• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

TheSword

Legend
-Apparently greenlighting a Harry Potter show, based on the original books, which is just not a great look, at all.
So interestingly the films just arrived on the UK Netflix and are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th place on their rankings. With the third Fanrastic beasts film at number 8.

Meanwhile Hogwarts Legacy has raked in $1.3 billion.

I would be amazed if having Harry Potter on your streaming service in any format hurt your business.

So interestingly the films just arrived on the UK Netflix and are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th place on their rankings. With the third Fanrastic beasts film at number 8.

Meanwhile Hogwarts Legacy has raked in $1.3 billion.

I would be amazed if having Harry Potter on your streaming service in any format hurt your business.
yeah despite the outrage the Wizarding World brand is going strong

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
yeah despite the outrage the Wizarding World brand is going strong

I don't disagree- after all, Universal/Comcast are building another Wizarding World in their new park in Orlando.

That said, there are quite a few people who are (rightly) alienated by this product as long as the creator continues to profit off of it, and I don't see that issue getting smaller any time soon.

Put another way, and respecting the board rules, if Dwyane Wade (who is as popular in Florida as can be and has the resources to deal with any issues) did not feel safe with his family in Florida, this issue is just going to get worse. Generally, corporations try to avoid those issues.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Severance is fantastic and just builds in quality and weirdness.
Could hardly go outside this weekend due to all the smoke from wild fires in the province. Finished Severance - wow, wow, wow. In this era of repeats, sequels, reruns, reboots blah blah blah it's marvelous to see something original, tight, clever, and simply so well done.

I heard they were doing season 2 - nooooo! Not that I don't want to see more, but it would be nice to see some restraint and let art be art. Mona Lisa II! Liberty Leading the People - the Next Day! Ugh.

Will still watch it though :ROFLMAO:

I don't disagree- after all, Universal/Comcast are building another Wizarding World in their new park in Orlando.

That said, there are quite a few people who are (rightly) alienated by this product as long as the creator continues to profit off of it, and I don't see that issue getting smaller any time soon.

Put another way, and respecting the board rules, if Dwyane Wade (who is as popular in Florida as can be and has the resources to deal with any issues) did not feel safe with his family in Florida, this issue is just going to get worse. Generally, corporations try to avoid those issues.
I don't see it getting any bigger or big enough to the point where the brand hurts the company more than it pulls it in money wise.

Hex08

Hero
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Disney is pulling content from D+ and from Hulu, for...REA$0N$!?!? I guess it's for tax breaks, so someone who understands that should chime in.

So, it's time to bump the following to the top of your watchlist:
Be Our Chef
Best In Dough
Best In Snow
Big Shot
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings
Dollface
Earth To Ned
Everything’s Trash
Foodtastic
Howard
It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer
Little Demon
Love In The Time Of Corona
Maggie
Magic Camp
The Making Of Willow
The Mysterious Benedict Society
The One And Only Ivan
Pistol
The Premise
The Quest
Stuntman
Timmy Failure
Willow
Wolfgang
The World According To Jeff Goldblum
Y: The Last Man
I'm guessing it has more to do with paying residuals than a tax break but I could be way off base.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I don't see it getting any bigger or big enough to the point where the brand hurts the company more than it pulls it in money wise.

Maybe.

Then again, it was barely a few years ago when the idea that the series creator would be a giant lightning rod would have been fairly laughable. Things change quickly.

Think of it as the Ezra Miller corollary- things change, and tying the fate of a product to a particular individual (which, given the continued creative involvement demanded by JK Rowling is required) is not always a great idea. I certainly don't think that this is going to suddenly become less of an issue in, oh ... 2024.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I heard they were doing season 2 - nooooo! Not that I don't want to see more, but it would be nice to see some restraint and let art be art. Mona Lisa II! Liberty Leading the People - the Next Day! Ugh.

Will still watch it though :ROFLMAO:
There is apparently a tug of war going on between the two showrunners, so writer's strike aside, who knows if we actually get that second season or not.

Remove ads