• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So..tell me about Eberron

Rechan

Adventurer
Hairfoot said:
Eberron, more than any other setting, encourages that type of character and play. As I said, it's great for players that enjoy high-power comic-book fantasy, but the OP might be disappointed if he prefers things on a grittier, more mortal level.
Then, not to be rude, but D&D may nto be that person's game. Even in 2e, your fighter could stand there and let a mugger stab him with a dagger several times before he was even close to half his HP. That's not what I'd call gritty.

To me Indi is just a rogue. He gets a good Sneak Attack with his Improved Unarmed Strike on the Nazi he surprises on the plane, or when he steals the guy's outfit (and Sneak Attacked the sword guy in the bazaar), but he can't out-box a room full of nazis. He makes liberal use of Action Points, and has a great reflex save. He isn't a megaman who can slaughter a room full of demons because, well, his class is rogue. He's a skill man.

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
Rechan said:
Then, not to be rude, but D&D may nto be that person's game. Even in 2e, your fighter could stand there and let a mugger stab him with a dagger several times before he was even close to half his HP.
Well, that's a bit of a misrepresentation. HP has always been an abstract concept. If the player were to state that his fighter stands there and lets the mugger stab him, any DM worth his salt is going to declare the PC dead. If he's fighting the mugger, however, HP respresents a measure of luck, skill, and endurance.

The 3E model is different because it's specific. The player whose PC is wielding a greatsword in each hand can point to the rules which say he leaps 30 feet into the battle, then takes his whirlwind attack against 8 opponents, killing all of them. That sort of action wasn't standard in previous editions.

Oh, Indy is definitely a rogue, but he can't jump like a flea or climb like a spider, and at a "high level" he's not going to qualify for a prestige class which allows him to phase in and out of reality, or turn invisible. While those things are appropriate for dedicated spell users, it pushes the superhero barrier too far for skill/martial classes.

But it's not about edition wars. I simply believe that Eberron, with Dragonmarks, PC election, etc. implies that type of super-fantasy more than other settings.

Rechan

Adventurer
Hairfoot said:
Well, that's a bit of a misrepresentation. HP has always been an abstract concept. If the player were to state that his fighter stands there and lets the mugger stab him, any DM worth his salt is going to declare the PC dead. If he's fighting the mugger, however, HP respresents a measure of luck, skill, and endurance.

The 3E model is different because it's specific. The player whose PC is wielding a greatsword in each hand can point to the rules which say he leaps 30 feet into the battle, then takes his whirlwind attack against 8 opponents, killing all of them. That sort of action wasn't standard in previous editions.

Oh, Indy is definitely a rogue, but he can't jump like a flea or climb like a spider, and at a "high level" he's not going to qualify for a prestige class which allows him to phase in and out of reality, or turn invisible. While those things are appropriate for dedicated spell users, it pushes the superhero barrier too far for skill/martial classes.
Neither is he fighting beholders that shoot laser beams out of their eyes, or dragons the size of a house trying to squish him. He doesn't have a bucket full of magical items like gloves that make him as dexterous as an octopus.

He's fighting mooks in a world with Reality and normal Physics, not facing extraordinary, mystifying challenges.

D&D is Magic.

It sounds to me like someone is complaining that they can't force a round peg into a square hole.

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
Or rather, the designers thought there was more money in turning a round hole into a square one! They were right, too.

The notion that fighters and thieves are suprahuman, supernatural figures is entirely a 3E concept, which Eberron has cleverly pickup up and run with.

If the OP wants to play a high-fantasy, shape-shifting Wolverine character, he's going to love Eberron. If not, he might find it a bit...cheesy.

Rechan

Adventurer
Hairfoot said:
If the OP wants to play a high-fantasy, shape-shifting Wolverine character, he's going to love Eberron. If not, he might find it a bit...cheesy.
Then if he thinks it's cheesy, Eberron isn't for him?

Rechan

Adventurer
Hairfoot said:
Then if one finds Eberron cheesy, then eberron isn't for him?

Hairfoot

First Post
Well, that's for him to decide. As I said, I like many things about Eberron, but I'd have to modify it heavily to suit my taste.

FalcWP

Explorer
Hairfoot said:
But it's not about edition wars. I simply believe that Eberron, with Dragonmarks, PC election, etc. implies that type of super-fantasy more than other settings.

This just really baffles me because, as has been noted, the assumption is that your average people (even folks who fought in the Last War, maybe even decorated veterans) are primarily going to have NPC classes. Yes, the PCs are going to go beyond that, as will a number of people that they interact with. But even considering that, I don't see them going as far beyond the average person as you see in any other setting.

Once you get in to the higher levels in Eberron (anything in double digits qualifies for me, though you could certainly look at a higher point), it gets hard to find credible threats that won't alter the balance of power in the setting. Unlike other settings, where there are always bigger threats out there, and high-level PCs are merely powerful individuals, not nearly mythic. Me, I think that someone who can do the stuff you're uncomfortable with should be a near-mythic character, not half the folks at the local tavern. For me, Eberron embraces that. If you're a 14th level adventurer in FR, you're special, sure, but there's dozens of other folks out there that could do your job. If you're a 14th level adventurer in Eberron... assuming you're getting any sort of recognition at all, your name is probably plastered all over the papers, there may be plays and songs about you across Khorvaire... you're unique.

As far as Indy... no, he wouldn't be qualifying for classes like that in the real world, because he's a real person. For the way he prefers to adventure, he probably would avoid most classes that give him a supernatural edge like that, in the same vein that he doesn't use any technological gadgets or gizmos. That's because that's how Indy adventures.

But say we wanted to look at James Bond instead. I think there's certainly a place for a James Bond character in Eberron - a member of Breland's Dark Lanterns or one of the Royal Eyes of Aundair, or maybe an elf bearing the Mark of Shadow. I'd personally say Bond is an Artificer, and if he isn't, then Q certainly is. At the very least, he has an outrageously high Use Magic Device bonus. Bond relies on technological gizmos in our world; in a world like Eberron, he would rely on a Handy Haversack full of magical items. And I could see him going in to a class that gave him magical abilities, to replace some of the skills Bond has in a world based on technology.

I also don't get how dragonmarks are super-fantasy, but sorcerers apparently are ok (since you said you only really have a problem with skill and martial folks, but not spellcasters). I mean, the common backstory for a sorc seems to be a bloodline that has magic flowing through it, giving them an innate ability to cast spells. But dragonmarks, those are... bloodlines that have magic flowing through them, giving an innate ability to cast spells.

Now, it really does sound like you have more of an issue with the rules of 3E than anything else, and, yes, if you run Eberron precisely as its written, you might not be happy, since the setting was designed around those rules. But if you implement more 'realistic' rules, whatever they may be for you, I don't think you have to make more than minor changes to the setting, since nothing I've seen you mention is actually related to Eberron.

Hairfoot

First Post
I'm not interested in a passionate debate over the minutiae of this. The thread is for the OP's benefit, and I've said what I believe will be relevant to him from my point of view.

I wish Eberron all the best, and I look forward to cherry-picking good ideas from it in the future.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hairfoot said:
The notion that fighters and thieves are suprahuman, supernatural figures is entirely a 3E concept, which Eberron has cleverly pickup up and run with.

Muh? :confused:

Uh. Wow. Must be a different Eberron I've been reading lately. . . :uhoh:

(. . . and am looking forward to running a bit of.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads