Star Wars The Most Overused Tropes?

How to kill Jedi 101. Use shotguns.
Or the stun setting on blasters, which, as demonstrated on Leia right at the beginning of the original movie, is big, wide, presumably unblockable rings.

I mean there's lots of weapons that could defeat the improbable "Jedi blocks laser blast" trick. But stun is already there in universe and presumably just requires flipping a switch on their blasters.

Oh, well:

1.Super small, super tiny Galaxy: Hop in a ship and be anywhere in just minutes
2.Few Worlds: with something like 10,000 planets, we see the same handful all the time
3.Good "Rebels": from people who are not exactly on the "good side"
4.Bad Holograms: horrible 8 bit shaky ones with static
5.Duex Ex Machinea Droids: Droids with god like power to alter reality to save the day

Yora

Legend
I read an article and something like 28% of planets onscreen have been desert planets as well.

So yeah desert planets in general Tatooine in particular.
I think that's actually the most realistic thing in all of the Star Wars worldbuilding.

I think all the basics have already been covered:

Planet destroying super weapons.
Reviving dead villains.
The first character of a species defines the whole species' culture.
One time mentions of exceptional things become the everyday default.

You would think a thermal detonator is a mini-nuke. Not an oversized firecracker, Jedi Knight!

Ryujin

Legend
Or the stun setting on blasters, which, as demonstrated on Leia right at the beginning of the original movie, is big, wide, presumably unblockable rings.

I mean there's lots of weapons that could defeat the improbable "Jedi blocks laser blast" trick. But stun is already there in universe and presumably just requires flipping a switch on their blasters.
Hell, just throw a grenade at/near them. Or an unwrapped package of high explosives, of some sort. Hit with Lightsabre = BOOM!

Did the EU include much of the cybernetic replacements = dehumanizing schtick?

MarkB

Legend
Based on their portrayal in other media, that seems to have just been a visual artifact of the shot coming straight at the camera, and then straight away from the camera in the reverse angle. They're actually much more contained, and can be blocked, but not deflected.

I believe this was why the Geonosians favoured sonic weaponry, though - can't be deflected, tough to even block.

Remove ads