• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Honestly, the 5 years plan can make sense sometimes, to check if the candidate has inquired into the job to know what he can expect in terms of progression over time*.
See, I frequently saw that question when interviewing for temp positions in IT. It's like, "You specified you wanted me to work for six months on a specific thing. Is it really a surprise if I see myself working somewhere else afterwards? Are you... are you expecting me to pine away, like this was the One True Job I'll Never Get Over Losing?"

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
"Why, after this six month contract I intend to have enough money saved up for my expedition to fabled El Dorado! Five years from now I expect to be as rich as Creosus and ruling a mountain kingdom of gold, with nubile servants at my feet and funds enough to buy into every Kickstarter I want AND afford shipping to the Andes!"

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
"Why, after this six month contract I intend to have enough money saved up for my expedition to fabled El Dorado! Five years from now I expect to be as rich as Creosus and ruling a mountain kingdom of gold, with nubile servants at my feet and funds enough to buy into every Kickstarter I want AND afford shipping to the Andes!"
Interviewer: "Uh... We don't really have a box for that... I'll just put down, 'Retired.'"

See, I frequently saw that question when interviewing for temp positions in IT. It's like, "You specified you wanted me to work for six months on a specific thing. Is it really a surprise if I see myself working somewhere else afterwards? Are you... are you expecting me to pine away, like this was the One True Job I'll Never Get Over Losing?"
Well, in this context it is really a dumb question.

My dumbest question ever asked was when I changed sector and I was asked, like "I see you hold a permanent position in sector A, and you apply directly to a permanent position in sector B. Why didn't you resign from your job and apply first for an internship or temp position in this new sector?"

I wanted to tell "because if I was dumb enough to consider resigning before securing something else, you'd better not hire me..." (but I held my tongue).

BUT it can't compete with the dumbest question ever overall, that was in HR manual for public service up to 2000 or so... "If you had been in service during the Occupation, would you have collaborated with the Nazis?" (Hint: "yes" was not the expected answer).

Scribe

Legend
BUT it can't compete with the dumbest question ever overall, that was in HR manual for public service up to 2000 or so... "If you had been in service during the Occupation, would you have collaborated with the Nazis?" (Hint: "yes" was not the expected answer).

lol what?

lol what?

I suspect the question was legitimate at first, formulated as "What did you do under the Nazi occupation?" in the 50s and was changed as a generation passed... to be left as an artifact among HR manuals as valid topic for interviews... until someone had the sense to review them.

Scribe

Legend
I suspect the question was legitimate at first, formulated as "What did you do under the Nazi occupation?" in the 50s and was changed as a generation passed... to be left as an artifact among HR manuals as valid topic for interviews... until someone had the sense to review them.

My initial thought was 'this is a gag question, to see how one would react to something outlandish being asked of them' but yeah I guess that works too.

Ryujin

Legend
I got that question in an interview for a 3 year contract position. I've always thought it was a stupid question and still do to this day. I was asked it in a three person panel interview. My answer was, "Working here as a full time employee." Been there almost 24 years now.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend

At least it got reviewed...
It wasn't until sometime in the 1950's that the state of Connecticut finally got rid of the law dating back to colonial times that said if a judge deemed your child incorrigible, you could have them turned over to the state Militia to be shot...
(I would have been dead by the age of ten, lol.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads