D&D 5E The Int 8 Party: A Solution?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Regardless of the system you use, it's easy to end up with characters that have a low int, simply because when putting together a character, you're going to prioritize the things you see a character as being able to do.

Right, so they're pretty quick - dex.
He's likeable - charisma.
They're - con.
And not a physical weakling either - str.
They're keen sighted and capable outdoorsmen - wis.
there's another stat, right? Oh, int. I guess it's 8.

Unless you're specifically putting together a detective or a sage, then int doesn't rank because it doesn't actually DO anything else.

It's a -1 to your roll below average.

That's nothing.

And you don't auto pass very easy DC 5 checks... basic math and such. So if I saw int dumping all the time I would let them roll those checks which are a 1 in 4 chance to fail.
Still not too bad but I am sure those players will be annoyed about that rule and may think twice about dumping the stat. Same goes for every other ability that is below 10. Str 8? Sorry, you can't open the heavy door as part of your movement but need an action to do so.
Int 8: sorry you can't guess how many orcs are attacking. You need an action to count.

Like others have said, I do not understand why Int does not factor into initiative. After all, having fast reflexes should not mean much if your slow brain cannot keep up.

In addition to using either the Dex or the Int bonus for initiative, I would go one step further and if one of the two bonuses is a negative, then that gets subtracted from the positive number to get your final bonus. So if you have a -1 modifier from Int and a +3 from Dex, you get a +2 to initiative. This will at least get more players to make characters of at least average Int.

But then, I also do not like my players to have characters with stats that give negative modifiers unless they have a good roleplay reason for it to be that low.

discosoc

First Post
My personal opinion is that initiative should be modified by INT rather than DEX. DEX is already heavily-weighted between AC, both ranged and melee combat, initiative, and one of the more useful/common saves found in the game, so giving that one aspect to INT seems reasonable enough. It also makes sense to me, thematically, that the smartest combatants are the ones better able to act when it's most advantageous -- not simply the guys with the fastest reflexes.

discosoc

First Post
But then, I also do not like my players to have characters with stats that give negative modifiers unless they have a good roleplay reason for it to be that low.

Only problem here is that the default stat block comes with an 8, so WotC obviously intend players to create characters that are weak at *something.*

Caliburn101

Explorer
This is one of the primary design flaws of 5th Edition I'm afraid.

The idea that INT isn't the stat for every knowledge check, most non-physical skills not involving perception is a travesty.

There should also be more INT saves, but hey ho.

If you look at any skills progression (rather than level progression) rpg, then INT is always important.

As far as having an entire party with INT dump stats is concerned - I just flat out wouldn't allow it as a GM. I have a hard enough time tolerating one min-maxer in a group, never mind 5 or 6! Luckily I've never seen it happen yet - everyone else I know in the rpg area has a poor view of dump stating and min-maxing.

The hilarious hypocrisy of it is, on the one side min-maxers argue that the extra +1 in an important stats is so critically important to their character, and yet the extra -1 doesn't make a difference at all...

If a group did this to me, and I hadn't made promises the game was going to be entirely hack'n'slash then for sure they'd complain when it came to the good mix of intrigue and other 'thinky' aspects of my games that would involve having to call on this stat.

If they roleplayed having especially clever ideas to solve problems in the game I'd get them to roll against a DC set by the cleverness of the idea for their character to be able to act on it.

Why should it be entirely OK to be retricted by dump stating DEX, STR or CHA when trying to acheive things in game but be free to play a genius with an INT dump stat?

... it shouldn't...

I'd probably throw some Mind Flayers behind my main insidious plot just to teach them that dump stating is dumb... just like every... single... one... of their characters.

Like taking all of your eggs OUT of one basket.

Last edited:

GameOgre

Adventurer
It's a -1 to your roll below average.

That's nothing.

I agree.
A -1 to int is no more game breaking than a +1 to strength.

So they are mildly negatively impacted by a stat, big deal. They do recieve a -1 though. So hardly calling for a need to punish them further.

While you are at it why not punish every wizard or rogue with a low strength score?

Lanliss

Explorer
I agree.
A -1 to int is no more game breaking than a +1 to strength.

So they are mildly negatively impacted by a stat, big deal. They do recieve a -1 though. So hardly calling for a need to punish them further.

While you are at it why not punish every wizard or rogue with a low strength score?

That's no joke. A couple weeks back I was in an all dex party. We were almost defeated by a heavy door that we had to push open. There are already built in mechanics to destroy the people who take a low strength.

Horwath

Legend
Add bonus language/tool proficiency per point of int modifier. Yes, 8 int will get you one language/tool fewer from race and background.

Add bonus skill or as already mentioned bonus wizard cantrip known(cast stat int ofc) per point of int bonus.

Make initiative add both dex and int modifiers.

Remove ads