Level Up (A5E) Steampunkette's Writing Requests

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
honestly i'd just love to see anything western or victorian themed (or space themed, but we're already getting the voidrunner's codex so i guess that itch is gonna get scratched real well). equipment, backgrounds, anything. a more martial focused artificer subclass would also be cool. maybe even put them together...gunsmithing artificer subclass?
... so here's a thought...

Artificer Subclass with access to Combat Maneuvers in the same way Arcane Knight gives Fighter some Spellcasting.

Biting Zephyr and Mist and Shade would be pretty great for an Artificer.

Also: Evil Magic and the Mystic Combat Traditions are ready to go live on my Patreon if they're not taken by the GPG this month. Blood and Spirits, Outcast Allies (Heritages and Cultures for Goblinoids), and the more combat-capable Artificer are now on my burners...

Still need to set aside time to make a Journey supplement for new terrains, encounters, and boons. Thinking I might aim for a sort of comedic style for that one. "Mirthful Misadventures".

Steampunkette

Supporter
What about spells that cause some strife to the caster… perhaps because they are a little bit better. Perhaps some rare spells.
Right now the "Cruel Weight of Magic" includes 3 spells which sacrifice the caster's Hit Dice to increase the damage of their spells...

Well. Sort of.

The first spell sacrifices your hit dice.

The second spell steals the hit dice of a creature that just hit 0hp.

The third spell allows you to sacrifice up to 12 hit dice to deal 12 hit dice worth of damage to your target and steal up to 12 of theirs (half damage on a save and you steal no hit dice).

But once you've got hit dice in your pool you can use them to empower other spells (Or even get a free cast)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Going back through the tier 1 Arcane Knight powers and rewriting my Binding Strike into something a little different... Does this feel too strong as a low-tier Maneuver to anyone?

It is meant to be a maneuver you use to explicitly protect an ally, so it deals no damage. But I can't think of a single movement-denial ability available at low-levels which has this kind of defensive power. Sanctuary makes it hard to hit the target, sure, but this can make it difficult to just move -past- someone. Then again, it is 2 points so it'll take half your exertion just to do it once at level 1...
It's similar in concept to the Interception (o5e) or Protection (LU) fighting styles, but a bit more powerful because you're preventing movement. I think 2 points works well.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Hit on a new article idea while working on VRC material:

Intrepid Reporter archetype for the Scoundrel Class.

With the idea of structuring the article as the Intrepid Reporter (And her Camera Drone companion) finding secret and rare technology in a military research station that she broke into. Sort of an Artemis Zin character, for those of you who played Wildstar.

Artemis_zin.jpg

A Scoundrel that gets a built in companion, like Beastmaster but a flying camera robot, so the article would include both the archetype and an NPC statblock with some variable options...

But also some "Magic Item Equivalents" for sci-fi tech that are taken from the military research station. Prototypes in some cases, by the Intrepid Reporter (Because still a scoundrel)

GuyBoy

Hero

With the idea of structuring the article as the Intrepid Reporter (And her Camera Drone companion) finding secret and rare technology in a military research station that she broke into. Sort of an Artemis Zin character, for those of you who played Wildstar.

Artemis_zin.jpg

A Scoundrel that gets a built in companion, like Beastmaster but a flying camera robot, so the article would include both the archetype and an NPC statblock with some variable options...

But also some "Magic Item Equivalents" for sci-fi tech that are taken from the military research station. Prototypes in some cases, by the Intrepid Reporter (Because still a scoundrel)
Never played Wildstar but like the idea here.
The companion could even be “something” liberated by the reporter from the military research station; possibly a drone as stated, but variant could also be a badly-treated animal with genetically-mutated intelligence. Lots of possibilities.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Artemis_zin.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Scoundrel class. Where is it from?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Never played Wildstar but like the idea here.
The companion could even be “something” liberated by the reporter from the military research station; possibly a drone as stated, but variant could also be a badly-treated animal with genetically-mutated intelligence. Lots of possibilities.
Oh, yeah? Kinda. I just mean the article would be written like the reporter exploring the secret military research station.

The Intrepid Reporter archetype will get a drone just 'cause they need the roving camera to do reports and find stuff. But once you've got a drone there's, like, various things you can do with a drone. A Reporter and their Camera Man, with the camera man played by a drone.
I'm not familiar with the Scoundrel class. Where is it from?
vrc_cover.jpg

I've been fortunate enough to work on the VRC a little bit, and the Scoundrel is one of the classes still in progress. So far the Scientist and Psion have been released for playtesting and review.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh, yeah? Kinda. I just mean the article would be written like the reporter exploring the secret military research station.

The Intrepid Reporter archetype will get a drone just 'cause they need the roving camera to do reports and find stuff. But once you've got a drone there's, like, various things you can do with a drone. A Reporter and their Camera Man, with the camera man played by a drone.

vrc_cover.jpg

I've been fortunate enough to work on the VRC a little bit, and the Scoundrel is one of the classes still in progress. So far the Scientist and Psion have been released for playtesting and review.
Ok, cool. I didn't know there was a third new class. Can you tell us anything about it (concept at least)?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases