D&D 5E Rules you ignore

Ranthalan

First Post
My players are much bigger sticklers for the rules than I am. I'm very lax with encumbrance, but they actually enjoy figuring out just how much of the horde they fought for they can carry: who carries what, who get's the belt of giant strength, how much can they fill a chest and still carry it... I call it D&D: the spreadsheet.

They're also sticklers for tracking rations and when they need to forage. They even want to roll to see how much food and water was found.

Ranthalan

First Post
I don't ignore inspiration myself, but my players do. After a few sessions of "You guys have inspiration, use it already!" to no avail, I just dropped it. It's weird, because a few of them are always advantage-fishing, you'd think having a free use on their character sheet would be just the thing for them.

-TG :cool:

I house ruled that inspiration expires at the end of the session. Although my players are pretty quick to use it, regardless

ccs

41st lv DM
Inspiration: very few DMs bother with this. Could just say that it recharges after long rest.

Wouldn't work in my groups.
I don't think about it because I & most of the people I play with have been playing these games for years/decades. Or editions that don't have this. We don't NEED a rule to encourage us to RP, do cool things, come up creative ideas, etc. We just do these things because that's how the game is played.... And the newer players (we have 4 who's only edition xp is 5e) are all in. They were actively doing what the rest of us were within their 1st session - BEFORE they owned the PHB!
So since we have no need of this rule it just gets forgotten - until a thread like this comes along.

LapBandit

First Post
Inspiration: Changed to everyone has one at the beginning of the session, but you have to use it on someone else's d20 roll. Gets heavily used for skill checks and saves.
Anything that doesn't make sense in the moment that isn't game-breaking.

manduck

Explorer
Our group ignores encumbrance and tracking ammo. Mainly because we just forget to track it anyway. Plus no one wants to sit around the table for an hour doing inventory management. There are monsters to slay! If we encounter an obviously large treasure horde, like a dragon, then we take a little time to say something like "one of us will go back to town and get a cart". That's as far as we take it though. For ammo, we just make that the background stuff our characters take care of "off camera". It's assumed they get meals, take a bathroom break, and do their supply runs in the downtime. Buying or making more ammo falls into that category.

Nevaroth

Villager
My group tends to ignore encumbrance, and the need for food and water. We basically just ignore the survival aspects to make the game move quicker.

hejtmane

Explorer
I ignore material components because I hate magic based on components never used them for most spells one exception resurrection. Hell I have quit reading fantasy books with magic based on components it bothers me that much. Wizards are not witches sorry that is my rant on that subject.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Grakarg

Explorer
I ignore the rule limiting PC's to only 1 point of inspiration at a time, as I find that players tend to hoard it.

I use poker chips to represent the point of inspiration (kind of like savage worlds bennies) and award extras based on good roleplaying and doing cool things in game.

Since allowing players to have a couple on hand has made it much more likely that they'll use it, including giving it to other players to spend.

That said, I don't give out tons of inspiration, everyone gets 1 at the start of the session, and I award a couple more throughout the game.

Remove ads