D&D 5E Reworking Spell Lists (Reducing "Sameyness")

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
While I understand (and agree) with most of your thinking, there comes a point were balance has to come into play. The "feel" I am getting to to move a lot of spells to Wizard, but as it is the Wizard will start to outpace the lists of the other Big 3. Remember, for myself anyway, this is a Big 3, not a Big 1 and Medium 2.
Thinking about it more, I would definitely rather see the spell lists be roughly equivalent, and simply give the wizard some buffs to compensate. More spell volume, possibly.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm not sure that "I don't have any good spells" is the hole we want in the Wizard arsenal. :p
To be fair, I think we also have disagreement on the relative efficacy of blasting spells, which may account for our differing assessments of the overall spell list balance.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The way I see it...
Blindness/Deafness
Hold Person
Silence
Classic Cleric spells.

Scorching Ray
Flaming Sphere
Shatter
Suggestion
No reason for them to be anything but wizard.

Alter Self
Misty Step
Could be special abilities.

Misty Step was a Fey Warlock special, not a spell, and fey connection could argue Druid, but the Druid has some teleport-via-plant spells, while the Wizard's long had a minor teleport: Blink. So just giving it back to the Warlock as a special rather than spell might be fine, too.

Druids already shapechange as a special, so alter self type abilty also as a special ability might be OK. Alter Self is in a 'series' with Disguise Self and Polymorph … Alter Self could just go away, leaving the wizard disguise self & polymorph, no big loss for want of the intermediate.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Thinking about it more, I would definitely rather see the spell lists be roughly equivalent, and simply give the wizard some buffs to compensate. More spell volume, possibly.
One of the big differences between Wizard (and Sorcerer etc) and Cleric/Druid (and Bard etc) is that the former's best spells tend to be directly beneficial or aggrandizing to the caster, but the latter's most important spells tend to represent power that 'flows to the party' while the caster falls back on weapons & armor or special abilities, himself.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
@TwoSix - Well, since all the good blasting spells and a bunch of the good debuff, defense and control spells all moved off the Wizard list I suspect that our disagreements there are pretty moot as regards what's actually on the list. If it were just the blasting spells I wouldn't have brought it up. Or maybe just brought it up with lass gusto. :p

I suspect we have similar thoughts about the value of blasting spells btw, but I'm trying to speak generally and not just from my particular PoV about what Wizard spells are good.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
UPDATE: the 2nd Level Spell Lists have been updated given the feedback from individuals. Again, this is an exercise in compromise as well as anything else. Once all the spell levels have been done, and we can examine the lists in their entirety, further adjustments I am certain will be made.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it is much appreciated!

EDIT: As before, and as always, if there is a glaring, "HECK NO!" response to any spell, please let me know and I will bold it for later consideration. Thanks.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Increase "spell slots" for Wizard has been in my mind from the beginning. I am fine with the overall wizard list being 25% or so longer, but more importantly I want (personally) Wizards to be able to out-cast-and-out-last other classes when it comes purely to spellcasting. :)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
UPDATE: the 2nd Level Spell Lists have been updated given the feedback from individuals. Again, this is an exercise in compromise as well as anything else. Once all the spell levels have been done, and we can examine the lists in their entirety, further adjustments I am certain will be made.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it is much appreciated!
Looks good. The only things I'd change is giving Alter Self ans Misty steps to Wizard in exchange for Spider Climb and Web. I agree that Misty Steps could potentially fit the ''fey'' theme of the druid if we quint a little, but Spider Climb and Web are right on theme for a nature themed caster, no?

Remove ads