Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I hate these short seasons. I guess they are "great" for the creators....they shoot a couple shows in a couple weeks, then go on vacation for a year.

Oh, and sure, each show cost like a billion dollars.....but you know what, that is ALL on the creators. You could cut out 75% of the CGI Crap Spam and still have a good show.

I'm not a fan of filler, but I would have liked to seen more events. Just take Uhura. So for the YEAR (?) she was on the ship she sat around and did utterly nothing...and then, oh, that ONE TIME decoded a music language. Wow, what a character arc. Too bad she could not have had like three or four more episodes.

Then take Hemer. He comes on board as the new engineering chief, gets a line in every other episode....when his character is not UTTERLY ABSENT from the show. Oh, and now he is gone.

Pike was worried about his future vision....then that was just dropped. Una is super woman...then that was just dropped. Doc M has a sick daughter....for a couple weeks...and then bam she is cured and living on Cloud Nine. Nurse Chaple is goofy.....but too bad SHE never got an episode. And guess Ortega is just filler.

And....ok....Laan Khan is gone too?

Somehow I get the feeling this was a very hostile show creation. With "them" demanding they "must" put Uhura on the show because "the reason". And the creators are just like..um..sure...and put her in the back ground. Then they demand you MUST have Khans decedent because someone had that wacky idea YEARS ago, but it never made it into offical Star Trek, and it "must" be there. So they add Kid of Khan....just so she can leave the show.

And then too....the show forgets to EXPLORE Strange New Worlds too.......
I know your schtick is to troll for reactions by hatewatching shows, but it's been tiresome for a long time, and is starting to just be irritating. If you have nothing positive to add to these threads, I'm going to ask you leave them. Please try to be better.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
My prediction: a full episode of Hemmer's next of kin receiving the news, holding his funeral, slowly moving on... remarrying, moving to a new planet, grandkids being born... the memory of Hemmer slowly fading...

And then we hear Riker's voice: "Holodeck, freeze program."

Everything pauses, and Riker steps out into the scene. "So that's why Hemmer was Snarf's favorite character. Now I finally understand..."

Technically, #FREEHEMMER is (was) SNK's favorite character. Because there ain't no party like a Blind Warrior Monk party, 'cuz a blind warrior monk don't stop.

Putting that aside, while I can discuss the ways in which ST:ENT was a failure(1), it also had some good moments, and Seasons 3 and 4 were above the Voyager line(2).

The cast and fans did not deserve that ending.

(1) The opening theme, the sexualization of T'Pol, it's been a long road, nonsensical timey-wimey plot line to start the show, getting from there to here, a captain with the defining characteristic of owning a dog, it's been a long time, interchangeable white-guy cast defined by "southern" and "English," but my time is finally near, the constant need for the sexy-time cast to scrub each other down in the showers, CUZ IVE GOT FAITH OF THE HEART .... kill me now ...

(2) The "Voyager line" is the Star Trek version of the Mendoza line. It's the bare minimum level of acceptance for a live-action Star Trek Series. Enterprise seasons 1 and 2 were hitting below the Voyager line, 3 and 4 were above it.

Ryujin

Legend
Technically, #FREEHEMMER is (was) SNK's favorite character. Because there ain't no party like a Blind Warrior Monk party, 'cuz a blind warrior monk don't stop.

Putting that aside, while I can discuss the ways in which ST:ENT was a failure(1), it also had some good moments, and Seasons 3 and 4 were above the Voyager line(2).

The cast and fans did not deserve that ending.

(1) The opening theme, the sexualization of T'Pol, it's been a long road, nonsensical timey-wimey plot line to start the show, getting from there to here, a captain with the defining characteristic of owning a dog, it's been a long time, interchangeable white-guy cast defined by "southern" and "English," but my time is finally near, the constant need for the sexy-time cast to scrub each other down in the showers, CUZ IVE GOT FAITH OF THE HEART .... kill me now ...

(2) The "Voyager line" is the Star Trek version of the Mendoza line. It's the bare minimum level of acceptance for a live-action Star Trek Series. Enterprise seasons 1 and 2 were hitting below the Voyager line, 3 and 4 were above it.
Rather ironically Enterprise only seemed to start giving the fans what they really wanted, after the cancellation was announced.

Hex08

Hero
Rather ironically Enterprise only seemed to start giving the fans what they really wanted, after the cancellation was announced.
If I remember correctly, the showrunner changed for season four and so did the feel of the show. Season four has some really good episodes (to be honest, I think there were a lot of good episodes of Enterprise aside from the temporal cold war stuff).

Ryujin

Legend
If I remember correctly, the showrunner changed for season four and so did the feel of the show. Season four has some really good episodes (to be honest, I think there were a lot of good episodes of Enterprise aside from the temporal cold war stuff).
Some of the early stuff, between the Andorians and Vulcans, had some legs. It could have been built up into the birth of the Federation, which is what all of the Star Trek fans that I know personally were expecting from the show. A "Babylon 5" quote fits in with how I originally thought that was going to go, giving some intrinsic reason why all those races who seem smarter, stronger, or just more resilient than mere humans might consider us to be worth something:

"Humans share one unique quality: They build communities. If the Narns or Centauri or any other race built a station like this, it would be used only by their own people. But everywhere humans go, they create communities out of diverse and sometimes hostile populations. It is a great gift, and a terrible responsibility-—one that cannot be abandoned."

Making humanity the glue that holds the Federation together, rather than the strength that drives it, would have been a great way to go.

Some of the early stuff, between the Andorians and Vulcans, had some legs. It could have been built up into the birth of the Federation, which is what all of the Star Trek fans that I know personally were expecting from the show. A "Babylon 5" quote fits in with how I originally thought that was going to go, giving some intrinsic reason why all those races who seem smarter, stronger, or just more resilient than mere humans might consider us to be worth something:

"Humans share one unique quality: They build communities. If the Narns or Centauri or any other race built a station like this, it would be used only by their own people. But everywhere humans go, they create communities out of diverse and sometimes hostile populations. It is a great gift, and a terrible responsibility-—one that cannot be abandoned."

Making humanity the glue that holds the Federation together, rather than the strength that drives it, would have been a great way to go.
Wow, I totally forgot that this view on humanity came from Babylon 5.
It was my idea of what humanity's role really is in the Federation, but it seems my idea actually came from also watching Babylon 5.

I mean, some say it's because humans might glue two warp cores together just to see what happens, e.g. they build crazy stuff no one else dares to. But I don't believe that, because that is really just a Star Trek trope, and not actually limited to humans. It's Worf that turns a communicator in a projectile shield, and Dax does a lot of jury-rigging stuff as well, Spock builds a plasma-seeking torpedo. Of course O'Brien, Scotty and LaForge do stuff like that a lot, too - but they are the engineers on their respective ships, it's natural they do most of the tinkering. But in the end, it's really just part of Starfleet training (and more so if you're actually an engineer.)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wow, I totally forgot that this view on humanity came from Babylon 5.
It was my idea of what humanity's role really is in the Federation, but it seems my idea actually came from also watching Babylon 5.

I mean, some say it's because humans might glue two warp cores together just to see what happens, e.g. they build crazy stuff no one else dares to. But I don't believe that, because that is really just a Star Trek trope, and not actually limited to humans. It's Worf that turns a communicator in a projectile shield, and Dax does a lot of jury-rigging stuff as well, Spock builds a plasma-seeking torpedo. Of course O'Brien, Scotty and LaForge do stuff like that a lot, too - but they are the engineers on their respective ships, it's natural they do most of the tinkering. But in the end, it's really just part of Starfleet training (and more so if you're actually an engineer.)
No, the B5 version works for Star Trek too. I guarantee it comes from JMS watching TOS as a kid and coming up with the idea. There's evidence to support it.

Remove ads