• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return to White Plume -- IC

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"You are the first halfing I have met, although I see your races' stereotype for being rather hungry is well deserved." Aunil chuckles lightly, hoping his rather rash words don't offend Valeire.

Scotley

Hero
Valeire

"I hope to serve as an exemplar of my people. I guess I'll have a little more dessert to fully cement our reputation."

mfrench

First Post
Roland exchanges pleasantries during the meal, and seems to enjoy himself with the witty banter of his guests. He deflects, politely but firmly, any discussion concerning his proposal until the conclusion of the meal.

At that time, when Loren has ensured that everyone is satisfied and has been offered the chance to drink or smoke according to their tastes, Roland dismissed him and gave strict orders that there be no interruptions, save for late-comers who might still be interested.

"Now, then: are any of you familiar with the legend of the mage Keraptis?"

OOC: Unless you can make a K:history or K:arcana check, the answer is no. If you can, give it a try.

As people glance around the room, gauging the responses to his query, Roland presses on:"According to the legends, which I've spent months and much wealth confirming, he was a man of considerable arcane power over two millenia ago. In the wizard-circles here and in Radigast City, his story is told to apprentices who question the need for the Mage's Injunction: namely, he became powerful enough to level a city, and could have gone on to do more. Rumors say that his magic was studied by the ancient Suel and Bahklunish to bring on the calamities that ruined the West. Of course, they had teams of powerful mages working rituals for days to bring about those effects; Keraptis worked alone on a spell of power to annihilate a city in minutes.

"But all of this is by the by. After destroying that city, he simply up and vanished. No one knows what happened to him. His name was lost to most histories, and he is thought of as a myth by most serious students of arcane history.

"Twenty years ago, an intersting thing happened in Greyhawk. Four owners of fantastic artifacts, each well secured, found themselves robbed, without any sign of an intruder save this: each received an identical note, taunting the victim, and giving a clue to the whereabouts of the artifact. The intial, K, was left at the bottom. It is my conjecture that each of these objects was once claimed by Keraptis, and that he stole them back.

"The objects were thus: a greatsword, Blackrazor; a scimitar, Frostedge; a hammer, Whelm; and a trident, Wavecaller. These weapons were removed from the city, and the four furious owners put together an expedition to have them returned. Not entirely sure where they were headed, and not exactly united in purpose, each of them sent two representatives on the quest.

"After several months, the owners feared the worst, and sent out new parties to retrieve there lost treasures. At that point, two of the eight returned, with strange results: they brought back five weapons, having also procured the arrow, Seeker. With so many conflicting parties involved, two owners were returned their weapons, and the others were claimed by the retrievers as fair price for their trouble. Of the two, one was slain before he could flee the city, and his weapons lost. The other managed to escape to the West, and lived in fearful retirement for some time.

"At great cost, and after years of putting this puzzle together, I've managed to locate the journal and papers of this last surviving member of the retrieval party. He is dead now, but the information needed from him should have lived on in his papers. They confirm one thing at least, that the mage they killed there was Keraptis himself, though how he could still be alive is beyond any estimation. He was, of course, weakened compared to the legends, but alive nonetheless."

Roland sighs, and sets down his drink, now empty. "Forgive my longwindedness. There is much I have omitted, but time is now precious. Are there any questions before the final part of this history is disclosed?"

Redclaw

First Post
Gerdan looks back toward the host, his gaze having drifted off as he listened to the tale. He had not been inattentive, just focusing his concentration inward as the waves of history washed against his concsciousness. Now, a pause in the onslaught of promising information for his quest to find Wavecaller, he was able to voice the doubt that threatened to drag his his hope under.

How would a wizard of such power have allowed himself to be found, let alone leave clues to his whereabouts? I am willing to believe that such a man might cheat the abyss of death for milennia, but not that the same man would then needlessly risk it all over a childish taunt.

I don't mean to be rude in doubting your story, but I also would hate to miss seeing the reefs that hide beneath the surface of this apparently deep channel.

mfrench

First Post
Roland nods, and gives his reply: "I had considered that very question, and come to think there are several alternatives. The one which I believe to be most plausible, according to what I have discerned from the accounts, is this: that he was rendered indisposed for all or most of that period. Once he returned to consciousness, weakened in state but not in mind and will, he sought the return of his implements of power.

"As to the childish taunts? Even the mightiest of men may be lowered in thought, like a bull charging at red, when faced with some injury of their pride. I believe this to be the case as well."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"Indeed, if this "man" is still alive, then I would assume his mind would be damaged. The human race is not accustomed to just long life. The centuries can alter a mind worse than they alter the body. I would not put it past the man to leave these taunts. It is likely that something had confined the man, and he recently found a way out."

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

Percivilis stops and lets the tale sink in.

"What exactly would a wizard want with these weapons? Powerful wizards need no weapons beyond their arcane abilities, and most do not even possess the training needed to wield martial weapons at all."

"I would agree with the salty priest -- such a powerful wizard who had lived many millenia, while still flesh and bone, would have command of unmatched power. He would not need his ego stroked or defended, or even venture to make taunts or attract attention to himself. I would think his powerful actions would speak louder than any worded letter."

He stops for a moment to think through the rest of the tale.

"So, if the wizard is indeed dead now, I'm struggling to form a cogent idea on where this tale is headed, but the tale itself has been most entertaining and informative. Please proceed."

He nods slightly towards his host and smiles broadly.

mfrench

First Post
OOC: Valeire has knowledge that Keraptis was a mage of considerable power, and was obsessed with his quest for immortality.

Roland stands and raises his hands as his guests engage in speculation amongst themselves. He takes a moment to steel himself and take back control of the conversation, and to finish the tale in one last telling. "These are all valid concerns, and I'm afraid that I cannot answer them all with total certainty. Much of the work I have done has been educated guesswork. But the last pieces of the puzzle will help clear things up.

"The weapons are important not just for their value in combat, but also for the magical energies which they possess. The tales say that Frostedge has slain dragons; Seeker is rumored to impart vision into the future. Wavecaller was a gift from Sea Giants to the mage for services rendered. Blackrazor was brought back after the mage had journeyed to other planes of existence! There is no telling what powers might be unlocked with dedicated study: there are some that believe they were the true key to his power, that he could harness their magical natures to destroy that city.

"Whatever their history, these weapons of power were recently stolen again. The work was not as clean this time, but the same note was left: I obtained a copy of one, and it was identical to the 20 year old note, except for a slight variation in the initial. It is a 'K' overlaid on a skull emblem. The five weapons were stolen last summer, and it seems Keraptis has returned again.

"I am no expert in the arcane arts. Perhaps he has similucra which have been awakened, both 20 years ago and more recently; perhaps he has joined the ranks of the undead, or has found some other means of achieving immortality.

"Whatever the case may be, the stakes now are high; we are not the only ones aware of the situation. As I stated in the invitation, the thirst for power exists from east to west, from north to south. You are not the only ones in the City asking questions. Every side of every conflict would pay dearly for these weapons. That is why I have gathered you from every people and nation; you are not here for one side, so no one side can dominate the Flaeness by recovering the treasures of this expedition. Greyhawk has long been a haven for neutrality, and I am a product of its ideas. With the clues I have gathered, I believe that Keraptis can be found, and the weapons recovered.

"My offer is to provide you with the means of finding these weapons, and for you to return with them to the city. My price in all of this is to be Whelm, the hammer. Whatever else is found in their recovery is yours to share in whatever manner is fitting to the rest of you. I only ask that before I disclose their whereabouts, an accord is struck with every member who is to go.

"I would dare say by your reactions that there are still doubts. What more convincing do you need?"

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"I will journey to the realms of torture themselves to find the Seeker. Long has my people held it in high regard, it's wisdom a guide for our people. I have not been blessed enough to see this weapon, as I am young by my people's standards. I shall go, for the sake of my people," he looks at everyone in turn, "and for all of our people. My life is not as important as the life of our collective people." He rises gracefully, "I ask that Seeker be returned to my people. If an accord needs to be struck with the proper owner, the Faerie Queen will see that one is struck. You have my oath."

Remove ads