• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Section 9/Spycraft OOC Thread

I'm planning to run a Spycraft play-by-post game. Is anyone interested?

If there is sufficient interest I may also run a Spycraft series via OpenRPG.

Last edited:

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
I would love to... I ran a face-to-face one for about 4 months before work and the wife said "Not so much gaming for you". Really enjoyed the game a lot (of course now I am in love with M&M and super-hero RPG but a little dark gritty realworld-superspies would be cool also :))

What are you thinking? Time-period? Mercenary, Spies, etc...

I have the main rules, and the Shadowcraft Archer book and the Arms one but none of the class splat books (as I don't get to game outside much, I'm not getting much game stuff any more).

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
I'm interested, I have a little bit of experience with Spycraft through the little intro pdf but thats it, I have the abiliy to make a character but don't know what they get through level progresion. I did though in my search for Spycraft stuff come across a huge list of real world guns and their stats. :D

Mirth

Explorer
I'd be up for this too. Hey Festy! If you have any questions about the creation and/or leveling process, I've got the main book. Email me if you want.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Kewl thx :D

I've got a 1st lvl fixer up my sleeve, made it a fair while ago, might chop and change it a little but thats what I've got in mind. ;)

Check out the guidelines . I have an idea of what kind of game that I want to run but I'm interested in hearing what the players want. I'll be asking prospective players to fill out a questionnaire to get a feel for what the players like.

Active interest and participation is essential. Play-By-Post live on frequent posts. Many PBP games have died due to a lack of interest and activity. Players are expected to post 4 to 5 times a week.

Mirth

Explorer
Spycraft Season Questionnaire

=== PLAYER ===

The following questions are to help the Game Control gauge what sort of general interests the gaming group has relative to Spycraft. Feel free to elaborate.

1. Have you ever played in an espionage roleplaying game campaign? If so, describe it - what you thought about it that worked and what you thought didn't work.

I've played Top Secret, the James Bond RPG, Gangbusters, Cyberpunk and probably a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

2. How familiar are you with the D20 system?

I'm fairly fluent with d20 but I've never played Spycraft before, even though I own the main book.

3. What's your favorite spy movie or book?

Top 5 Movies (in no particular order)
Sleuth with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier
The Conversation by Francis Ford Coppola with Gene Hackman
Prime Suspect BBC series with Helen Mirren
From Russia With Love with Sean Connery as James Bond
The Thin Man film series with William Powell

Top 5 Books (in no particular order)
Fatherland, Enigma, Archangel three different novels by Robert Harris
Berlin Noir trilogy by Philip Kerr
The Spy Who Loved Me by Ian Fleming (completely different from the film)
100 Bullets graphic novel series by Brian Azzarello & Eduardo Risso
Planetary graphic novel series by Warren Ellis & John Cassaday

4. What sort of character would you likely play in a Spycraft game if you had no limitations? Is there an established character in the genre that appeals to you that you might use as a basis?

I'd have to go for the prototypical Brit spy - someone like James Bond or Harry Palmer, depending on the tone of the game of course.

=== TONE ===

Morality:
5: Morality is always in shade of gray

Realism:
2: Cinematic

Outlook:
3: Successes balanced by failures

Seriousness:
4: More serious than light-hearted

Continuity:
2: Mostly episodic with some continuing stories

Setting

* Cold War: The long winter between the West and the East.
or
* Modern Day (Alternate Universe)

Characters

Importance:
3: Agents occasionally have an effect on world affairs

Starting Level
3: Experienced Agents: 5th - 10th Level

Points For Abilities:
2: High Powered: Average Ability Score of 13-14

Character Training:
5: Agents are all Agency trained

Character Connections:
4: Agents mostly know one another

Character Origin:
4: Agent backgrounds are mostly rooted in the mundane

=== AGENCY ===

Agency Types:
4: International Espionage Agency

Offices and Distribution:
4: International

Sponsorship:
4: Government

Administrative Control:
2: Loose Laws: Agents can get away with minor violations but must avoid committing any serious offenses.

Agency Credentials:
2: Unknown: No one has even heard of the Agency. They get no cooperation and receive no attention.

Hope this works for you. Let me know how we need to proceed with character creation. Just so you know, I'm not dead set on these answers. I can and would be willing to play in any type of espionage campaign.

Jay

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads