• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars: Andor

pukunui

Legend
Probably 50/50 between that and him kidnapping her to a creepy basement somewhere.
I mean, yeah, he does kind of look at her in that way, but I think that might be a little too grimdark even for this show ...

I am just so glad that the writers did not give in to the tired old trope of "woman falls for her male rescuer". I was so ready, but not ready, for the cringe of her kissing him.
This.

I think the real question is: Will Syril modify his ISB uniform?

MarkB

Legend
The use of diagetic music in this episode was awesome. Starting with the booming tones of the town bell, the marching band of the funerary procession managed to convey both a deep solemnity and a sense of challenge that was all the more effective for the visible effect it was having on the Imperial forces in the town centre.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any show that does "rising tension" more effectively than Andor, and that scene was the peak performance.

pukunui

Legend
The use of diagetic music in this episode was awesome. Starting with the booming tones of the town bell, the marching band of the funerary procession managed to convey both a deep solemnity and a sense of challenge that was all the more effective for the visible effect it was having on the Imperial forces in the town centre.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any show that does "rising tension" more effectively than Andor, and that scene was the peak performance.
Agreed. And they were also playing the show's main theme (which is played in different ways at the start of every episode).

Also, re: the earlier point about the way the Imperial reacted to Maarva's message - I think his intentions were to prevent a riot, even though his actions ultimately were the trigger for one.

Hussar

Legend
Man, there are just so many really dark things to unpack in that show.

They definitely did put this one square in the center of entertainment not really for kids. I imagine that's going to be a tightrope walk going forward. Do you make a Star Wars that's for the pre-teen crowd like most of the animated series (note, I say most, not all) or do you go full on Andor or something in the middle? That's a really tight needle to thread.

pukunui

Legend
Man, there are just so many really dark things to unpack in that show.

They definitely did put this one square in the center of entertainment not really for kids. I imagine that's going to be a tightrope walk going forward. Do you make a Star Wars that's for the pre-teen crowd like most of the animated series (note, I say most, not all) or do you go full on Andor or something in the middle? That's a really tight needle to thread.
I've been watching it with my children (16, 14, and 10). I think the really dark, adult themes mostly just go over the younger ones' heads. I quizzed them about the subtleties of the interactions between Mon and Davo, for instance, and they just didn't really get what was going on there.

Also, was it just me or did others expect those weird flutes, and other overly complex-looking instruments, to be concealing blasters?
I didn't.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads