D&D 5E Support oriented Fighting Styles

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Interesting.

Here is a perfect example of why a hyphen is needed in the thread title and makes a difference to how English defines meanings.

"Support oriented Fighting Styles" means someone is looking for support for "oriented" Fighting Styles, the idea being that this is about Fighting Styles oriented towards a particular concept or goal.

"Support-oriented Fighting Styles" means a thread about Fighting Styles which are oriented towards support in some fashion.

I was expecting the former, not the latter. Oh well...

I think Lead the Attack is not bad, but should only apply to the initial target. Something like this:

Lead the Attack
When you make an attack against a target on your turn, your allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against that target until the start of your next turn.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think Lead the Attack is not bad, but should only apply to the initial target. Something like this:

Lead the Attack
When you make an attack against a target on your turn, your allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against that target until the start of your next turn.
Ah good catch, and that was how I conceived it you were revealing an opening for subsequent attacks against that target. Although now perhaps that you mention that it might imply another which works the other way by sparking everyones verve if they attack someone other than who you did. ;)

The latter might be a gambit/maneuver I suppose. (Expanding the Battlemaster even further was one of the ideas I had)

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ah good catch, and that was how I conceived it you were revealing an opening for subsequent attacks against that target. Although now perhaps that you mention that it might imply another which works the other way by sparking everyones verve if they attack someone other than who you did. ;)
Thanks. I like the version I wrote simply because is a support-oriented Fighting Style. In essence, your character's attacking the target is able to direct your allies to more likely hit, i.e. the +1 to attack rolls against it.

NotAYakk

Legend
Tactical Combatant:
You gain 1 tactical point and learn 1 Tactic.

Tactical Warlord (Subclass):
At level 3, you gain tactical points equal to half your fighter level (round down) plus your intelligence bonus, and learn 2 Tactics plus your intelligence bonus.

You regain your tactical points when you take a short rest.

In general, you cannot use a Tactic if you have 0 Tactical Points.

Tactics:

Lead the Attack:
Whenever you attack a creature, you guide your allies to attack it. As a reaction to an ally missing, you can grant a bonus to the attack roll equal to your charisma bonus (min 1). If this causes the attack to hit, this costs you 1 tactical point.

Coordinated Charge
As an action, you permit any number of allies who can hear you to move their speed and make a weapon attack on target you choose. This costs 1 tactical point per ally. If you are adjacent to the target, your ally has advantage on their attack roll.

Rub some dirt on it
You can spend 1 tactical point to make a medicine check to stabilize a dying creature. If you succeed, the creature gains HP equal to your charisma bonus (min 1) and may roll a single HD to regain that many additional HP.

Rally
As an action you can rally your allies. Select any number of allies that can hear you. At the cost of 1 tactical point per ally they gain advantage on saving throws and attacks on them are at disadvantage until the start of your next turn. You can spend a 2nd tactical point on any number of allies to permit them to roll up to half of their remaining HD to regain HP.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hi everyone. I'm rather late to the party, but I finally started watching Mike Mearls's "Happy Fun Hour". It's a great series on YouTube to get insight into the early stages of the design process. In a set of episodes, he worked on a Warlord as a Fighter subclass (and incidentally, talked about why we didn't get a Warlord full class: because they couldn't imagine making a dozen subclasses for it)
To be fair, the concept he was working with barely touched upon the 4e PH1 Tactical Warlord.
with regards to possible warlords ... which would you make? Just copying the 4E, we'd have Tactical, Inspiring, Insightful, Brave, and Artillery?
And Resourceful and Skirmishing. And the fan-instigated 'Lazy' builds that actually ended up getting substantial official support. That's eight - as many as the highest-sub-class-count at release in the PH wizard had traditions.

@Tony Vargas made a post which included a good number of examples not very long ago.
I saved it from a thread some time ago.

So, just to pull together, further brainstorm, and generally spill electrons in needless carnage, a list of Warlord concepts for use as sub-classes, focusing on concept/flavor, rather than bothering with mechanics (I am assuming a strongly-mechanically-defined, very flexible class chassis with sub-classes granting specialization):

Bravura: Always at the forefront, the Bravura inspires (and incites) by reckless example, seemingly fool-hardy bravery, and daring-do. A Bravura may have a fierce rivalry with one or more of his allies, getting them to try to out-do eachother, and/or may try to protect others of his friends he views as needful of such. Bravuras hail from cultures that value strength, toughness, fierceness, bravery, honor, courage, and daring above common sense, planning, precision, or prudence, and may will have preconceived notions which shape which allies go into which category, at least initially.

Tactical/Commander: Very likely from a formal military background, or at least formal studies of military history, the tactician is a theorist, a planner, and a chess master playing with lives as the pieces. It is a very serious profession, and one that few have the stomach for once they've watched other die for a failed - or even successful - plan. Tacticians are sometimes idealistic, following an intellectual ideal, perhaps the greatest good for the greatest number, with some sacrifices being necessary, perhaps an ideal of perfect planning and execution or preparedness - whatever, those ideals rarely stand the test of time, and most tacticians eventually turn pragmatic, some even bitter and cynical. Those few who achieve flawless, even bloodless, victories are enshrined in the obscure histories of their specialty, but rarely remembered as heroes by history, which places little value on such seemingly 'easy victories.'

