is wrapping up and he stands "I have to go, still have some reports to go over and to file. You are welcome to stay the night, I'll have some quarters made up for you. Not as fine as you might be use to, but the beds are warm and dry." With that he and his assistent excuse themselves.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Norbac nods and shrugs. "Soft beds make me feel bad, and the next week my back aches" says. "Always I´ve slept on the floor. We´ll see what we do about the bandits tomorrow: too much time and horseback not good for thinking clear."

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

"Thank you Captain. I think we shall wish to travel to the area of Phandish tomorrow, but as Norbac suggests we should sleep on it. Good Evening and thank you again for the hospitality."

Karl Green

First Post
Blight Tower, semi-private room, night and morning

As dinner breaks up and soldiers leave for their posts or bed, one of the junior officers leads the party to a small side room. Ten folding beds are set against the wall, that can be set up, along with bedding. The party is left alone if they wish to talk about their plans

At first light in the morning, the sounds of the waking Keep are loud enough to wake the party. A warm oatmeal breakfast and hard bread is served in the mess hall, many of the same soldiers the players show last night are here again.

Where would you like to go? Who is going? I guess depending on who replies is still with the game ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads