• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Long Journey Home

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Mikhail walked in and began talking before as soon as the door closed.

Greetings. My name is Mikhail Zhukov. I am from Sierra squad of Starseeker, and I need your help with something. I have been told that you are an expert in VI field. I need you to write a VI to monitor and control the functions of another VI. I can deal with making the hardware but I am no good with programming. The project will most likely be difficult, possibly dangerous, somewhat not entirely sanctioned and most definitely very secret. If you are interested I will give you the details, if not then this conversation never happened.

Mikhail observed doctors face trying to capture his initial reaction.

Aleksandra scooted in close and spoke quietly to avoid disturbing the meeting going on behind her. "I have a couple of queries. Firstly is it possible to remotely access a VI you don't control through the network and If so how many people have that kind of access?"

OOC: Just posting Bauhdric's reply as I know approximately what he is going to say, it's to move things along a little.

Bauhdric stands strong and proud, he brings his arm forward in front of his chest.

"Captain Ghost, I am sorry I know little of this report. My physique can only absorb only so much knowledge from people without being told. I was under the impression that you or Mikhail would tell us. Mikhail seems to have told you at least something so it seems like it would fall to you to inform us."

OOC: Just posting Bauhdric's reply as I know approximately what he is going to say, it's to move things along a little.

Bauhdric stands strong and proud, he brings his arm forward in front of his chest.

"Captain Ghost, I am sorry I know little of this report. My physique can only absorb only so much knowledge from people without being told. I was under the impression that you or Mikhail would tell us. Mikhail seems to have told you at least something so it seems like it would fall to you to inform us."

OOC: Thankyou so much! Been very busy! Just as an endorsement, that is exactly what I was going to say.

J. D. Tsuba

First Post
OOC: yes indeed - I am unconcious, finding it hard to stay at my computer long enough to post anything, so I figured I'd just go to sleep, I'm not particularly needed at the moment i don't think. If that changes I'm sure a comm message would wake me, or a quick shove in my chair. When I get some time, I shall try to respond to any backlogs of conversation that may build up :)

'Ghost'

First Post
Ghost nods his head and steps forward. After giving another quick salute..

In that case, it's as we guessed the robots are raiders, opportunists. They saw an anomaly, came to investigate it then tried to salvage us. The device we took from the second vessel is the helmsman device, though it has AI. The robots that attacked us have a survival instinct of a sorts, but it seems they work for 'the greater good' meaning they'll give their lives if it'll help the collective. The robots themselves can interact with our technology, though they can't do that remotely thus far.

He takes a momentary pause then continues

They also had a little information on our interloper. Seems the robot's don't know what they are but they are referred to as hunters. They have been attacking the robots for some time now, and apparently this is without provocation. Or at least any that the robots have taken note of.

He then takes a step back.

If I may speak freely sir, seems if they can't interact remotely with our tech yet then they will likely be looking into ways to do so. Making us an easier target. Also their behaviour suggests a hive mentality, which means if we find out where the central unit is then we can essentially wipe them out as a threat. As for the hunter, though they helped us before it would be foolish to believe them an ally, though that's not to say the opportunity doesn't exist. This is just idle speculation as there is still a great deal that we don't know about them. I believe that before we commit ourselves to a course of action a preliminary recon should be completed on all target planets nearby, it will use little resources and we can then pick targets of importance. I expect, that regardless of what planet we land on hunter or robot, we will be considered hostile. So we can expect resistance, and the golden rule of survival is never expend more energy then you'll receive.

He salutes once again..

This is just my opinion though, that concludes my report sir.

Mikhail

Dr. Serano leans forward with his hands crossed in front of his face. "Whose VI are we talking, before you ask yes I can design a VI like that. However I am not going to do this unless it is important and doesn't involve treading on the privacy of others on the ship. Who or what do you plan to use this on?

Aleksandra

"Without hacking the network you can't access a VI. We don't even have access to VIs remotely through the network normally. Why do you ask?" Ezra ask inquisitively.

Mikhail Zhukov

First Post
Mikhail saw that his initial attempt was not effective and quickly changed approach slowing down the pace of his voice.

It will not involve treading on the privacy of anyone on the crew. As for importance... well you could say that survival of this ship and everyone on it was at stake.

Seeing that it was starting to take too long Mikhail decided to go all or nothing.

I get a feeling you are not going to help until I tell you the details. I guess you noticed that we were attacked. The robots that attacked us were mostly destroyed. We made a scavenge run on their ships, recovered a small cube. Cube turned out to contain an AI. I am sure you can guess the rest.

Arthur Campbell

First Post
Arthur observed ghost as he gave his report, maintaining his relaxed demeanor, he responded

An interesting analysis of our opponents but I agree with your implied suggestion that our survival is our priority. I do have a few questions before we start allocating resources to exploring these planets. Mostly to do with what sort of "supplies" we can reasonably obtain from these planets and what it is we need. For example do you want us to acquire raw and unprocessed materials ,if so do we have the capacity to process them? or are we after more ready-made supplies?
And as marvelous as Captain Ghost's suggestion was of preliminary recon I'm curious as to how much more detail we can obtain at what cost to our own limited supplies.

Content he'd made his contribution to the discussion Arthur waited for a response as he continued smiling and looking around the room.

Bridge

The commodore speaks up amongst the discussion "We do need you to get unprocessed materials yes. This ship is more than capable of acquiring materials as it was the ships original purpose. We have ways to process some but not all materials you will likely find on planet surfaces. Though we will need to re-purpose parts of the ship to accommodate such functions."

Turning to Ghost he says "Before we run off of mere conjecture what do you know that would suggest they are a 'hive' mentality? I leave the planetary explorations up to you, if you feel that is in the best interest of the ship then let it be so. Anyone else have anything they wish to discuss?"

The girl that was with Okado steps forward and says "Greetings my name is Karen, pleasure to meet you all. I would like to engage in some discussions after this briefing is over, I am the VI creator for Bart's interface VI. I think I might be of some use." She smiles the steps back letting the group continue their debriefing.

Dr. Serano

The Doctor's face lights up a little. Ah, now that I have no problem with. What is it you have planned for your little friend? Would you just have me watch him as that will be quite easy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads