Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it looked good but the bridge was about as big as the Enterprise-D and Pike's quarters looked like a penthouse compared to what we have seen before on any ship. That's something thing Star Trek: Enterprise did well, it looked small and cramped compared to TOS and then the ships of the TNG era were more spacious. It seemed like a natural progression, older ship building tech led to smaller, more cramped spaces and as technology advanced we got more spacious ships. SNW gives us ships with a lot of room that seem out of place to my eye.

Pike's quarters, for example, had tons of open space, a nice fireplace, a large bar and was probably bigger than any apartment than I've lived in. Kirk's quarters on TOS were way smaller and Archer's on Enterprise were positively cramped. While I loved the show the sheer size of the interior compared to what I am used to really caused my geek brain to freeze up.
PIke's quarters were a bit big yeah. I assume only the captain gets something that nice. The bridge was fine with me though. I tend to think the Enterprise's size is often not portrayed well in the opposite direction--it's a big capital ship, but sometimes you would just get the sense that it's about the size of the Starbug in Red Dwarf if you didn't know otherwise.

Ryujin

Legend
Just 5 minutes in and I didn't need to see any more, to know I was going to like it. The tone was set by showing the end of "The Day the Earth Stood Still." This is how I want to remember Star Trek.

Yes, the Enterprise seems a fair bit bigger than in TOS, but it feels smaller than in the Kelvin movies. It feels smaller than Discovery. And, as to the bridge, I'm wondering how much larger it actually is and how much is wide angle lens distortion. It just feels right to me. Discovery's bridge feels like a repurposed gymnasium to me, whereas Enterprise's bridge feels a bit more naval.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Kelvin Enterprise is massive -- even bigger than the TNG Enterprise (and then kept meeting big black ships 10 times its size). This one is in between the TOS and Kelvin in size. It feels about right to me; like I said, sometimes context makes it feel way too small, when it's the flagship of the fleet. It's about the size of a modern aircraft carrier.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Really liked this episode - As others have said this REALLY felt like Star Trek, more than the other recent outings (though I do think, Lower Decks, as a funny take on Star Trek is quite good).

One Thing I couldn't unsee. La'an Noonien-Singh looked very familiar to me, but I couldn't place it.

But then realized it wasn't the actress or even the character it was the look:

Laan.jpg

Vs.

Drummer.jpg

Second image (for those that don't know) is Kamina Drummer from the expanse - and wow does the style seem identical (to me). They have La'an looking like a belter.

Probably a big coincidence - but let's hope La'an lives up to the comparison!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I really enjoyed it. One of the strongest first episodes in a Star Trek show. I hope it continues to excel.
I'm also really wondering if we'll see an updated perspective on "The Cage" at some point.

Arilyn

Hero
I loved the first episode. Felt like Trek with engaging characters. And the humour is back!
At first the larger size of the Enterprise jarred but then I realized it should be large. What we saw in the 60s was budget constraints with a vague nod to the ship being a submarine. Remember how Spock barked out his comments in the first few episodes of TOS?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I remember a line in FASA’s Star Trek game. paraphrased, but it was that if Starfleet deployed a Constitution class cruiser to your system, you sat up and took notice. It’s like if the USA parked a Nimitz class carrier off your coastline, but x10. There’s only 12 Constitution class starships and they’re powerful, important assets. So yeah, they’re pretty big.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I remember a line in FASA’s Star Trek game. paraphrased, but it was that if Starfleet deployed a Constitution class cruiser to your system, you sat up and took notice. It’s like if the USA parked a Nimitz class carrier off your coastline, but x10. There’s only 12 Constitution class starships and they’re powerful, important assets. So yeah, they’re pretty big.

And that's exactly how it went down in the episode.

Pike was clearly counting on and "Oh #@$!" moment and he got one.

Remove ads