Star Wars: reboot/remake?

We know sci-fi get old very bad. Today youngest generations miss current technology we can't see in the vintage sci-fi, for example the mobiles.

A reboot of a famous IP as Star Wars is very risky. We know is one of the biggest cash-cows in the enternaiment industry. A new mistake and the fandom could be really angry.

The time travel is canon in SW, and Disney can allow the idea of the multiverse.

A reboot could allow to "update" the high-tech, for example adding nanontechnology and also digital immortality/mind uploading. The lore could allow more force-users factions, not only jedis and siths. The yuuzhan vong could be rewritten and they could use inorganic technology but AI and robots. Maybe a rogue faction found the way to travel time and they started the conquest of the galaxy before Palpatine was born.

How should be the reboot to be forgiven this sacrilege by the fandom?

tumblr_o7ccidiSfi1qigfjto1_1280.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or hell, reboot something that has been dormant for a long time, like Flash Gordon.

I would love to see a very very clearly marketted AU version of star wars, even as a cartoon, using more of the original and otherwise discarded visual ideas and names and such.

Like, The Adventures of Anakin Starkiller and Luke Skywalker, with stormtroopers that have lightsabers and big shields, and rebels with lightsabers and blaster pistols, etc, etc.

But I have no interest in an actual reboot of Star Wars.

Zardnaar

Legend
Would prefer a new story. You can evoke the OT using things like X wings or Jedi vs Sith in the past/future.

You don't need to literally copy a lot of the OT though just making things bigger and "better".

Mercurius

Legend
I think the way to go would be to set a new story in a different section of the galaxy, far far away. Star Wars vibe and tropes, but no or little connection to the main story. I'm not a fan (at all) of rebooting iconic characters with new actors. The new Trek films were OK on their own, and the actors did as well as they could be expected to do, but Leonard Nimoy is Spock; William Shatner is Kirk, etc.

Hollywood needs to be more daring. OK, utilize established IP to leverage sales, but do something different. Of course my preference would be something new new...but attempts at that are rarely successful.

How about this for a story base: A few Jedi survived Order 66 and fled to the other side of the galaxy, establishing a new Jedi order. It is 30ish years later and a new threat emerges. Voila, there you go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases