• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Long Journey Home

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Going over the plan for a debriefing Mikhail realized that inviting Captain Casper would make sense. Then he suddenly changed his mind. When all was said and done Mikhail was still a nice person in his own way and while Ghost was an annoying twat he probably didn't deserve all the hostility projected his way. Mikhail decided to give his captain a break. He quickly typed in a message to Ghost.

Meet me in Sierra quarters. ASAP.

Not too much of a break. He could get used to it.

Plane

"Ah yes, his name is Dr.Serano. You can find him in the psychiatrist's ward!" she stops you for one more question before you leave. "Were you being honest about this being a date?" She smiles.

Sarah steps out of the ship and then sees Arthur fall off the top.

"Ohhh you went bang, are you okay there? Oh wow you also have one of those custom MDAs, ohhhh you must've been part of the fighting team you like wow! Haha, here let me help you up." She extends her arm out.
"What's your name?"[/b]

OOC: Right so Echo has been called to the bridge and Ghost has been called to Sierra quarters with Mikhail, up to you what happens next.

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Plane
Psychiatrist's ward? Well that is...unexpected.

As he was leaving the plane Mikhail heard the last question pausing for a split second before answering.

Did I say a date? Can't quite remember. I guess we will have to do this again to find out.

Think: Did I say date?

Arthur Campbell

First Post
Thanks, despite the modifications this suit remains heavy, kaboom if you could please move.

After Kaboom removed itself from Arthur's face he took the woman's hand and allowed himself to be helped to his feet. Making sure he wasn't concussed he continued
I'm Arthur Campbell, Echo Squads explosives engineer. You must be Sarah. Arthur shook her hand. As much as I'd love to stay and chat it'll have to be quick as my captain wants to debrief us.

Aleksandra smiled at ghost "For what it's worth sir, I think you'll make a great captain. It'll just take some time. And between us I'm sure nothing will happen to Sarah. I've got a feeling that the malfunctions with Ula and Olga were caused in a similar vein though I'll talk to Erza and Alyssa about it soon."

She turned back to Tami and smiled at her as well "Thank you for your help with my VIs. I've had them so long that I'd be a little lost if something too bad happened to them. I know we've only just met and we don't know each other very well but I'd like us to be friends."

She paused for a time and then poised herself ready to stand and leave. She addressed the table. "We as a crew have important jobs to do. We will strive for survival and greatness on this journey we find ourselves on. No matter how tough it gets professionalism will tide us through the chaos. But it is community and companionship that will keep us alive in the hardest of times, a warm core to our polished veneer." She looked at each of the assembled in turn.

"Tami, Captain Ghost and Dr J.D. I hope we will work fluidly and brilliantly in the coming days, I'll see you all later." She stood to leave and then a thought clearly struck her. She turned once more to ghost.

"Just before I dash off I thought about our call signs and I think I've got at least good suggestions. Your moniker of 'Ghost' is already a call sign really, Dr Tsuba works nicely as J.D, I'm happy to go by my first name contraction of Sasha and therefore Mikhail would be Misha. Just wanted to submit those for your approval sir."

'Ghost'

First Post
Looking towards Aleksandra as she starts to move...

Stirring words private, words that will not soon be forgotten. If those are the call signs you wish to use, that's fine with me. When we find Private Zhukov I'll ask him about the call sign, Private Tsuba, if you're happy with J.D. then I'll use that from now on. I appreciate the support Private Zhukova, only time will tell.

For the briefest of moments the hardened exterior softened, taking a more human look. The moment short lived soon passed, but Sarah had taken note and a huge smile appeared on her face. As she mused quietly to herself, thinking maybe there's hope for him yet. Ghost was just about to continue when he received the message from Mikhail

Seems my attention is required elsewhere, enjoy your time off, I'll contact you if anything comes up.

He stands up, taking the empty container with him, placing it on the cleaning trolley as he passed it. Making his way directly to Sierra's quarters. As he enters, he closes the door behind him and looks at Mikhail.

What is it you needed me for Private? I'm assuming this has something to do with you're experimentation on the alien device you found.

Ghost stands silently awaiting the report, his questions would have to wait. For now if anything was discovered about the enemy it had to take priority,

Last edited:

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Mikhail stood up got some air in his lungs and began.

Yes indeed.First of all it was, as we suspected, an attack of opportunity. The robots perceived us as a prey and attacked for resources. Might suggest that they are like us in a state of crisis. The device we salvaged contained a helmsmen AI. As far as I can tell it is indeed a AI not VI. Ship designation is VB-0483. Might come in handy later.
As for the thing that helped us, the enemy has no information on it. They refer to it as a Hunter. There is more then one and they have been attacking the robots for some time now, apparently without reason. While the individual units do seem to have self preservation instincts it would seem they would rather die then cause harm the the rest of their kind. Still leaves possibilities to exploit there. They also seem capable of interacting with our tech, though thankfully not remotely.

He stopped to think.

That seems to about cover it. I thought you might prefer if I reported this to you first instead of going straight to comandore. It would also be really helpful if you could brief him yourself while I get back to this investigation. I have a felling we just hit an intel mother lode here.

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Another thing sir. Captain Bauhdric and possibly the rest of Echo might be waiting at the bridge for this debrief. Sorry about that sir. Situation got a bit out of control. Might want to call in Alexandra and J.D. to even the odds a bit.

Mikhail smiled at the last comment.

'Ghost'

First Post
Seemingly deep in thought, Ghost listened quietly taking in all that was being told to him.

So the reason for the communication loss was due to this AI? Myself and Private Tsuba both tried contacting you. While I still don't approve of the method you used to gather the intel, you did get results. Good work soldier.

He again seems deep in thought, then returning to attention.

Private Zhukova is currently engaged elsewhere, sorting out some issues with her VI, Private Tsuba may be available to accompany me. Though if you're looking to investigate this further you may want to get either of them to aid you. I feel they'd be able to advance your progress, but it's not an order merely a suggestion. If you wish to continue your experiments alone feel free to do so. As for the debrief, I'm sure I can handle echo squad alone. Oh that reminds me, Private Zhukova came up with a suggestion for call signs, she suggested using your first name contraction of Misha. The final decision is yours to make though.

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Mikhail thought for a moment before responding.

I have one other angle to pursue. Need to talk to ship psychiatrist. After that I will get the other two involved. I apologize if come off as secretive or distrustful but in recon your life depends on secrecy, the less people know about an op the more likely you are to return from it alive. I guess old habits die hard.

As for call signs you can use "Miha". It was a call sign my first squad gave me.

For a second Mikhail looked like he is far away, a sad smile appearing on his face. Snapping back to reality Mikhail saluted to Ghost and made his way out. As he was heading down the corridor he quietly spoke to himself.

Couldn't contact me. MDA have their own coms. Not connected to the ship.Ships com system was off. Nothing else to use. Вот дерьмо! That is not good.

Last edited:

Remove ads