D&D 5E Nest of the Eldritch Eye Was Released To Eve of Ruin Pre-order Customers

Exclusively on D&D Beyond for those who pre-ordered.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 11.45.59.png

Vecna: Nest of the Eldritch Eye has been released to those who pre-ordered Vecna: Eve of Ruin from D&D Beyond.

It's a small dungeon crawl for 3rd-level characters in Neverwinter's sewers, largely used to seed the idea of Vecna early in a campaign long before Eve of Ruin's 10th-level campaign. Those who pre-ordered can grab it now--it is only available exclusively to those who pre-ordered Eve of Ruin from D&D Beyond.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yes. It's fine, while hardly essential.

Take your group of four to six level 3 characters into the sewers of Neverwinter! Find a small cult to Vecna and defeat them! Work for Lord Neverember!

A few nice touches in the dungeon encounters. It's a 15-area dungeon plus an introductory encounter.

Five of the encounter areas have combats. Given the level range, I'd expect it can be completed in 3-5 hours, but as I run combat quickly, might be slower for some groups. There's exploration and the possibility of some roleplaying. (Incredibly, the party can cause one room of cultists to surrender with an Intimidate check! Experienced players might not even try...)

It seems most of use in an ongoing level 1-20 campaign where you use it to seed in the idea of Vecna existing early on, then return to it for the level 10-20 Vecna: He's Really Really Alive Now* (sorry: Eve of Ruin) campaign later on.

To play this adventure first, then fast-forward levels to starting Eve of Ruin doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Cheers,
Merric

* Vecna Lives! Vecna Reborn! Die! Vecna Die! - obviously the next one is "Vecna, He's Really Really Alive Now!".

Serensius

Explorer
More of a general question, since I've never bought anything on D&D Beyond, but does the prequel adventure come as a pdf? Some people have said it's printable, how does that work if it's not a pdf? Literally printing from the D&D Beyond website?

I've not but my friend got one. We've played it. Not bad but either not impressed me.
Anyway, it's really a good thing for DMs to introduce who the Vecna is. Yeah, I definitely have no idea who Vecna is before.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yes. It's fine, while hardly essential.

Take your group of four to six level 3 characters into the sewers of Neverwinter! Find a small cult to Vecna and defeat them! Work for Lord Neverember!

A few nice touches in the dungeon encounters. It's a 15-area dungeon plus an introductory encounter.

Five of the encounter areas have combats. Given the level range, I'd expect it can be completed in 3-5 hours, but as I run combat quickly, might be slower for some groups. There's exploration and the possibility of some roleplaying. (Incredibly, the party can cause one room of cultists to surrender with an Intimidate check! Experienced players might not even try...)
As I mentioned in another thread, I've run it with 4 4th-level characters and I've added an encounter at the beginning. The party skipped the "Oghma" encounter and we finished it in 3.5 hours.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
As I mentioned in another thread, I've run it with 4 4th-level characters and I've added an encounter at the beginning. The party skipped the "Oghma" encounter and we finished it in 3.5 hours.
It's so hard for me to judge how long these things should take. The adventure actually says "two or three hours". But I know how varied groups can be.

"We finished Lost Mine of Phandelver in eight weeks." "Oh, we've been playing for over a year!"

;)

Cheers!

Remove ads

Remove ads