Inspiring: The inspiring warlord leverages natural charisma and skill at oratory, and sometimes, deceit - to propel allies to victory. In the end, no matter what tacticians may say, victory is in already burning in the heart, it is the most determined, the most committed that win, and the inspiring warlord strives to bring that quality out in his allies.

Skrimisher: Why fight a battle you can't win? And why win a battle you don't need to fight? The Skirmisher knows that victory goes not to the strongest, nor the smartest, nor even the most determined, but to the one who fights only when he can win. Discretion is the better part of valor, and he who fights another day, may yet live on until that day when can win. The Skirmisher delights in tactics that harry and drain the enemy, that draw them out of position, tempt them to over-extend themselves to finish the seeming-cowards who strike and melt away, only to find themselves surrounded, outnumbered, and doomed. Ah, yes, the valiant last stand, death with honor - a fitting end, to the Skirmisher's enemies.

Nature Guide, if you want to include Lifeguard/David Hasselhoff (swimming) I'll consolidate these into the Protector.
Protectors are capable individuals who take responsibility for the welfare of others. Anywhere there's even a trace of civilization, people need to be guided and protected, often from eachother. Protectors may work from a position of legitimate authority, like a peace officer or sheriff, they may be chosen by acclaim, looked to naturally in times of trouble, or even be self-appointed would-be heroes. They make a point of guiding, keeping save, and, when necessary, saving others. They will also tend to be adept at defusing potentially violent situations or resolving them with limited injury and loss of life. They emphasize prudence, common sense, community spirit and organization. Even when working with very capable even reckless allies like adventurers, the Protector counsels caution and careful, deliberate action - but, very often, Protectors do not heed their own advice, and may dash in to play the hero in moments of crisis.

Resourceful: Focusing on preparedness and improvisation, the Resourceful warlord seeks to engineer any advantage he can for his allies - and also to take advantage of anything presented to them. No plan survives first contact with the enemy and you can't eat love of country. There are things, often very minor, very simple things, that can assure victory under the right circumstances. For want of a nail, afterall, the Kingdom was lost.

Insightful/Watcher: If you know what your enemy wants, you can predict his actions. If you know how he thinks, you can counter his tactics. And, if you know where he is, he cannot surprise you. The insightful warlord, or Watcher, is cautious and values planning, but, above all is alert for any clue of the enemy's movements and plans.

The Artillerist: Whether actual medieval siege weapons, archers, or casters provide it, the advantage of a stand-off capability cannot be overstated. Setting up and making the most of that advantage is the specialty of this Warlord. Where there are not source resource to direct, the Artillerist takes up whatever weapons are available to provide the direct advantages of ranged support to his allies - taking a shot at just the right moment, even if it is easily dodged or blocked, can give an ally an advantage or opening, or put an enemy out of it's best tactical position as it seeks over or crouches behind its shield...

The Hector: This is the warlord who harangues, taunts, deceives, and outmaneuvers the enemy into making tactical mistakes and generally playing into his hands. The Hector focuses on his enemies more than his allies - allies, you should be able to count on. The Hector's acid words are carefully chosen and wickedly delivered to goad enemies into the worst course of action before them. You might think that such tactics are worthless against enemies who speak a different language or that lack the capacity for thought at all. But, humanoids have many forms of expression in common besides words, and it takes only a passing knowledge of a culture to know what could set someone off.
And 'mindless' enemies are the easiest of all to manipulate, as they are the most predictable of opponents.

Teacher: Because I refuse to say 'Sensei' and I know what kinda reaction '(Martial Arts) Master' would provoke. This is a Warlord who doesn't lead so much as educates and advises, a disciple of a martial philosophy, not just martial skills. A teacher is always learning, himself, of course, and an ordinary (or aged) one might not have much practical fighting skill (anymore). At low level, the teacher expounds an a general philosophy and the skills he has to impart are distinctive only in how they tie back into that - and help those using them work together. Teachers are particularly good at devising and drilling maneuvers and tricks specific to a coming challenge, making use of Long rests and downtime to add versatility.

The Marshal: This is the Warlord who, by whatever means, 'marshals' lesser troops - volunteers, conscripts, villagers, bandits, whatever - into an effective fighting force. It's a classic trope, 'training the villagers to fight for themselves' for instance, and, it side-steps one of the problems with attack-granting and barking commands: this Warlord doesn't have to do it with PCs, mussing their precious bad-boy doesn't-work-well-with-others edginess. He has his own NPC grunts to abuse. It also side-steps the problem with pet classes and henchmen: that they impact the action economy. The Marshal would have his unit of recruits that he commands to move around, holding positions, or making concerted attacks ("when you see the whites of their eyes!") of high value. All of which would be resolved by the player of the Marshal, on his turn, using his actions. A volley from his unit of archers, for instance, wouldn't be a bunch of attacks rolled by the DM one on each archers turn, rather, it'd be done on the Marshals' turn, and create a beaten zone, enemies in it would get skewered (save:1/2). That kinda thing. And, yes, it could include a warlord that 'marshals' animals bred & trained for combat, or a posse comitatus under the mantle of the law. (or those could be broken out and be good at similar gambits)

The Icon (Princess or 'Lazylord'): Though not intended by the designers, a Warlord that isn't a capable fighter in its own right, and instead uses it's actions to inspire and incite allies, can cover a range of concepts not ever otherwise viable in D&D (nor most RPGs, really). The plucky side-kick who can't measure up to his heroes but who's antics, cooperation, and frequent need of saving bring out the most heroic in them. The psychologically important symbol (mascot, literal prince or princess, ringbearer, etc) who everyone in the party cares about on some level, and thus binds them together into a stronger whole. The victim in need of rescue. etc...
... and, sure, if your group like the idea, the effete commander, "sipping Sancerre & directing the battle" from a safe distance.

Then, in the spirit of adapting to 5e, the faux-MCing it seems to go for:

Crusader: The 1/3rd Cleric or half-Paladin Warlord, a leader of zealots and champion of a divine cause, who, in the D&D world, obviously can't get away with it without displaying actual divine powers.

Arcane Battlemaster (name lifted from a Paragon Path): In the D&D, spells very often turn the tide of battle, if not decide it from the beginning, so it only makes sense that there are commanders who shape their tactics around the effective use of caster assets, and, probably, pick up wizardry second-hand, INT-focused as the warlord can be.

Infernal Strategist (ditto): Some will pay any price for victory. The Infernal Strategist employs both magical powers and diabolical gambits gleaned from the darkest and most perilous of arcane sources.

The Thaneborn (name lifted from barbarian build - and thanks for reminding me of this one, Vince): A traditional leader of a clan or tribe or the like, by right of birth. The Thane leads 'his people' in battle, and others call those people 'barbarians'). A faux-Barbarian-MC who's rage is not as potent, but is 'contagious' to his allies.

The Ardent: assuming we ever get Psionics, a faux-MC Warlord/Psion who uses empathy and telempathy to channel his and his allies' emotions and belief in a cause. Or, y'know, the Ardent could be the Psion(icist)'s faux-Warlord-MC, and the Warlord's could be called PsiCorps Commander or something, just to be silly - y'know, like Eldritch Knight and Bladesinger both come at elven fighter/magic-user from opposite sides.

TL;DR:
Inspiring
Tactical
Bravura
Resourceful
Skirmisher
Insightful/Watcher
Artillerist
Icon ('LazyLord' - I like Garthanos's 'Princess Build,' but y'know, gender)
Marshal
Teacher
Protector
Hector
Crusader
Arcane Battlemaster
Infernal Strategist
Thaneborn
Ardent

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Rally
As an action you can rally your allies. Select any number of allies that can hear you. At the cost of 1 tactical point per ally they gain advantage on saving throws and attacks on them are at disadvantage until the start of your next turn. You can spend a 2nd tactical point on any number of allies to permit them to roll up to half of their remaining HD to regain HP.
I was thinking of just making that spend HD as part of a system wide if you recieve HP or THP additionally you may spend HD.

I have been considering a feat called Blood of Kings which allowed any healing which goes over max hp is converted to thp and have any thp you provide convert to regular hp if you are below max when you recieve them or at end of a fight. Probably a CHA attached.

To be fair, the concept he was working with barely touched upon the 4e PH1 Tactical Warlord.
Hybrid - Fighter(A Striker flavor) / Warlord (Tactical Flavor) only probably too much Striker and too little of the latter for Hybrid

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Icon (Princess or 'Lazylord'): Though not intended by the designers, a Warlord that isn't a capable fighter in its own right, and instead uses it's actions to inspire and incite allies, can cover a range of concepts not ever otherwise viable in D&D (nor most RPGs, really). The plucky side-kick who can't measure up to his heroes but who's antics, cooperation, and frequent need of saving bring out the most heroic in them. The psychologically important symbol (mascot, literal prince or princess, ringbearer, etc) who everyone in the party cares about on some level, and thus binds them together into a stronger whole. The victim in need of rescue. etc...
... and, sure, if your group like the idea, the effete commander, "sipping Sancerre & directing the battle" from a safe distance.

Icon ('LazyLord' - I like Garthanos's 'Princess Build,' but y'know, gender)
Well it was named Noble (Path of the Heart) in Touch of Class LOL - I do like that even if 5e dropped the ball its still rolling.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Now, we've seen in the recent UA article some new fighting styles.
What we haven't gotten was a support/leader oriented fighting style. But what could one be?

What are your ideas?

Wolf Pack Tactics
When an ally moves adjacent to and attacks an enemy you are already adjacent to, that ally gains Advantage on the attack. When you hit an adjacent enemy, one ally adjacent to the same enemy can Disengage from it as a Reaction.

Remove ads