Star Trek TNG How to Watch?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says.

I have had advice to skip to season 3, others have said start at episode 16 in season 2.

Tried watching episode 1 season 1 but yeah not good. Wife is "life's to short for bad TV".

Anyway watched the episode Q who last night S2E16 the first borg one and enjoyed it.

I'm familiar with TNG it's kinda new to wife but we enjoyed DS9.

Start watching episode 17 season 2 or skip to season 3?

MarkB

Legend
I'd suggest just doing a few 'themed' watches - like, all the Q episodes, all the Borg episodes, all the Klingon-centric episodes, all the Romulan-centric episodes, etc.

Then maybe find a decent review site's list of 'classic' episodes, and catch those.

There's not enough continuity between episodes that you'll lose anything significant by picking and choosing, and while I enjoyed the series when it first aired, it's perhaps the most 'of its time' show of any Star Trek series, even including the original 60s series, so it can feel very dated.

Mercurius

Legend
I was binge-watching the whole thing but took a break early in season 6 (to be honest, I got into binge-watching House).

Anyhow, the first two seasons are, overall, sub-par, but there are still some memorable episodes. It really depends what you're after: if you want a deep-dive into Star Trek, watch the whole thing. If you want to watch the show when it hits its stride, start with season 3.

That said, make sure you don't miss "The Measure of a Man" (S2E9) - which some consider (rightly) one of the best episodes of any season.

Larrin

Entropic Good
Start with season 4, watch to the end. Then, once you've got some investment in the characters, you're ready to watch the early stuff and see where they came from. Or Don't. Feel free to pull eject on any episode. If you're ten minutes in and you think "This episode sucks" you may as well stop, it won't get better. The bad episodes never pull a twist good ending, you'll learn to know which aren't worth your life's time.

(season 4 is chosen arbitrarily, there is not real reason for it to be a starting point, but there also aren't many reasons for it not to be your starting point.)

Zardnaar

Legend
I was binge-watching the whole thing but took a break early in season 6 (to be honest, I got into binge-watching House).

Anyhow, the first two seasons are, overall, sub-par, but there are still some memorable episodes. It really depends what you're after: if you want a deep-dive into Star Trek, watch the whole thing. If you want to watch the show when it hits its stride, start with season 3.

That said, make sure you don't miss "The Measure of a Man" (S2E9) - which some consider (rightly) one of the best episodes of any season.

Ok got Measure of a Man loaded and ready to go.

Remove ads