The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I think good nachos are more about the technique than the ingredients.
  • Whatever type of cheese you use, make a proper béchamel sauce with it. Don't just melt it in a microwave with a can of soup or whatever; it'll split and get all oily and gross. Nobody wants to eat that.
  • (I use a blend of cream cheese, Monterey jack, and sharp cheddar, because I like it tangy.)
  • Whatever type of corn chips you use, toast them for 10 minutes at 375°F before adding the other ingredients. This will drive off extra moisture and bring the oil to the surface, ensuring that your nachos are crispier (and stay that way longer).
  • Avoid canned ingredients, and use fresh whenever possible. I make an exception for pickled jalapeno slices, but I'm a weirdo.
  • Keep all the ingredients separate until ready to serve. Once the cheese hits the chips, you've got about 10 minutes before they turn into a soggy mess. So it's best to set up a nacho bar if you've got the space, or to make multiple small batches if you don't.
This man knows what's up.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
  • Whatever type of cheese you use, make a proper béchamel sauce with it. Don't just melt it in a microwave with a can of soup or whatever; it'll split and get all oily and gross. Nobody wants to eat that.
  • (I use a blend of cream cheese, Monterey jack, and sharp cheddar, because I like it tangy.)
  • Whatever type of corn chips you use, toast them for 10 minutes at 375°F before adding the other ingredients. This will drive off extra moisture and bring the oil to the surface, ensuring that your nachos are crispier (and stay that way longer).
  • Avoid canned ingredients, and use fresh whenever possible. I make an exception for pickled jalapeno slices, but I'm a weirdo.
  • Keep all the ingredients separate until ready to serve. Once the cheese hits the chips, you've got about 10 minutes before they turn into a soggy mess. So it's best to set up a nacho bar if you've got the space, or to make multiple small batches if you don't.
I don't get to eat nachos very often (cholesterol issues, ugh) so when I do, I make sure they're worth the calories and elevated TCL.
Very nice. Moisture is definitely the secret enemy of the queso blanco, which is why I'm leaning evap milk. Im thinking about use a pot ont he stove to start the evap milk, slowly introduce the cheese(s), and finally the peppers and spices. Last step is pour into a cast iron skillet and broil for 2-3 min. Then, keep heat on simmer on the stove top. Im going to use Donkey brand tortilla chips so no need to heat them with the queso. Still thinking about the meat. Maybe Chorizo?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Tim And Eric Nachos GIF

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't get to eat nachos very often (cholesterol issues, ugh) so when I do, I make sure they're worth the calories and elevated TCL.
I think I love you.

Remove ads