Sorcerer: the only class I'm worried about (and how I'd make it)

LordArchaon

Explorer
The sorcerer. I define it as the most neglected class in D&D. Maybe because it was born only as a variant mechanic on the Wizard, and because when it got separate spells (powers) in 4e, the edition design philosophy was still that of not differentiating classes at deep levels. But the result is that the Sorcerer has become one of those classes that the devs themselves have trouble finding a space for. (Today's seminar has a quote stating this.)

What's the matter? Simple. When they assume they'll cast the same arcane spells of Wizards, they necessarily dumb it down in that sense, and when they change the spells, they give the impression of them being just copies with changed flavor, a bit more damage, and Charisma-based.

Why? Because the truth is that they haven't found the "soul" of the Sorcerer yet. And I think they're not trying hard enough, because I honestly think I did.

Sorcerers are the only characters who have innate arcane powers. Warlocks have the big at-will magic shtick too, but it's not coming from their blood, they're powers granted by a patron.
So it's only Sorcerers that should really feel magic coming out of their bodies.
So here's my first point: what's exactly Charisma-related about this? I think that's the first error. Ok, certain spells, even if they come natural to the sorcerer may be better controlled or casted with a strong force of will/personality etc that is Cha, but should their internal arcane wellspring of power be truly fuelled by that? No, I think there's one ability score that fits the bill perfectly. Constitution. It doesn't fit the bill for Warlock powers (not as primary at least, and they recognized it in the long run), it doesn't for the Battlemind, at least as they did it, because they have weapon powers fuelled by psionics that even if innate, should then still pass through their weapons which are moved by Strength. But it does fit the Sorcerer! It's magic in their blood we're talking about, I don't see a more perfect fit. Although I also have different ideas for the ability scores of Sorcerers, more on that later.

The central problem of the Sorcerer is that we assume they "cast spells". I think that sacred cow should be killed. No, not talking about changing power source (although Elemental was a wasted opportunity...) or even the "spells" in "casting spells". I'd remove the "casting". Because I think they should MAKE spells. They have magic in their blood, not spells. So they should make them, before actually casting them.
I think the sorcerers should be the ONLY class that actually has a spell-making system in it. They should be able to make their spells on the fly, because it is a natural function for them. As we take a leak, they throw fire balls! And we males are quite capable of directing our pee in any of very many possible ways! :D So Sorcerers should be able to form many different spells from the raw energy they have.

Another thing: they can't have all possible arcane forces inside their blood, there should be limits. And Sorcerers are famous for their lack of versatility compared with Wizards. So I say they'd get a maximum of two "spell-seeds" (think keywords, or damage types, anyway mostly elemental in nature) and use those only. They could change them (retraining) but it shouldn't be possible at each level, it should be a traumatic thing for the sorcerer, because he/she would be transforming his very essence.

So, they'd have "spell-seeds" (example: "Force and Earth"), and then they'd have "forms". Forms should differ a bit from seed to seed. You can't make earth explode like fire, at least not at low level... Earth would be about controlling terrain, making it muddy (slowing), or impassable (walls), or using it for defense (shielding). So I actually mixed what could be considered effects (slow) with true forms (wall). Maybe they'd be separated. I don't have the time to come up with a good system, but the devs are paid for this, and anyway I know of a very good starting point in Pathfinder's Ultimate Magic book: the Words of Power, making the Wordcasting option! It gives you some constraints in terms of power, and you can build a lot of different combos within those limits. Should be the same for the "true Sorcerer".

Class features... Well, we got many options. Because many are the possible spell-seeds. Each should give some benefits, a bit like the Spell Source feature of 4e. In particular, elemental magic should "linger" around the sorcerer after usage. You cast a fireball? a halo of fire damages foes that attack you afterwards. You conjure a bridge of ice to cross a chasm? Your allies would like to stay away from you immediately after if they don't want to get slowed by your aura of cold. And so on.
Another wasted opportunity in 4e was represented by a Sorcerer feat: Sorcerous Vision. It does something cool by replacing Perception with Arcane and suggesting that Sorcerers "see with magic", but being Arcane a skill tied to Intelligence, it's simply useless. I think the class features of the Sorcerer should reflect the fact that their metabolisms are changed by magic. Sorcerous Vision could be one of these things.

Also, here comes combat role. Of course, it would largely be based on the spell seeds. Assuming there could be a Charm spell-seed, [now that's something I'd see from a Charismatic type... I'm getting there...] the sorcerer using it would surely be the party face, because he/she'd get at the very least some at-will boons in social interactions. And in combat she would be a quintessential controller. Now, Charm is a bit problematic, because maybe we want other classes to master it better (Psion-Telepath for example, or Bards), but even with our example Force & Earth sorcerer, Earth would mostly be a controllerish spell-seed. Air could be even more controllerish, with Wind-walls, gusts of wind, tornados and so on. Earth could be more defenderish, along with Ice. Fire would obviously be strikerish. So a lot of options.

As you can see, I say Sorcerers should be defined by what kind of magic they have inside them. So let's talk about ability scores again... What if Constitution is actually useful for certain kinds of magic and not others? After all we said magic comes natural to them like peeing. We don't pee better if we have better Constitution! :D But if we poured ice instead of urine, then I guess we would like A LOT of Con to do it..! :D Exactly... I say different spell-seeds tied to different Ability scores. Here's how I see it:

Strength: Force and Water (yes, water! Maybe it includes Acid)
Dexterity: Fire and Air (maybe it includes Lightning)
Constitution: Ice and Earth

If we include more general magic, then I'd also make

Wisdom: Illusion and Necromancy?
Charisma: Enchantment and Transmutation?

No Intelligence. Because magic needing Intelligence is magic needing to be studied, and that's Wizard, not Sorcerer!
So, a classic character with two good ability scores could choose from at least 4 different spell seeds, and could have only 2 at a time. Our example had Force and Earth: it means Strength and Constitution. It means his other options would be Water and Ice. Maybe he wants to become a full defender, so he swaps Force for Ice. or he wants to become a full controller, so he changes Earth for Water.

Assuming they wanted to stay close to tradition and keep Charisma as primary (and make me unhappy by doing so :-S ), they could still have the equivalent of riders key off like this. In that case, you'd be even more restricted, because you'd need 3 good scores to be able to choose from 4 spell seeds, assuming Charisma is not used to not step on other classes toes with Charm and Transmutation. Maybe Charisma could be tied to a catch-all spell-seed for non elemental magic.

Anyway, I think I gave you a good idea of how could the Sorcerer really be different and appeal to a big player base. You'd have little variability but incredible flexibility. There could be rules for mixing your two spell-seeds and create wonderful effects. There could be rules to allow creativity to an extent and invent spells that are not covered by the Forms available to you. Our Force & Earth Sorcerer could grant a mass fly by making a floating earthmote for example, or could propel spikes of rock in the air as missiles, impaling enemies or pinning them.
I really hope they'll come up with similar solutions for the Sorcerer, but I'm nearly sure they won't... I think too many fans would feel this concept as too alien, too "not core" for the game. Well, D&D Next will be modular... So who knows! :)

What do you think about this kind of Sorcerer? PEACH!

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I agree that Wizards of the Coast hasn't yet found a sufficiently distinctive "soul" of the Sorcerer class. I suppose they're working on that.
There's supposed to be something coming out soon (February?) that goes into the Sorcerer a little bit more. ("H.O. t. Elemental Chaos?")

My reservations about your proposal are these:
(1) Drastic changes from past representation of that class wouldn't be unifying. WotC is trying to be unifying with D&D Next.
(2) Having multiple different casting attributes for a single class is one of the things that people complained about most loudly with the 4E PHB1 Warlock; and that was with only Charisma and Constitution involved.

