Solo: Star Wars A Flop?

Overall, no, they won't lose money. They just won't make as much. As noted above, there's merchandising and licensing to consider that are not mentioined in the box office gross. They'll make their money back, eventually.

The catch being the timing doesn't help the toy sales either. Since unlike other films there's no Christmas rush.
And there was a lot of news on how SW toy sales dropped in 2017.
And Solo is more of a grown up favourite character. I'm not sure his toys will do well.

It made a profit. Not a flop. Lower than hoped for? To all of the producers their movies could have brought in more.

Then there is merchandising......

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Then there is merchandising......

UIeFuLk.jpg

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Beyond the original trilogy, there isn't a good Star Wars film. Star Wars is too tied with Jedis, the Force and the Skywalkers. It doesn't have the dept to generate other interesting stories to tell on screen. The second trilogy showed us that and the four new films confirmed it. The Force Awakens is a good demontration that nothing new can be added to the cinematic universe. This is why there is already Star Wars fatigue among the general audience and Solo isn't on par with box office-wise when compared to the other films.

Continuing to produce Star Wars material should be limited to novels who are for a very targetted audience.

Speaking of lack of dept, the up coming Avatar films are going to be hilariously hollow.

MarkB

Legend
Beyond the original trilogy, there isn't a good Star Wars film. Star Wars is too tied with Jedis, the Force and the Skywalkers. It doesn't have the dept to generate other interesting stories to tell on screen. The second trilogy showed us that and the four new films confirmed it. The Force Awakens is a good demontration that nothing new can be added to the cinematic universe. This is why there is already Star Wars fatigue among the general audience and Solo isn't on par with box office-wise when compared to the other films.

Continuing to produce Star Wars material should be limited to novels who are for a very targetted audience.

Speaking of lack of dept, the up coming Avatar films are going to be hilariously hollow.

Rogue One had barely a Sith cameo, and it was excellent. It certainly wouldn't have failed as a story if they'd dropped Vader entirely.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Disappointment =/= flop.
There is also the fact that Disney has proven that they do not 'grok' what makes Star Wars a different sci-fi franchise from others.

But since the resulting movie was entertaining, Ron Howard ought to get credit for salvaging the mess he was handed. Budget and time constraints prevented him starting over from scratch; I think the movie would have been stronger if he had been involved from Square One. (I consider Ron able to produce above-average movies reliably and sometimes excellent movies.)

Zardnaar

Legend
Rogue One had barely a Sith cameo, and it was excellent. It certainly wouldn't have failed as a story if they'd dropped Vader entirely.

Rogue One performed better than expected. Expectations were lower and it exceeded them. It also did a lot better in its opening weekend.

Numbers are also low for Solos second weekend and it's projected to get less than 450 million which is actually a loss. That 450 expectation might be optimistic numbers are very low weekend 2.

ccs

41st lv DM
Here's my opinion of Solo:

I was entertained - in a generic sci-fi action movie kind of way.

That's not a ringing endorsement as I've watched equally/more entraining shlock via my Amazon Prime act.
The sad thing is that I've also watched worse SW movies than this....

All you're really getting here is a good Lando performance by Donald Glover, a fairly uninspired heist/double cross plot, some SW window dressing, & a check list of Solo related details (most of wich have never needed any backstory - gun, name, attitude, etc.)
Oh, and there's some guy in it trying to play the role of Han Solo.

If you see it? See it as cheaply as possible & set your expectations to zero.
If you never see it? You'll have missed exactly nothing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases