• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
You put all this work into building something, and it just takes just one doofus to bring it all down again, doesn't it.
Sad Disappointment GIF by Angry Birds

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I finally discovered a pop culture take more ludicrous on its face than "I preferred Star Trek before it got political";

"What if they make the Animorphs movie woke?"

Yes, what if they made the series about the horrors of war and child soldiers, the series where famously during a time travel storyline a main character murders Hitler and another main character, a black girl, terrorizes the crap out of a bunch of racists for calling her the N-word, woke. How dare they force diversity into a series where two out of five main characters are people of color and two others are explicitly Jewish.
. . . As someone that read the Animorphs series in middle school (about a decade after the books were popular), I'm both baffled that this is a complaint about the movie (which I didn't even know is coming) and completely unsurprised given the increasing divisiveness of internet rhetoric of a certain kind in recent years. As you illustrate, that is both completely nonsensical and makes me think that the person that wrote that comment either doesn't understand Animorphs, or never actually read it. The entire point of the series, by the author's admission, is about how war is terrible, even if "good wars" where there is one side that is objectively in the moral right over the other.

Something you didn't mention, is that the series literally ends with a teenager committing genocide against a species of mind-controlling parasitic alien slugs, the main bad guy of the series says that the main character should be on trial for committing genocide, and the main character agrees with the main villain. The series that was written for children ends with the main character committing a war crime and admitting that he should be held accountable for his acts, even if they were necessary for peace.

Man, if my mom had known half of the messed-up stuff that happened in that series, she never would have let me read it. I have fond memories of the Animorphs, but I don't know if I'd recommend it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
. . . As someone that read the Animorphs series in middle school (about a decade after the books were popular), I'm both baffled that this is a complaint about the movie (which I didn't even know is coming) and completely unsurprised given the increasing divisiveness of internet rhetoric of a certain kind in recent years. As you illustrate, that is both completely nonsensical and makes me think that the person that wrote that comment either doesn't understand Animorphs, or never actually read it.
They run a YouTube channel titled "Animorphs Reviews". Animorphs is like their entire life. Can you imagine being so obsessed with something that you very clearly don't really understand?
The entire point of the series, by the author's admission, is about how war is terrible, even if "good wars" where there is one side that is objectively in the moral right over the other.

Something you didn't mention, is that the series literally ends with a teenager committing genocide against a species of mind-controlling parasitic alien slugs, the main bad guy of the series says that the main character should be on trial for committing genocide, and the main character agrees with the main villain. The series that was written for children ends with the main character committing a war crime and admitting that he should be held accountable for his acts, even if they were necessary for peace.

Man, if my mom had known half of the messed-up stuff that happened in that series, she never would have let me read it. I have fond memories of the Animorphs, but I don't know if I'd recommend it.
Oh yeah I forgot the part where the main character, a 16-year-old boy, is also a war criminal who is miserable forever. Don't forget the part where he recruits an entire army of sick and disabled children from a children's hospital and then uses them as a distraction and they all die horribly. So, double-war-criminal. And the part where literally nobody gets a happy ending and then there's another war because war doesn't beget peace it just begets more war.

Then there's the three-parter in the middle of the series where they accidentally recruit another kid and he kind of likes killing a little too much (which is actually fine, because Rachel) but then he gets scared and tries to betray them so they permanently trap him in the body of a rat and abandon him on an off-shore island that's close enough that they can still hear him psychically screaming for the rest of his short miserable life and then that storyline ends.

I sure do enjoy these children's books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads