D&D 5E Savage Attacking Rogue

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Current
Feat: Savage Attacker
Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon's damage dice and use either total.

Fix
Savage Attacker
Once per turn when you roll damage for a weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice and use either total.

When you hit a creature with a weapon attack on your turn, you can make that attack a critical hit. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I guess you are looking for feedback on this? If so, that is a HUGE boost in power, even if only once per long rest.

You also changed it from "melee weapon attack" to just "weapon attack", and I can't really see the idea of a feat called "Savage Attacker" working on ranged weapons.

If I may ask, what is your goal with these changes? What are you trying to accomplish?

Kurotowa

Legend
Giving people on-demand auto-crits is incredibly powerful. It lets them trigger it not only at the most important moment, but reliably combo it with other abilities that add extra damage dice. And from your subject line you plan to give this to a Rogue? Who gets to make an on-demand critical Sneak Attack? Bad, baaaaad idea.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
How would you guys fix the feat? And what would be the ranged version of it?
Well, Savage Attacker as is is kind of weak IMO, so maybe add a STR +1 to it? Honestly, I don't know since I've never seen it taken.

For a ranged version, call it "Precise Attacker" maybe, and have it function the same, but with DEX +1?

Shiroiken

Legend
How would you guys fix the feat? And what would be the ranged version of it?
Fixing feats is really hard to do without making the OP. The problem is that there are many, many bad feats that aren't worth the ASI. In addition, you only get so many ASI/feats, so every feat has to be something meaningful. Finally, there are a ton of feats that fill out the niche of a character design and those are almost always the first choice of feats.

Something I've done is to take two bad feats and combine them together to try and make them more appealing. With Savage Attacker I removed the once per turn restriction and combined it with Charger. Still haven't had anyone even consider taking it.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Fixing feats is really hard to do without making the OP. The problem is that there are many, many bad feats that aren't worth the ASI. In addition, you only get so many ASI/feats, so every feat has to be something meaningful. Finally, there are a ton of feats that fill out the niche of a character design and those are almost always the first choice of feats.

Something I've done is to take two bad feats and combine them together to try and make them more appealing. With Savage Attacker I removed the once per turn restriction and combined it with Charger. Still haven't had anyone even consider taking it.
It’s a feat worth considering if it allowed ranged attacks. Wild Card Rogues that use Playing Cards would love this feat since that a d4 where you have a 50% chance of getting what you want and you can reroll it to it if you don’t get the effect you want.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases