D&D 5E Rules you ignore

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The precise rules for readying an action are way too finicky for me. Instead I just have players tell me what they want to do and I tell them whether they can do all that on this round or have to wait until next round for some of it.

ccs

41st lv DM
Inspiration.
I just never think about it.

Passive perception.
Once again, not something I think about. If it's something I want someone to know sans die roll? Then I'll tell them. Doesn't matter what their passive Perception is. If it's in question? Then there'll be a roll.

The entire CR system as far as encounters are concerned.

The beast companion rules for rangers as printed in the PHB.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
A rule I forgot that I ignore: inspiration as written. I met all three of my players at a local AL game, and the DM there gave everybody one inspiration point per adventuring day. We all just did that automatically when we started my campaign and it wasn't until reading this thread that I remembered it's supposed to work differently.

Hastati

Explorer
In general, every group I have ever played with (going back to 1978) ignores material components for spells. I don't think it dramatically changes the game except to stop the "quest for components" discussion between spellcasters and the DM.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I've always been of the "If we don't find it interesting or it's getting in the way of awesome, we don't bother with it" school...

- Like a lot of others, I don't generally require every last ounce of gear to be accounted for as long as it seems like the character could reasonably carry it, and any reasonable explanation for managing the logistics of large numbers of things or heavy items is fine by me.
- Ammunition and food are also things that tend to be only loosely tracked - as the cost of such things is generally very low, assuming the character has access to a source of new ammo/food on a semi-regular basis and that they remember to occasionally throw a gp or two at it I don't bother making them count it exactly, although if the party's going to be heading out into the wilderness/down into a dungeon for an extended period I'll require them to drop some cash on supplies.
- Lifestyle costs only apply if the characters are trying to live high on the hog.
As a side note, over the years I've usually gone with the premise that gold pieces are basically for the character's armor/weapon/magic item budget, and that food/ammo/lodging are covered out of copper or silver pieces - and when I've bothered to track those kinds of mundane expenses I've just added in a bit more of the smaller coinage to compensate for them.

Depending on an edition's rules for things like jumping, stealth or object interactions, I generally just use them as guidelines and am willing to allow a fair bit of wiggle room as long as it seems reasonable. For example, it seems logical that you may be able to jump farther if the area you're aiming for is lower than you are, that you can hide anytime the narrative circumstances are plausible, or that anybody who regularly fights with two weapons is probably going to be wearing them in a fashion that allows them to draw both of them at once (I have no problem with a knife thrower being able to pull out enough blades in one turn to make his full number of attacks)... I wouldn't let you go from wielding sword-and-board to shooting a bow on the same turn, but if you're using them I'm not going to quibble over whether or not you have a free hand to cast a spell.

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I ignore Suffocating rules for how long a creature can hold its breath when under high stress such as combat holding it for a number of minute rounds equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds 1 round).

Bayonet

First Post
Encumbrance, definitely. Every now and again I'll let the characters know whether they can carry all this treasure/goods/whatever or whether they need porters or a cart, but that's about it.

I always forget inspiration, even though I like it.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I don't ignore inspiration myself, but my players do. After a few sessions of "You guys have inspiration, use it already!" to no avail, I just dropped it. It's weird, because a few of them are always advantage-fishing, you'd think having a free use on their character sheet would be just the thing for them.

Insert armchair psychology here.

-TG :cool:

Horwath

Legend
Inspiration: very few DMs bother with this. Could just say that it recharges after long rest.

Encumbrance; ignored unless your character sheet looks like supermarket inventory list.

Somatic components(unless bounded to prevent just that or carrying a 200lb barrel)

Food and water, unless in really difficult terrain for foraging.(polar, underdark, desert).

Remove ads