• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subscription levels dropping

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Heck, some may register for a month, grab what they want, then unsubscribe.

Yes; a not-insignificant percentage does that (I can see the two-day subscriptions which include someone downloading every file). There's nothing I can do about it, unfortunately, and have to factor it into the business model.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Content, as far as I'm aware, was only a recent addition to the community supporter account benefits.

Content was the selling factor for me.

Make the boards searchable with full features for everyone, whether they're a subscriber or not. Keep the "gold, silver, copper" (or whatever levels it is now) but give them non-essential perks, like a gold, silver or copper icon next to their nick or something. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be on the level of getting something for your money. You shouldn't have to pay for things on a forum.

Seconded. Search is a basic function that almost any board offers, yet by not allowing people to generally use it, that feels like the function is being "held hostage." Certainly, I was not going to subscribe just to get that. It took content, a reward for my money beyond the basics, that got me to subscribe.

I considered unsubscribing a few months back for various reasons.

1. Moderation of edition wars. I really dislike edition wars. When a topic on the subject came up, a moderator (and I won't name names) basically threw up his hands in defeat saying that nothing could be done. The conversation upset me, particularly since I've worked on a forum myself to eliminate the problem. I know these forums are bigger, so it's a larger job, and I have a great appreciation for the job that the mods do. I brought the issue up with Piratecat, and things began to get better after that time. I was glad for the work Piratecat did, but the whole incident leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day.

2. Value of news. There was a time when I would get news here before I got it anywhere else. It was daily and fairly comprehensive. I used to be able to find WotC news here first. Now I find it first on WotC's site, which I now visit daily. I don't think the news is as comprehensive or frequent as it used to be. Perhaps I need to get my RSS news reader going again.

3. Value of content. There isn't a lot of content right now that interests me. I liked getting War of the Burning Sky, but right now, I'm just interested in the 4e conversions. Beyond that...not so much.

4. Value of boards. Truthfully, a lot of the discussion doesn't interest me. That's why I don't participate more. At one time, I enjoyed reading perspectives from industry insiders, as well as seeing news I wasn't getting elsewhere. Now, a lot of it seems like the same-old, same-old. Part of that may be due to me gaming for 19 years now. After a while, the topics get redundant.

(As a side note, I appreciate that these boards are more family-friendly than RPG.net. Some folks over there have a mouth like a sailor.)

5. Money. Times are tough right now. Every dollar counts.

I don't know if I will cancel my subscription or not. I'll just have to wait and see how things go and give it some thought.

Yes; a not-insignificant percentage does that (I can see the two-day subscriptions which include someone downloading every file). There's nothing I can do about it, unfortunately, and have to factor it into the business model.

Is a download limit really that hard to code?

Also, you should seriously consider making an FAQ about your policy since people are asking questions that already been answered earlier. Then again, people generally don't read FAQs, so I imagine that it would be a waste.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, you should seriously consider making an FAQ about your policy since people are asking questions that already been answered earlier. Then again, people generally don't read FAQs, so I imagine that it would be a waste.

Yeah, it's not a question of the information not being available, it's a question of people not seeing it. The more obvious you make it, the more people are bothered by its presence. It's a difficult tightrope to dance on!

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Just because I've seen a surprising number of people who don't think of this...

You could just pick up a spare (and free!) gmail or hotmail address to attach to paypal. I have several friends who have an address specifically for this and other e-commerce purposes, so their "conversational" e-mail doesn't get bombarded by amazon.com suggestions and other pseudo-spam.

Not quite. I've tried that, but then it says I need a different credit card number. I will get a throwaway address for ENWorld, but not a whole extra credit card.

Vartan

First Post
Heck, some may register for a month, grab what they want, then unsubscribe.

The Auld Grump

You make a great point. I have no doubt that this happens, but I hope subscribers think twice about paying $3 just to raid the downloads section. The ENWorld community creates a lot of value for the hobby. Those who buy in should do so in good faith with a full understanding of what they're supporting, all PDFs aside.

subscribing

I let my subscription lapse awhile back, sometime during the 4E switchover.

To be honest, since switching to Pathfinder I find that I spend the bulk of my time on the Paizo boards. 4E threads don't really interest me, and what's left on EnWorld is pretty thin these days, compared to in the past.

Also, during the 4E launch and right after it EnWorld started feeling like a WoTC publication to me. I really did get the impression that a guerilla marketing campaign was being run right on these boards. I don't see that so much these days, maybe because there's a 4E subforum now, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ken

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Also, during the 4E launch and right after it EnWorld started feeling like a WoTC publication to me. I really did get the impression that a guerilla marketing campaign was being run right on these boards. I don't see that so much these days, maybe because there's a 4E subforum now, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Whatever...there is and often has been enough really useful edition-neutral stuff - and intelligent, well-spoken people - in here to keep me coming back, and I don't play 3e *or* 4e.

Lanefan

Kzach

Banned
Banned
2. Value of news. There was a time when I would get news here before I got it anywhere else. It was daily and fairly comprehensive. I used to be able to find WotC news here first. Now I find it first on WotC's site, which I now visit daily. I don't think the news is as comprehensive or frequent as it used to be. Perhaps I need to get my RSS news reader going again.
4. Value of boards. Truthfully, a lot of the discussion doesn't interest me. That's why I don't participate more. At one time, I enjoyed reading perspectives from industry insiders, as well as seeing news I wasn't getting elsewhere. Now, a lot of it seems like the same-old, same-old. Part of that may be due to me gaming for 19 years now. After a while, the topics get redundant.
I was like this as well. The news section used to be the main page for me. Unfortunately there just isn't that much news anymore, period, given the (relative) death of the 3PP OGL industry.

As much as I enjoy content from WotC, I think it's perhaps one of the biggest downsides of 4e that there is no longer a vibrant and active 3PP OGL community producing a dearth of products.

That factor alone I think has had a massive impact not only on the amount of news that is out there to be reported but on the content and quality of conversations here.

I will never understand this position. I'm the type of person that if I see a 'wrong', I'll jump on it, then jump up an down like a madman proclaiming the evils of it. And I just simply did not see anything even remotely like what you're saying you saw.

In fact, I find it bizarre that there are no longer WotC ads on this site. I go to many hobby forums for movies, Macs, writing and MMA, and they all have ads from industry big-guns supporting them. Hell, in several cases, it's their primary revenue. And yet here I've got random Google ads that can be anything from Evony to how to increase my sexual pleasure.

Copping criticism for having ads from WotC is just... bizarro world.

Last edited:

Remove ads