• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Mainstreaming of D&D

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It may not have been the exact wording, but it is a summation of general complaints. 🤷‍♂️
It's not, though. I'm not saying "damn kids these days" about any of this. I am lamenting the inevitable tide of change in all things, as that change broadly moves away from my preferences, particularly my aesthetic preferences. it has nothing to do with "damn kids these days" and the number of people trying to characterize it that way aren't actually paying attention to what I wrote.

But, then, threads these days are mostly rorschach tests. People see what they want to see and comment on THAT, rather than whatever the actual subject is.

For the most part yes. But my iPod Classic is a 10-year-old workhorse. Which is good, because all my music wouldn't fit on my phone; the 250gb Classic may still be the only thing I can house all that on.
I have a Pioneer XDP-300R. Holds half a terrabyte of music. It is definitely a brick, though, and is too big for regular mp3 cases. I had to get a GPS case for it. However, unlike the other mp3 players I tried, it could actually hold all of my music and still have lots of room for more.

The downside, other than the size, is that downloading the music is not nearly as easy and intuitive as other players. I have to transfer everything to a special program and then transfer to the device itself.

Since I basically just use it when I'm traveling or when I want to hook up to an outside speaker, the size doesn't bug me. It is more important that I can actually access ALL my music.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
It's not, though. I'm not saying "damn kids these days" about any of this. I am lamenting the inevitable tide of change in all things, as that change broadly moves away from my preferences, particularly my aesthetic preferences. it has nothing to do with "damn kids these days" and the number of people trying to characterize it that way aren't actually paying attention to what I wrote.

But, then, threads these days are mostly rorschach tests. People see what they want to see and comment on THAT, rather than whatever the actual subject is.
In part... that's because of how you've changed and society has changed over the decades.

PLAYING the game back in the 80s and early 90s was practically Taboo, particularly in the South, lest you be called a Satanist. And that transgressiveness went the way of the dodo while I was still new to the game. But it was still deep in "Nerd Culture" where lots of people had heard of it, but most never played it or thought about it. So you still had some transgressiveness of choosing this Nerdy Dorky Fun passtime that others "Didn't Understand".

But in the 90s and early 2000s you know what was -actually- transgressive in D&D? Being Gay. Or Bisexual. Geeks could largely overlook physical disabilities in their friends and encouraged D&D as a way to "Escape" that kind of thing (without realizing how intensely ableist it was) but having a Queer person, of any stripe, at the table was generally taboo because you didn't wanna be around the (Insert your choice of slur here).

But then that barrier broke down as well, as LGBTQIA people gained more acceptance. And now it's hardly transgressive at all to play D&D under any auspice whatsoever.

As to art styles and aesthetics: That's just time, Hon. Art changes rapidly and what people like or don't like becomes the new standard or identity. Whether it's 3e's "No Symmetry Allowed!" Pathfinder's "Cram all the Details in!" style or D&D's new kind of mildly cartoonish style. Just like music has progressed in the past 30 years to the point where "Kids these days" don't know the music I used to listen to when I was their age and nothing on the radio has that specific flavor.

We are D&D Hipsters. And that's not a bad thing.

Besides. Give it some more time and the swing of things will roll back toward your preferences for Aesthetics at least. Like fashion, art is cyclical. Someone who was inspired by Frazetta and Elmore is working their way up to getting hired by WotC, eventually. And they'll do an entire "Retro Style" aesthetic edition to cash in on our Nostalgia.

Last edited:

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
As to art styles and aesthetics: That's just time, Hon. Art changes rapidly and what people like or don't like becomes the new standard or identity. Whether it's 3e's "No Symmetry Allowed!" Pathfinder's "Cram all the Details in!" style or D&D's new kind of mildly cartoonish style. Just like music has progressed in the past 30 years to the point where "Kids these days" don't know the music I used to listen to when I was their age and nothing on the radio has that specific flavor.

We are D&D Hipsters. And that's not a bad thing.

Besides. Give it some more time and the swing of things will roll back toward your preferences for Aesthetics at least. Like fashion, art is cyclical. Someone who was inspired by Frazetta and Elmore is working their way up to getting hired by WotC, eventually. And they'll do an entire "Retro Style" aesthetic edition to cash in on our Nostalgia.
I would argue that not all the art changes have been good (not a fan of the early WotC years or those last 2 years under TSR's art coordination) but I do think the 5e (and quite a bit of the 4e) art has been great. Now, if they did a book in the style of progressive rock & metal cover artists (Roger Dean, Derek Riggs, Andreas Marschall, and pretty much every album cover released by Dio) that would be beyond awesome.

EDIT: I forgot all about Sam Didier, Pushead, Ken Kelly, and whoever did the first 6 Rhapsody albums (Jeff Easley did Rhapsody's Triumph & Agony)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
And I would note, @RFB Dan, that I didn't claim any art was good. Whether that's Frazetta, Cartoonish, Asymmetrical, or All the Details in style.

I'm too smart for -that-!

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
And I would note, @RFB Dan, that I didn't claim any art was good. Whether that's Frazetta, Cartoonish, Asymmetrical, or All the Details in style.

I'm too smart for -that-!
My apologies if I made it seem as though you did. It really is in the eye of the beholder (no not that one I can't stop those beams and my saves probably suck). As an aside, one of the things I like about much of the 1e, 2e, & 5e art is that it isn't uniform and they had several different styles in many of the books.

What are your preferences/aesthetic preferences? Is it a particular prior edition? Or other games currently on the market?

Helpful NPC Thom

Adventurer
I've never been embarrassed to talk about D&D in social settings. I'm not One of Those Players who insists on gleefully sharing lengthy stories about how my level 28 fighter received his +11 sword of godslaying and annihilated Tiamat in one blow (partly because that's never happened and party because nobody cares), but I'm never hesitant to talk about how much I love tabletop and board games. It's my hobby, it's a huge part of my life. If someone honestly cares enough about it to look at me askance for enjoying it, then so be it--I probably don't want to be close to that person anyhow.

Oofta

Legend
My apologies if I made it seem as though you did. It really is in the eye of the beholder (no not that one I can't stop those beams and my saves probably suck). As an aside, one of the things I like about much of the 1e, 2e, & 5e art is that it isn't uniform and they had several different styles in many of the books.

I'm not so sure about that art is in the eye of the beholder thing
ffa2285f6ffd44c67cf811c41a523977.jpg

Remove ads