My main point of agreement with your proposal is the provision for aftereffects: Sorcerers pour so much power into their work that not all of it ends up in the desired effect; however, instead of lingering auras around the Sorcerer's body, I would have it appear as lingering arcane afterimages impressed into the ground or air or water they are standing on. Fading slowly with time, the arcane afterimages would allow trackers trained in Arcana to follow a Sorcerer much more easily than following a Wizard.

Greg K

Legend
I like Charisma rather than Con. Draconic, Infernal, and Fey sorcerers are, generally, portrayed as charismatic- often intimidating, but sometimes diplomatic, alluring and/or charming.

What I want to see is more ties to their heritage (not as handled in Pathfinder with bloodlines) and magic being something innate.

And, if magic classes in the PHB are going to be Vancian, I like spontaneous casting.

LordArchaon

Explorer
Well yes, I also think this wouldn't be a unifying concept. Although the class has been around for the latest two editions only and it already changed once quite a bit, so I could see another change especially since we all agree it needs focus.

Yes, focusing on the lingering effects could be a way to treat them. Less spells known, more effects from those spells. The problem is that they would still cast the same spells of Wizards with this system, and people new to the game could say "Why if I have magic inside me can't I at least modify these spells? Is it that spells are encoded as they are in my DNA or something?" - So if wanting to remain within a classic system, I'd at least make them absolute masters of "meta-magic"...

It could change from bloodline to bloodline though as Greg K suggests. I'm not particularly sold on those bloodlines because fey and infernal are already pacts, and it could cause confusion with the Warlock. I'm actually for making Sorcerer true Elementalists and say they have elemental magic in their blood, origins/reasons/ties could then be just fluff.

Nivenus

First Post
I think the idea behind Charisma as the base stat is that Charisma isn't "charm" per se... it's strength of personality. A barbarian with a commanding presence, even if they're abrasive personally, has high Charisma. It's why Intimidate is based off of Charisma, rather than Strength, which if you think about it makes sense - a powerful crimelord doesn't need to be physically strong to be intimidating, even without goons beside him or her.

Tying this to magic is a bit of a tricky issue and to a certain degree, I'd agree that Constitution makes more sense if you interpret the use of magic as requiring a toll on the body to cast (The Witcher series uses this assumption, for example). However, I'm not convinced D&D has ever made this assumption, as much as I'd be willing to live with it.

On another note, I think that if they're looking to bring the Sorcerer to 5e (which it sounds like they are) they should look for some kind of iconic character who embodies the sorcerer. Wizards have it easy - students who go to a magical school and learn to cast magic is as old a fantasy trope as they come, not to mention the variety of real-life mystical traditions - but the sorcerer is a bit more nebulous.

My own suggestion would be Merlin, who's usually depicted as "naturally gifted" in modern stories, even though his original incarnation would probably be closer to a D&D druid.

LordArchaon

Explorer
If I associated Charm (with capital C) with Charisma was because of the mechanic I was proposing, of tying the "spell seeds" (keywords) to stats. I didn't mean I thought Sorcerers casting with Charisma used their "charm". I'm ok with "force of personality" used to cast magic, but that's what the warlock does already: uses magic granted by a patron by simply tapping on his force of personality.

Granted, one could say Sorcerer are more like this, while Warlocks are somehow cursed by their granted powers and this has a toll on their body, but I intended Constitution in a different way for the Sorcerer. It wouldn't be "negating a toll on your body", because then you'd never improve after a certain point. It would be "directing the flow of the magic you got inside you". Constitution in the most metabolic sense. Control over one's body.

Speaking of iconics, Merlin surely is a sorcerer in most depictions, "mechanically speaking", but visually... No different from a Wizard. Making Constitution and/or other physical stats the Sorcerer's bread and butter would have allowed for a much more different visual impact, compared to the Wizard. I see sorcerers as "brawny mages" that like to show off their sculpted body always crackling with elemental magic. Note that their bodies could be sculpted by their inner magic, resulting in good physical stats, or apt at directing their inner magic because of good stats. One thing could justify the other or vice versa.
Here's how I envision a typical sorcerer:

raitaro_by_daa_truth-d3ct7ec.jpg

In the end, if most people consider bloodlines tied to different monsters the differentiating aspect of sorcerers, and don't want them to cast differently or different spells, I think my concept could really depict another different class, the Elementalist.

Nivenus

First Post
If I associated Charm (with capital C) with Charisma was because of the mechanic I was proposing, of tying the "spell seeds" (keywords) to stats. I didn't mean I thought Sorcerers casting with Charisma used their "charm". I'm ok with "force of personality" used to cast magic, but that's what the warlock does already: uses magic granted by a patron by simply tapping on his force of personality.

Mmm. Perhaps. I've certainly encountered warlocks in D&D who have a strong personality (Ammon Jerro from Neverwinter Nights 2 is one example). However, I don't think that's a requirement of the Faustian archetype endemic to the warlock class.

Still, I'll agree that warlocks and sorcerers - within the mechanics anyway - tend to step on each other's toes.

Granted, one could say Sorcerer are more like this, while Warlocks are somehow cursed by their granted powers and this has a toll on their body, but I intended Constitution in a different way for the Sorcerer. It wouldn't be "negating a toll on your body", because then you'd never improve after a certain point. It would be "directing the flow of the magic you got inside you". Constitution in the most metabolic sense. Control over one's body.

That's an interesting idea and one I hadn't considered. I usually think of Constitution as purely a person's physical durability and ability to withstand punishment, but that may be too narrow of a definition, as you suggest. An interesting point. I'd still say that Constitution as a base ability would suggest to me that the magic was taking a physical toll - which I'd be fine with, personally - but I'll grant you your point.

Speaking of iconics, Merlin surely is a sorcerer in most depictions, "mechanically speaking", but visually... No different from a Wizard.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mechanically." I was talking pure flavor. It's not as if Merlin uses Vancian magic or has spontaneous casting. Merlin's a magically gifted individual whose power comes from his unusual bloodline (demonic, in this case).

Making Constitution and/or other physical stats the Sorcerer's bread and butter would have allowed for a much more different visual impact, compared to the Wizard. I see sorcerers as "brawny mages" that like to show off their sculpted body always crackling with elemental magic.

You mean like this guy?
1370623-170807093.jpg

Helpful footnote: That's Azar Javed from the aforementioned Witcher games.

In the end, if most people consider bloodlines tied to different monsters the differentiating aspect of sorcerers, and don't want them to cast differently or different spells, I think my concept could really depict another different class, the Elementalist.

Yeah, I think that's how most people think of sorcerers and it's to me the main difference between them and wizards or other arcane classes. However, I do think your ideas are interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing how they could be implemented, either as part of the sorcerer class or elsewhere.

One thing that's pretty clear to me is that WotC will have to work hard to give the sorcerer their place in the sun. In 3e, they were essentially wizards with a few mechanical tweaks and a different backstory. In 4e, they were powered-up warlocks. They deserve more than that, I think, if you're going to include them as a class.

LordArchaon

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I'll try to pitch this thing to WotC when the playtest starts, if I don't like what I see about the Sorcerer... In some way, I'm confident that they managed to differentiate it a bit (for example with bloodlines that never overlap warlock's pacts...), but still, the main problem is already within the name of the class. In English it's just synonymous of wizard, and in other languages it's even harder to find a distinctive term (English has a lot of synonymous terms!) - I think this is why people kind of expect the Sorcerer to be similar to the Wizard. They would like it to be different, but then if it's too different they'll say "Wait, wasn't this supposed to be some sort of Wizard anyway?"... So it's tricky. As I said, a true master of elemental magic with the ability to morph raw energy should be called Elementalist. Sorcerer could then become the Wizard variant with spontaneous Cha-based but normal spellcasting... :)

Remove ads