The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I sometimes wonder in some threads if I'm imagining folks named Moorcock and Anderson writing things that seem relevant. (Not that people need to like them, but just that they are, or at least were, things).

Scribe

Legend
I sometimes wonder in some threads if I'm imagining folks named Moorcock and Anderson writing things that seem relevant. (Not that people need to like them, but just that they are, or at least were, things).

Must say its a pleasure getting back to.

"I have a position."
"I will take your position out of context, take the most extreme unwavering view on it, and declare you wrong."
"That is not my position."
"It no longer matters, because you will not force your extreme unwavering view upon my gentle players."
"That is, not my position."

"No, not anymore, its the one I am telling you you have."

Fantastic, nuanced, worthwhile, discussion.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Look, I'm sure the witch had very good reasons for eating those babies. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt going forward.

How dare you judge someone based on their dietary choices, sir. I am offended... :p*

#OccupyThePizzeria #OnePineappleLove

*J/K - If I'm ever in a plane crash in the mountains, I am absolutely going to eat my fellow survivors before they eat me, lol.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Oh, good. Now that the Prime Source has decided to stop drawing fire and sit the heck down, we can go back to the eternal circular firing squads. Oh comma well.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I'm trying to find weird cool stuff that happened in the 1830s to the 1870s to base scenarios off of; it seems like most people who write "Victorian" stuff base it in the 1890s or later. I did find a few things that seem intriguing.
  • James Tilly Matthews (at the time, a patient at Bethlem Asylum suffering from paranoid schizophrenia) claimed in 1810 that foreign agents were using an "Air Loom" to control the minds of Parliament. He described the Air Loom as a massive device that used psychoactive chemicals manipulated through magnetism to read thoughts, insert new thoughts, or even kill using either atmospheric pressure or by causing fatal apoplexy.
  • UFO promoter Carlos Allende (source of The Philadelphia Project) claimed that Faraday might have achieved the Rainbow Effect (which either creates invisibility fields, or punches a hole in the universe, or both, depending on who you read) in his lab in 1831, while doing the work that established scientific understanding of magnets.
  • Chemist Thomas Henry Huxley collected a sample of mud from the Atlantic seafloor on an expedition in 1857; he found only protozoan cells and placed the sample into a jar of alcohol to preserve it. When he studied the sample again in 1868, he noticed that the sample contained an albuminous slime that appeared to be criss-crossed with veins. He suspected it was primordial matter and named it bathybius haeckelii, in honor of German biologist Ernst Haeckel, who had theorized about Urschleim ("primordial slime"), a protoplasm from which all life theoretically originated. Huxley thought Bathybius could be that protoplasm, a semiliving substance that could spontaneously form from and consume inorganic material.

Last edited:

Remove ads