D&D 5E Sorcerer-only spells

From the sounds of things, there aren't going to be a lot of spells in the PH specifically for sorcerers only. I was hoping for otherwise.

However, I myself can't come up with a lot of examples of spells that clearly should be restricted to sorcerers - or even spells that are designed for sorcerers to use.

So far:

Anything involving dragon transformations is obvious
Anything involving wild surges is obvious
Some sort of spell that directly references the sorcery pool, making it more versatile than a wizard could hope to be.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for sorcery-themed spells?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I can't think of any good reasons why Sorcerers should have unique spells.

The way I see it:
  • Wizards should have a huge spell list
  • Warlocks should have most or all of those (maybe a few unique ones like "Cthulhu's Icy Grasp" or whatever)
  • Sorcerers should use spells from the Wizard list (could be all, as in 3e, or a small fraction)

If a Sorcerer can cast something, there's no reason a Wizard shouldn't. I mean, you could come up with spells that mess with sorcery points or whatever, but why would you want to?

Stuntman

First Post
The sorcerer's and warlock's spell list are subsets of the wizards. I only took a casual look at them yesterday. The sorcerer's and warlock's spell lists doesn't have some of the more utility spells that wizards have. Sorcerers and warlocks have a more limited number of spells that they know. I think the trimmed down spell list is so players won't look through a bunch of spells that a sorcerer or warlock player would most likely won't take with the few spell slots that they have. The warlock's list is smaller than the sorcerer's.

Charles Wright

First Post
Since the officially licensed spell card decks break down into "Paladin", "Arcane", "Ranger", "Bard", "Druid", and "Cleric" I don't think that they're going to make Sorcerer and Warlock lists anything more than a subset of Wizard spells (for the most part).

Most of what separates them from one another would be their "path" powers, I think.

the Jester

Legend
Do wizards get armor of Agathos or whatever that 1st-level warlock spell is?

I can see converting a lot of the 2e wild mage spells to sorcerer spells in 5e. Basically, hey, bro, I heard you like chaos when you chaos, so I put some chaos in your chaos so you can chaos while you chaos. Broheme.

Do wizards get armor of Agathos or whatever that 1st-level warlock spell is?

I can see converting a lot of the 2e wild mage spells to sorcerer spells in 5e. Basically, hey, bro, I heard you like chaos when you chaos, so I put some chaos in your chaos so you can chaos while you chaos. Broheme.

Which is when [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] should show up.

But seriously, it won't be as fun to write rules for wild mages if wild mages are already core. I'll pretend that the 'metamagic sorcery pool' to alter spells on the fly was inspired by the Sculptor of Chaos prestige class I wrote back in 2002.

You could probably invent some spells that wild sorcerers would particularly want, but I can't think of a good reason to restrict wizards from learning them too. Stuff like inflicting a curse on another spellcaster so their spells have a high chance of wild surge, or perhaps chaos blast, which rolls 3d10 for random area of effect, energy type, and physical appearance of the spell -- something a wild mage could easily surf into the form she wants.

Vael

Legend
Here's an out there suggestion: Add Cure Wounds to their spell list. Bards already break the idea that Arcane magic cannot heal, and Sorcerers are tapping into their own innate spell power, I'd let them heal. Faerie Fire might also work for them.

Stuntman

First Post
The warlock has some spells that wizards do not have such as Eldritch Blast and armor of Agathos. I didn't look at the sorcerer spell list as closely, but I didn't see anything on the sorcerer list that doesn't appear on the wizard list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases