The Logic of Panic Buying

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I was so hoping the hipster sourdough thing would pass this site by....

Hipster? Its actually a long established traditional practice here - my family has a 50 year old bug.

as I said earlier, I find the whole panic buy thing amusing and one of the things that makes me grin is when people say they cant find yeast :)

I usually live with several months of supplies on hand. However I spent the last year whittling it all down in order to move. "Seriously," I thought to myself, "what are the chances of a major global crisis during the exact few months I'm planning a transcontinental move?"

Doh! 😣

We did the same thing for the same reason about a decade ago . . . when the region got shut down for a week with no way in or out the day before we were supposed to move.

Once again, we are supposed to be moving in about a month. This time, we are still stocking up, not whittling down.

Janx

Hero
There was TP in HEB today, albeit 4 packs. Limit 2 packs.

There was a decent stack, so I grabbed 2.

I'm debating installing a bidet, but I'm dubious on its ability to remove peanut butter from between two buns and I'm not looking forward to a cold surprise in the attempt. I've seen articles touting the various models. but no explanation of how the fancy ones get power.

Another explanation for the TP shortage is that the manufacturers run at 24/7 capacity for normal buying. There is no additional capacity to add so the panic buying demand cannot be matched and given that this isn't likely to last for very long, there is no easy way to increase production capacity.

The only thing I really haven't been able to find is yeast. Everything else seems to have been restocked at some point or another.
There's always sourdough, but starter takes about a week to make.

Zardnaar

Legend
Didn't they just leave dough out over night and bake it?

Has buying bread become hard?

We've got a little bit of yeast only planning in baking bread if things get bad and we don't want to leave the house at all.

Where I live, they have placed a limit on bread. I have teenagers. Even if I can get enough bread for the day (and that is iffy) I would have to go back to the store every day if I didn't bake it myself.

Plus, I am a darned good baker and the bread I bake is much better than what you can buy at the store (even if it is more convenient/time-efficient that way).

Remove ads