D&D 5E Spellcasters and Balance in 5e: A Poll

Should spellcasters be as effective as martial characters in combat?

• 1. Yes, all classes should be evenly balanced for combat at each level.

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • 2. Yes, spellcasters should be as effective as martial characters in combat, but in a different way

Votes: 111 53.9%
  • 3. No, martial characters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 49 23.8%
  • 4. No, spellcasters should be superior in combat.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 5. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Votes: 27 13.1%

• Poll closed .

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
what kind of adjustments to the class system are we talking about?
Well, if you want to add a Warlord you have two initial problems. One, it needs to be mechanically different enough from the fighter to not just seem like a tacked on bit of fluff. Two, the current class and subclass system doesn't actually leave a lot of design room for what a Warlord should be good at without stepping on some siloed class toes. Personally, I'd want to unbuckle subclasses into a list of abilities and let people take them that way, which would actually leave a ton of design space to realize a Warlord just by adding abilities. I'd probably go with a list of general abilities and then bespoke lists of class specific abilities (replacing subclasses). The abilities themselves would probably need pre-req's to make things work.

A step farther is to unbuckle classes themselves into a master ability list, but I can't see WotC going that far.

I'd be worried optional healing would just make magical healing even more powerful and important.
Nit really, since you regenerate those spells way less and so you'd rather try to avoid healing with spells.
The healing domain cleric's channel divinity is big however. But that is his signature.
All in all, only regenerating at one 7th the normal rate makes a week of travelling with 1 encounter per day as dangerous or probably 3 days of adventuring with 2 short rests in between and then a week of rest a good pacing.
Actually we play with resting rules somewhere between gritty and normal (one full day of rest is a long rest) and it works out just fine.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, if you want to add a Warlord you have two initial problems. One, it needs to be mechanically different enough from the fighter to not just seem like a tacked on bit of fluff. Two, the current class and subclass system doesn't actually leave a lot of design room for what a Warlord should be good at without stepping on some siloed class toes. Personally, I'd want to unbuckle subclasses into a list of abilities and let people take them that way, which would actually leave a ton of design space to realize a Warlord just by adding abilities. I'd probably go with a list of general abilities and then bespoke lists of class specific abilities (replacing subclasses). The abilities themselves would probably need pre-req's to make things work.

A step farther is to unbuckle classes themselves into a master ability list, but I can't see WotC going that far.
Stepping on a few toes is fine. Stepping on an entire foot is not. I think that there's room for a good Warlord class.

Undrave

Legend
Well, if you want to add a Warlord you have two initial problems. One, it needs to be mechanically different enough from the fighter to not just seem like a tacked on bit of fluff.
That’s easy enough! Just cut the following:

Heavy Armor proficiency
Second Wind
Fighting Style
Action Surge
Third and Fourth Attack
Indomitable
A few ASI

And then give them an incentive to run mental stats.

Then build from there. It won’t feel like a Fighter anymore.

That’s easy enough! Just cut the following:

Heavy Armor proficiency
Second Wind
Fighting Style
Action Surge
Third and Fourth Attack
Indomitable
A few ASI

And then give them an incentive to run mental stats.

Then build from there. It won’t feel like a Fighter anymore.
Yeah, that sounds like a start for exactly the sort of warlord that I don't want to see. A weedy nerd that can't fight well and hides behind others. To me warlord evokes an image of a person who's a mighty warrior on their own right, leading a force of other warriors. And what sort of medieval general would go to war without their full plate?

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, that sounds like a start for exactly the sort of warlord that I don't want to see. A weedy nerd that can't fight well and hides behind others. To me warlord evokes an image of a person who's a mighty warrior on their own right, leading a force of other warriors. And what sort of medieval general would go to war without their full plate?
A samurai?
Aside from the Fighter, most other fightey types only ever get two attacks so there’s room to cut there.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

While I get your concern, a good warlord class (one worth having) needs to encompass one that can lead from the front OR from the rear - depending on player preference. It's been a minute, but from what I recall, the 4e Warlord class handled both just fine.

Remove ads