• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Arms Race of Races

Khaim

First Post
I can't speak to the "real" rules, but in the game I ran the Tiefling Paladin was possibly the most influential character, not to mention the most fun. Fire Resistance should not be underestimated. Between completely ignoring most fire attacks and every ongoing X fire effect and tying up multiple enemies while the wizard spammed Scorching Burst, she probably absorbed more damage than she took.

The designers have said that resistances aren't as common as they were in 3e. If that's the case, and it seems to be, then always-on fire resistance is huge.

Of course, there was the one round where the wizard dropped a fireball on the tiefling and three monsters, missed all the monsters, and hit the tiefling for well more than her resist level. She was less than happy...

Cadfan

First Post
The more I think about it, the more I think that the +1 v bloodied enemies is probably the tiefling's best quality. A smart tiefling can turn that into a nearly permanent +1 to attack.

Stalker0

Legend
Cadfan said:
The more I think about it, the more I think that the +1 v bloodied enemies is probably the tiefling's best quality. A smart tiefling can turn that into a nearly permanent +1 to attack.

This ability works well as a wizard. You can area bomb a group of creatures, blooding them, then you get a bonus to hit all of them again. The elf's ability only affects one attack roll...so with enough attack rolls, the tieflings bonus can become better.

However, the elf's bonus is still much better when used in conjunction with single daily abilities, like the warlord's big attack dailies.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think a Dragonborn makes a better pally. +2 Str and +2 Cha. Two important stats for a Pally. Not to mention that initial boost to HP is a nice benefit.

WyzardWhately said:
And thus new archetypes emerge naturally from the rules. Soon, the Tiefling Kill-Stealer will be a stereotypical 4E PC.
To be fair, in 3e Tiefs had +2 Dex and Int, darkvision, and a Darkness ability. They made perfect rogues. It ain't nothing new.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Rechan said:
To be fair, in 3e Tiefs had +2 Dex and Int, darkvision, and a Darkness ability. They made perfect rogues. It ain't nothing new.

Oh, I was thinking more about the tactic, described above, of a tiefling wizard using ranged attacks against anything bloodied. Nothing to complain about, it just amuses me.

"He ninjaed my kobold!"

Tiefling player shrugs. "He was bloodied."

Fire insurance racket for the win

Incenjucar said:
Really, tiefling fire fighters are a must for any decent-sized but flammable city or wooded region.

I can imagine a gang of evil/opportunistic tiefling firefighters... like those on Gangs of New York

"Tsk, tsk... my good friend, your tavern is chocked full of flammable materials... You should consider investing in fire insurance..."

darkInertia

First Post
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the difference between the movement speeds of the different races. Dwarves and halflings are slower than half-elves and tieflings, correct? I'm sure there are times when you are just a square or two away from being able to attack.

Rechan

Adventurer
darkInertia said:
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the difference between the movement speeds of the different races. Dwarves and halflings are slower than half-elves and tieflings, correct? I'm sure there are times when you are just a square or two away from being able to attack.
Elves move 7 squares.

Everyone but dwarves and halflings: 6

Halflings/Dwarves: 5.

But armor effects this, of course; the KotS Dragonborn has a speed of 5.

Stalker0

Legend
darkInertia said:
Dwarves and halflings are slower than half-elves and tieflings, correct? I'm sure there are times when you are just a square or two away from being able to attack.

Don't think so. The elf gets a +1 speed, but other than that only armor slows you down I believe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads