Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
  • While it is established that different species have different incubation periods with the gorn, I will agree 20 minutes is crazy fast for any life cycle. Even our common fly, which is genetic extreme simple and its a very small creature, still takes at least 8 hours or so to hatch (often 20 hours). My rationale was that Hemmer knew help wouldn't be available from the enterprise for hours yet, and Hemmer knew that if he stayed the crew would do everything they could to save him....which would end up getting them killed.

(I try not to dwell to deeply on that, because, ugh, but IIRC it was established early in the episode that the reason for splitting them was because it would take at least a week for the Enterprise to go there and back. While it was unclear how long had passed on the show, help from the Enterprise would have been several days ... not hours. Moreover, everything we had seen to this point indicates that maybe this is an example of "better safe than sorry" given that one egg-carrying person had taken out an entire starship.

Anyway, I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a season finale! I have a strong feeling that it may be a little anti-climactic, given that we just saw one main character killed and another written off for the time being, and we may just see a setup for next year. Even so ... this show has exceeded all of my expectations.)

Ryujin

Legend
(I try not to dwell to deeply on that, because, ugh, but IIRC it was established early in the episode that the reason for splitting them was because it would take at least a week for the Enterprise to go there and back. While it was unclear how long had passed on the show, help from the Enterprise would have been several days ... not hours. Moreover, everything we had seen to this point indicates that maybe this is an example of "better safe than sorry" given that one egg-carrying person had taken out an entire starship.

Anyway, I can't recall the last time I was this excited for a season finale! I have a strong feeling that it may be a little anti-climactic, given that we just saw one main character killed and another written off for the time being, and we may just see a setup for next year. Even so ... this show has exceeded all of my expectations.)
It's really making me long for the old 30-odd episodes seasons, from when I was a kid.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's really making me long for the old 30-odd episodes seasons, from when I was a kid.

Yes, but I think we forget just how much filler that usually required.

...then again, I think we also see that there can be plenty of filler in the 10-13 episode seasons too.

BookTenTiger

He / Him

My prediction: a full episode of Hemmer's next of kin receiving the news, holding his funeral, slowly moving on... remarrying, moving to a new planet, grandkids being born... the memory of Hemmer slowly fading...

And then we hear Riker's voice: "Holodeck, freeze program."

Everything pauses, and Riker steps out into the scene. "So that's why Hemmer was Snarf's favorite character. Now I finally understand..."

Thomas Shey

Legend

...then again, I think we also see that there can be plenty of filler in the 10-13 episode seasons too.

I've actually seen an argument that with anything over about 8 episodes you start to run into that, back when the Netflix Marvel shows were on. Its less clear how much that has to be true with a more episodic show like STSNW, which is kind of outlier in modern genre shows.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

"Filler" is not a function of the number of episodes. It is a function of whether the writers actually choose to do something with an episode. What we usually call filler is an episode that's not part of a major plot arc for the season. Traditionally, that has made filler some of the best opportunities to resolve character development.

SNW, however, doesn't have major plot arcs as such, so... every episode is filler.

Ryujin

Legend
"Filler" is not a function of the number of episodes. It is a function of whether the writers actually choose to do something with an episode. What we usually call filler is an episode that's not part of a major plot arc for the season. Traditionally, that has made filler some of the best opportunities to resolve character development.

SNW, however, doesn't have major plot arcs as such, so... every episode is filler.
Or it's used to describe activity, in a show, that does nothing to drive the plot forward. Things that aren't intrinsic to the story or involving character development. There are shows in which people sit around, talking about nothing in particular. That's also filler.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While when I enjoy a show I don’t want a season to end, I definitely appreciate being left wanting more rather than something overstaying it’s welcome. Not that it’s a binary thing.

Ryujin

Legend
While when I enjoy a show I don’t want a season to end, I definitely appreciate being left wanting more rather than something overstaying it’s welcome. Not that it’s a binary thing.
I can certainly agree with that and am quite impressed with a show when the showrunners have an arc they want to cover, stick to it, and ignore the offers of more money to continue rather pointlessly. Especially so when I'm left wanting more, because it's obvious that they could continue to make bank.

I hate these short seasons. I guess they are "great" for the creators....they shoot a couple shows in a couple weeks, then go on vacation for a year.

Oh, and sure, each show cost like a billion dollars.....but you know what, that is ALL on the creators. You could cut out 75% of the CGI Crap Spam and still have a good show.

I'm not a fan of filler, but I would have liked to seen more events. Just take Uhura. So for the YEAR (?) she was on the ship she sat around and did utterly nothing...and then, oh, that ONE TIME decoded a music language. Wow, what a character arc. Too bad she could not have had like three or four more episodes.

Then take Hemer. He comes on board as the new engineering chief, gets a line in every other episode....when his character is not UTTERLY ABSENT from the show. Oh, and now he is gone.

Pike was worried about his future vision....then that was just dropped. Una is super woman...then that was just dropped. Doc M has a sick daughter....for a couple weeks...and then bam she is cured and living on Cloud Nine. Nurse Chaple is goofy.....but too bad SHE never got an episode. And guess Ortega is just filler.

And....ok....Laan Khan is gone too?

Somehow I get the feeling this was a very hostile show creation. With "them" demanding they "must" put Uhura on the show because "the reason". And the creators are just like..um..sure...and put her in the back ground. Then they demand you MUST have Khans decedent because someone had that wacky idea YEARS ago, but it never made it into offical Star Trek, and it "must" be there. So they add Kid of Khan....just so she can leave the show.

And then too....the show forgets to EXPLORE Strange New Worlds too.......

Remove ads