D&D 5E Spell Versatility is GONE. Rejoice!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
DING-DONG the rule is dead!
It's been removed! Not in the book!
DING-DONG the horrible rule is gone!

:D

Yeah, Spell Versatility was never going to see the light of day at our tables. We all thought it was pretty bad. :p

Weiley31

Legend
Player: Spell Versatility killed my dog, gave my sister a kid she wasn't ready to handle, and made my life a living hells. I started snorting grounded up D20s cuz of it. Got so bad that I stoled my kid brothers' D12 for a quick fix. It got what it deserved!!!...-breaks down into tears-

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
i h a t e anybody ever, i unnecessary.
I know what it feels like when people keep on clipping people's quotes to make them say things they didn't. Really annoying!

I mean, technically they said those letters in that order, so it isn't false, just misleading.

Oh, and don't be too hard on yourself; I'm sure someone needs you.

(I dunno, is this taking the "warlord argument" joke too far? Poll at 11.)

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I always thought spell versatility was too much as written.

I'd be okay with a nerfed version, but seeing how people saw Favored Foe, maybe its best it doesn't exist at all.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
DING-DONG the rule is dead!
It's been removed! Not in the book!
DING-DONG the horrible rule is gone!

:D

Yeah, Spell Versatility was never going to see the light of day at our tables. We all thought it was pretty bad. :p
I really don’t understand this thing where folks are celebrating the loss of a thing that other folks really wanted.

Like I’ve never in my life had this impulse. What is it?

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
And yet they gave most casters some form of cantrip versatility... except for Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters.

Sigh.

Gadget

Adventurer
Spell Versatility, as presented, really came off to me as just lazy design that homogenized classes quite a bit. I mean, a sidebar explaining to new DM's that if players of non-prepared spell casting classes were really disappointed with their spell choice between levels, just let them swap out a spell choice, would have sufficed. It was like saying, "Well, we can't make this work, so we'll just make everybody like the wizard!" Now, one can argue that this is kind of what 5e did with the Sorcerer and spontaneous casting, but at least that was an edition change that presumably gave each class its own identity.

However, I'm not sure if it was design aesthetics or balance polishing that caused the removal or survey results reflecting poorly on the feature that did it in. I suspect the later.

Last edited:

I really don’t understand this thing where folks are celebrating the loss of a thing that other folks really wanted.

Like I’ve never in my life had this impulse. What is it?
So you have never celebrated when your favorite sports team won a match, even though the fans of the opposing side really wanted their team to win?

Remove ads