• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Stalker0's Xanathar Spell Ratings

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Ceremony can be very powerful if you cast Wedding Ceremony. Stacking +2 AC to two creatures that lasts for days for a 1st level slot is great. You just can't cast it again until that creature is widowed. You just need to marry off the party of each other at the start of each adventure, and the kill them (thus widowing their partners) and Raise Dead them at the end of each adventure. Then you do it again next session.

Can't tell if serious.

While I agree these are sub-par as player choices, each can be a solid choice for the bad guys. Why? Because both can cause ongoing damage if the target misses their save. And ongoing damage equals failed death saves if the character is dropped. Further, immolation turns the target to ash if it causes the damage that kills the target.

I used vitriolic sphere against a mid-level party in PotA. I didn't expect much from it, but two characters blew their saves, both dropping due to initial damage. The follow-up damage caused each to take a failed death save. The remaining party members scrambled to stabilize them, giving the bad guy more time to pound them with other spells. The party ended up retreating to avoid a TPK.

This isn't an issue when PCs sling spells at NPCs, as the rules generally assume bad guys die when they reach zero hit points. But for PCs, who make death saves, any spell with ongoing damage has an extra element of danger.

Vetriolic sphere and melfs acid arrow btw both have something many forget:
A second instance of damage which does 2 things:
- stopping regeneration for a second round, even if you miss with your firebolt then. So it can save you a spell against trolls.
- forcing a second concentration check for enemy spellcasters.

The same is also true for immolation. Which makes it still not a very good spell for that level.

Aganazzars scorcher in 2nd edition used to be usable a second time on a second turn too. A little bit like witch bolt.

I am very sad that in later editions that was removed.

pnewman

Adventurer
Can't tell if serious.

Serious that the RAW will let you do this. Serious that this is what Munchkins will do once they can afford the "Raise Deads". Not serious that I think it is a good idea.

OTOH the gods know that the Raise Dead spell exists, so if they left the widowed loophole in the "Ceremony" spell they must be fine with profaning the "sacred" institution of marriage in such a crass fashion....

CapnZapp

Legend
Serious that the RAW will let you do this. Serious that this is what Munchkins will do once they can afford the "Raise Deads".
I don't think anyone's too interested in hearing what munchkins would do. This edition is not even meant to be waterproof, so my advice?

Go find a Dungeon Master who can say "no".

(That goes for the Demon Army as well. My comments were obsolete, I was thinking about a discussion from the time of the PHB summon/conjuration spells. They don't have that +3d6 minutes duration thing at the end of the hour)

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Hi I'm Solon Lee. My loved one left me 2 months ago. I'm here to tell you about the magical power of Xanathar spray It can transform your life and get your loved one back to you. (even if they don't want to.) You use this miraculous spray to snare your loved one into a binding ceremony. Watch out for those nasty in-laws that can cause fear and dish out power word pain. Did the earth tremor for you? It did for me. Don't hesitate to email me on Ineedgpnow@gmail.com Now!

My names are Ashley Vivian, Am here to share a testimony on how Dr Raypower helped me. After 1/5 year relationship with my boyfriend, he changed suddenly and stopped contacting me regularly, he would come up with excuses of not seeing me all the time. He stopped answering my calls and my sms and he stopped seeing me regularly. I then started catching him with different girls several times but every time he would say that he love me and that he needed some time to think about our relationship. But cannot stop thinking about him so i decided to go online and i saw so many good talk about this spell caster called Dr Raypower and i contact him and explain my problems to him. He cast a love spell for me which i use and after 24 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and started contacting me regularly and we moved in together after a few months and he was more open to me than before and he started spending more time with me than his friends. We eventually got married and we now have been married happily for 3 years with a son. Ever since Dr Raypower helped me, my partner is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before.You can also contact this spell caster and get your relationship fix Email: urgentspellcast@gmail.com.

[video]https://i.imgur.com/AzbW0Xk.mp4[/video]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads