• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

Mulkhoran

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

kreynolds said:

No. That is the definition in the dictionary. It is the plural form of Magus.

Main Entry: ma·gus
Pronunciation: 'mA-g&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ma·gi /'mA-"jI, 'ma-/
Etymology: Latin, from Greek magos -- more at MAGIC
Date: 1621
1 a : a member of a hereditary priestly class among the ancient Medes and Persians b often capitalized : one of the traditionally three wise men from the East paying homage to the infant Jesus
2 : MAGICIAN, SORCERER

Nope. It wouldn't be the first item that requires collaberation, and the DMG fully supports such a thing.

Right. I should have been clearer. The definition of Magus in DnD terms is clearly the Sorcerer, and Wizard, unless you are playing in a setting that *specifically* uses the ancient Persians and Medes.

And as I said above, I'm not surprised that items require collaboration. The fact that THIS ONE requires it, and can only be used by Arcane casters, is what I see as the problem.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The robes are divided between evil, good, and neutrality; IMO that's a very clerical touch. Left to themselves, arcane spellcasters usually care more about school specialization than about alignment.

Note that a cleric's assistance isn't strictly required. If a wizard really really wants to go it alone, he can use Limited Wish to emulate the two cleric spells. This would be considered inefficient, though. At 300 XP per spell, two per day, for 75 days, he'd be out 45,000 XP.

So you can either swallow your pride and ask a cleric for help, or do it all by yourself and give up two levels' advancement.

Mulkhoran

First Post
AuraSeer said:
The robes are divided between evil, good, and neutrality; IMO that's a very clerical touch. Left to themselves, arcane spellcasters usually care more about school specialization than about alignment.

Note that a cleric's assistance isn't strictly required. If a wizard really really wants to go it alone, he can use Limited Wish to emulate the two cleric spells. This would be considered inefficient, though. At 300 XP per spell, two per day, for 75 days, he'd be out 45,000 XP.

So you can either swallow your pride and ask a cleric for help, or do it all by yourself and give up two levels' advancement.

This is going to sound ridiculously cheesy, but...........

Technically, you may not have to give up the XP. Since Limited Wish would be functioning as the spell to be used, and the magic item creation rules state:

"If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making an item, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require, nor are any XP costs inherent in a prerequisite spell incurred in the creation of the item."

Emphasis is mine. I realize that arguing for this is EXTREMELY cheeseball, but in this *particular* case, I would say it's justified, just so the Wizard or Sorcerer can achieve one of the ultimate signature items of his class.

drowdude

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

kreynolds said:

Please understand that I intend no insult, but what is your point?
confused-yellow.gif

EDIT: This is the very reason why the robe is so cheap. It gets a price discount for being restrited to arcane spellcasters.

If your comment was just a joke, please disregard my statement as one coming from a person that hasn't had enough coffee yet. :D

Not really a joke. Just pointing out that the robe only works for arcane spellcasters, making your response somewhat inane. ;)

The definition of magi in a real-world sense has no meaning when discussing the particulars of D&D. Every instance where you see the word "magi" in the core books, that I am aware of, is refering directly to arcane spellcasters. Thus in D&D Magi = Wizard (or Sorcerer).

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight.....

Mulkhoran said:
And as I said above, I'm not surprised that items require collaboration. The fact that THIS ONE requires it

What makes this item any different from the other items mentioned above? Why are you troubled by it?

Mulkhoran said:
and can only be used by Arcane casters, is what I see as the problem.

There isn't anything inherently problematic with restricting the functionality of a magic item to a certain race, class, alignment, etc. This is an option you can build into an item, mentioned in the DMG on page 243, in the Sidebar.

I actually think the robe is kinda cool. It's a slick flavor item for spellcasters that are aligned with priestly organizations. I wish I had found it sooner though. I could have used something like this a few games back. :)

Marshall

First Post
AuraSeer said:

Not really. Since the rules specify that you dont pay the XP or expensive matl component cost for spells used in item creation.

wallshot

First Post
AuraSeer said:

do the spells need to be cast every day of the crafting process or just once at the culmination of the crafting? ill admit that ive only scanned the rules for item creation (no one in the parties ive ran created items [sept for one guy who had a special PrC made for him by a prior DM that had its own creation rules]), but since im gonna be running a wizard in a world were +1 items are considered relics of a bygone age, i wanna be clear on how that works (i plan on making items to sublimate the lack of purchasable/scavenged items).

kreynolds

First Post
Mulkhoran said:
This is going to sound ridiculously cheesy, but...........

Not cheesy, but incorrect. See the DMG errata.

p. 243, Creating Armor, 3rd Paragraph:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp“If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the armor, the creator must have prepared the spells to
be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material
components or focuses the spells require, nor are any XP costs inherent in a prerequisite spell incurred in the
creation of the item.”
REPLACE with:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspIf spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the armor, the creator must have prepared the spells to
be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) , and must provide any material components
or focuses the spells require, and must pay any XP costs required for the spells.
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspThis error recurs twice on page 244, three times on page 245, and twice on page 246.

Last edited:

Mulkhoran

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Robe of the Archmagi - Bless and Spell Resistance.........riiiiiiiiiight....

kreynolds said:

What makes this item any different from the other items mentioned above? Why are you troubled by it?

There isn't anything inherently problematic with restricting the functionality of a magic item to a certain race, class, alignment, etc. This is an option you can build into an item, mentioned in the DMG on page 243, in the Sidebar.

I actually think the robe is kinda cool. It's a slick flavor item for spellcasters that are aligned with priestly organizations. I wish I had found it sooner though. I could have used something like this a few games back. :)

I think it's just that you and I have differing views on what this item is. For me, it represents one of the quintessential items of the Wizard's craft, and always has since 1st Edition, where it was *unquestionably* one of the key mage items. I don't see it as a collaborative item, just as I don't see a Staff of the Magi[/i] as a collaborative item.

Differing styles, I imagine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads