[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"Lower Decks" was the name of Next Gen Season 7, Episode 15, back in 1994, and that episode is the inspiration for the series. They have the prior art on that one.
I remember it well. It was a joke, not an actual legal challenge!

(The Burn has also been used by the recent Roll20 sci-fi RPG Burn Bryte).

MarkB

Legend
I wonder what percentage of their dilithium they just gave away, without realising just how valuable it now is, and what that does to the ship's operational time.

Dilithium's a little odd in that it's not actually a fuel - Federation starships are fuelled by antimatter. The dilithium is what allows the matter and antimatter to come together in a controlled fashion inside the warp core, emitting their energy into the warp nacelles instead of in a random direction. However, dilithium crystals do break down gradually when in use, and as of Discovery's origin time they hadn't yet developed the technology to recrystalise spent crystals (introduced as a plot point in Star Trek IV, and built into the warp drive as standard by the TNG era), so Discovery is actually thirstier in terms of dilithium consumption than more modern vessels.

On the other hand, they only really need to use dilithium when they're travelling at warp speeds, so this could make their Spore drive even more valuable to them than it already was.

Dire Bare

Legend
On the other hand, they only really need to use dilithium when they're travelling at warp speeds, so this could make their Spore drive even more valuable to them than it already was.
I think that's it, that Discovery's spore drive puts them ahead of everybody else in this new future, despite being 900 years behind in other technology.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought it was a joke, but mainly because I can't imagine Morrus making a sincere claim to the terms. Hey, you ought to know him better than I do.

We have solidly established that Morrus often says things jokingly that I miss. However, I have never taken him too lightly when he was being serious. That's more important to me.

And, if he doesn't want to use an emoji to indicate his intent, that's on him. :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Burnham blew up her time-travel suit . . . but they do have the plans to build it again still in Discovery's computers. All they would need is another time crystal!

No. I was talking about the spore drive. When they came back from the Mirror Universe, they also moved in time about 9 months. So, in theory, they may be able to do other time travel.

But, time travel tech isn't unknown in this distant future either, just outlawed. Why hasn't somebody else dusted off some old time-travel tech to fix the issue already?

They mention that all of it has been destroyed.

MarkB

Legend
Replying to myself because past me missed something that I just realised.
Hopefully the intervening time can be skipped over with a bit of exposition and a flashback scene or two, rather than having another solo Burnham episode to fill in the blanks.
...Oh, wait. Episode 3.1 is called That Hope Is You Part 1. Episode 3.2 is not called That Hope Is You Part 2. So I guess we're back to solo Burnham for at least the majority of next episode.

That doesn't bother me in terms of it being a Burnham episode. I actually enjoyed 3.1 more than 3.2, and I like the chemistry between Burnham and Book. But I was looking forward to seeing the whole crew back together.

Dire Bare

Legend
Replying to myself because past me missed something that I just realised.

...Oh, wait. Episode 3.1 is called That Hope Is You Part 1. Episode 3.2 is not called That Hope Is You Part 2. So I guess we're back to solo Burnham for at least the majority of next episode.

That doesn't bother me in terms of it being a Burnham episode. I actually enjoyed 3.1 more than 3.2, and I like the chemistry between Burnham and Book. But I was looking forward to seeing the whole crew back together.
Actually, checking out the episode titles on IMDB . . . there is no "That Hope is You Pt 2" at all during Season 3, which is interesting

There is a "Unification Pt 3"!?!?! and a back-to-back two-parter "Terra Firma" . . . .

MarkB

Legend
Actually, checking out the episode titles on IMDB . . . there is no "That Hope is You Pt 2" at all during Season 3, which is interesting

There is a "Unification Pt 3"!?!?! and a back-to-back two-parter "Terra Firma" . . . .
Interesting. Plans for the next series, maybe? Or just a simple case of re-naming one episode and forgetting to trim the title of the other.

Remove ads