D&D 5E Sneak Attack with spells?

Ahh, but playing on that knowledge WOULD be metagaming. It's the familiar that the bad guy is seeing as the issue. He doesn't know if the rogue has some other way to make him vulnerable.
I don't see the issue with metagaming. If I want combat to feel immersive, I defintiely wouldn't be playing D&D.

Vaalingrade

Legend
In-universe knowledge of the game rules (advantage, HP) used to make in-universe choices is the actual definition of metagaming.

There's a difference between just being a hardmode DM and 'fighting smart'.

ECMO3

Hero
In-universe knowledge of the game rules (advantage, HP) used to make in-universe choices is the actual definition of metagaming.

Not really. If a bat is flapping around you every single turn and causing a character to have an easier time hitting you it is not metagaming to counter that.

It is also not metagaming to realize you can probably kill said bat with one shot.

Those are in game thematics for advantage and hps respectively.

If the enemy wins initiative and open up on its first turn going out of its way to kill the bat before it has done anything (or maybe even think of it as an threat), then yeah sure that is metagaming.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
God I hate the whole concept of RAW. I've never seen anyone apply this, nor would I apply it myself. It doesn't make any sense and it's based off rules text that predates these kinds of cantrips anyway.

No it isn't and Crawford clarified it in Sage Advice I believe. Also it is an important rule when you consider Sneak Attack and the damage bonus that comes with Booming Blade. It is necessary to keep a Rogue with Booming Blade close to another Rogue in terms of damage output.

It is not that complicated. It is a simple concept, you need to use the attack action to use TWF. Booming Blade + TWF would be no different than Fireball + TWF or invisibility + TWF. Every table I have played at has enforced this, or at least I assume they enforce it and do not try to abuse it.

There is an exception to this: a character with 6 levels of bladesinger can cast a cantrip as part of the attack action, but that is the only exception that I know of.

Irlo

Hero

??? If we didn’t use player knowledge of hit points to make in-game decisions, no one would ever cast a cure wounds spell. And without game rules knowledge of advantage, why would anyone send a familiar into combat? But I’ll leave it there.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Not really. If a bat is flapping around you every single turn and causing a character to have an easier time hitting you it is not metagaming to counter that.

It is also not metagaming to realize you can probably kill said bat with one shot.
While allowing the person actually damaging you to continue to do so with impunity just to show up the player.

Its just like ignoring the people beating on you to attack downed enemies in order to force death saves; a metagame move to increase difficulty.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Which is not what is happening when you kill the familiar. What is happening is an in-fiction choice to kill the parrot because the parrot is causing you a deadly in-fiction distraction that is getting you hurt badly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
While allowing the person actually damaging you to continue to do so with impunity just to show up the player.
Well, no. You aren't allowing it with impunity. Allowing it with impunity is what would be happening if he DIDN'T kill the annoying familiar. Killing the familiar stops it.
Its just like ignoring the people beating on you to attack downed enemies in order to force death saves; a metagame move to increase difficulty.
In a whack-a-mole world? No. That's also a smart in fiction move. Better to let 3 people beat on you briefly than to ignore the downed PC and soon have 4 beating on you again.

Remove ads