D&D (2024) The new warlock (Packet 7)

Chaosmancer

Legend
I was in favour of aligning Eldritch Blast to warlock level to curtail some of its excesses. As for pact of the blade, would a class feature similar to the war cleric allowing a third attack as a bonus action meet in the middle?

Honestly, I haven't run the extra numbers yet, but I think the best solution might be to take away the third attack, then give Thirsting Blade a flat bonus to damage and/or to hit.

This can still help them keep roughly on par with the Eldritch Blast Damage, but also tune-down the damage they are dealing so they aren't blowing martials out of the water. It does still lead to issues at level 17 when Eldritch Blast is likely far superior, but that might be best handled by non-damage boosts to the Bladelock being added for those levels.

Weapon Training is a 1st level feat they get for free, if they wanted proficiency with a MArtial Polearm to unlock those feats. I don't think they need them, but it is there.
Weapon Training is a 4th level feat (available in the Expert Classes UA document), not a 1st level feat. Skilled is a 1st level feat, but it doesn't provide weapon proficiencies.

Honestly, I haven't run the extra numbers yet, but I think the best solution might be to take away the third attack, then give Thirsting Blade a flat bonus to damage and/or to hit.

This can still help them keep roughly on par with the Eldritch Blast Damage, but also tune-down the damage they are dealing so they aren't blowing martials out of the water. It does still lead to issues at level 17 when Eldritch Blast is likely far superior, but that might be best handled by non-damage boosts to the Bladelock being added for those levels.
I think giving the masteries alongside the 2nd attack is fine. It adds tech they wouldn't otherwise have.

Sigh, well, it was too much to hope for we could discuss the numbers I had instead of immediately saying I did it wrong. Fine, let's talk about feats.
If you are saying that something happens and all your simplifications are in the direction of that happening then your model is at the very best highly dubious.
Also, if we want to insist on pointing out the Warlock can't really sword and baord, then there is no issue in upping all their damage dice to d10's
The thing is that those shields do things. And the warlock can't. So either you should upgrade everyone's damage dice for the easy like with like comparison or accept that the warlock is getting things skewed in their favour.
Wrong. At least, wrong unless you start with two odd scores.
Wrong. Unless you're using the min-maxed point buy 15/15/15/8/8/8 array. And ... why would you? The Standard Array is 15/14/13/12/10/8 which with a floating +2 and +1 leads to 17/14/14/12/10/8. And if you absolutely want to min-max yourself in point buy you can go 15/15/14/10/8/8 and only end up with a single odd score.

A key thing to remember is the level curve. Given (a) that 90% of games end by level 10, and (b) levels 1 and 2 are deliberately ones you spend little time at I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the average character in a campaign (i.e. not a one shot) that doesn't instantly fizzle spends roughly half of their time at levels 4, 5, 6, and 7. (Or in the fighter's case 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11). And I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a +1 to your primary stat's bonus and one of the new half-feats are both significant bonuses. Therefore the 17 with the new feats is really useful in a way it isn't under 2014 rules.
The only way you are getting 18 strength and a feat is if you decide to start level 1 at 17 strength, meaning your secondary score is 15. So, if a fighter wants 18 strength, they need to accept a 15 Con, reducing their overall hitpoints and survivability. Not that you can't make that trade, it just isn't a trade I think every single character is going to make every single time.
A 14 con. And this is much more a matter of taste, but I really can't agree with a double 16 in Str and Con because your skills suffer and the fighter doesn't get much else to do out of combat. Between Str and Con you have a grand total of a single skill. that benefits from your two best stats. And there are three important stats for saves (Dex/Con/Wis) while adding to something else pretty important (Initiative, HP, Perception), and you're going to have to dump one of them if you only have three high stats. I don't think there's much between them in terms of importance and a +2 to one of these three stats (unless it's your primary stat) is pretty much worth a +1 to a different one. I therefore consider 14/14/12 to be almost exactly equal to 16/16/8 in terms of power for these three stats as long as they aren't your attack/casting stat.

On a tangent Monks I absolutely think should use the 17/16/14 array.
Also, Greatweapon Master doesn't work with Sword and Board. In fact, of the new feats, the only straight damage increase Sword and Board can get is Charger. Which requires moving 10 ft towards your target, and gives you +1d8 on that single attack you make afterwards. I can include it if you want, but that is quite literally a difference of ~3 points on a single turn, and only activates again if they can move again.
But Charger, Mounted Combatant, Sentinel, and Shield Master (or Defensive Duelist for dex based melee) are all good combat feats. As for being able to move again that depends what you've combo'd it with. Shield Master gives you the space for the follow up charge (or starts to give Advantage).
You will note the numbers at level 11 (the problem level) have the Bladelock without hex or Eldrtich smite ahead of the fighter by 3 points, ahead of the barbarian by 2 points, and ahead of the paladin by 5 points. And this is before I switch the Bladelock to 1d10 damage dice, for using the weapon two-handed. Meaning it looks like even with Charger added.. the Bladelock will come out ahead.
If you're comparing two hands vs two hands then use two handed weapons ... and the two handed feats. If you're using one hand vs one hand and not taking into account that one side has a shield and the other doesn't then you are quite literally making the fighter fight with one hand tied behind their back.
Strawman and false. I didn't miss anything. I knew there was a single feat for the fighter I wasn't accounting for, and I knew that Sword and Board characters didn't have combat feats to increase their damage by a significant degree. And I NERFED the Bladelock damage by keeping with the one-handed weapon instead of two-handed in the entire example.
No you didn't. You made the fighter fight with one hand tied behind their back. You took away their best weapons and their best feats for options that gave them higher defence. I can tell you that the best DPR fighter will be a polearm + GWM fighter.

What I'm really not sure about to be honest is just what sort of impact the Vex-rapier has. I suspect given that they've stacked up 2d6 of extra damage on every hit (Thirsting + Hex) Vex is going to prove very very good. I'm also mildly curious now about a dex based warlock without Eldritch Blast or attack spells.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think giving the masteries alongside the 2nd attack is fine. It adds tech they wouldn't otherwise have.

Not really.

I haven't looked at the new Masteries yet, but I remember the list being

Cleave and Graze -> Requires Heavy weapons, which is more difficult for a Bladelock to utilize. Possible, but they aren't going to need that 13 strength
Flex -> I've been told this was removed?
Nick -> Only works with Two-Weapon Fighting, which does not work with Blade Pact
Push and Slow -> Both available through Eldritch Blast

Which leaves only Sap, Topple (which is of debatable use in general, and terrible for a ranged build) and Vex. And you could kludge together disadvantage on enemy attacks or advantage on your own attacks with a Familiar. An invisible familiar using the Help Action can grant advantage on your attacks, and imps can poison which gives the enemy disadvantage. It is harder, but they DO have access to the "tech" so to speak.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The thing is that those shields do things. And the warlock can't. So either you should upgrade everyone's damage dice for the easy like with like comparison or accept that the warlock is getting things skewed in their favour.

Nerfing the warlock damage, in a damage comparison... is skewing things in their favor? I mean, that is literally what I did. I nerfed their damage die by assuming they were using a one-handed weapon, when they could have used it in two hands. Please explain to me how WEAKENING the warlock's damage favors them?!

Wrong. Unless you're using the min-maxed point buy 15/15/15/8/8/8 array. And ... why would you? The Standard Array is 15/14/13/12/10/8 which with a floating +2 and +1 leads to 17/14/14/12/10/8.

A 17? Wow. Did you know 17 is an odd number? Crazy thing that. Good thing I didn't say "unless you want to start with odd numbers".

Oh. Wait. I did. Now, sure, you decided to go with changing the 13 to a 14 instead of the 14 to a 15, but at that point, it is kind of pettiness since it makes little practical difference to a damage comparision if your tertiary stat is 1 point higher.

A key thing to remember is the level curve. Given (a) that 90% of games end by level 10, and (b) levels 1 and 2 are deliberately ones you spend little time at I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the average character in a campaign (i.e. not a one shot) that doesn't instantly fizzle spends roughly half of their time at levels 4, 5, 6, and 7. (Or in the fighter's case 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, and 11). And I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a +1 to your primary stat's bonus and one of the new half-feats are both significant bonuses. Therefore the 17 with the new feats is really useful in a way it isn't under 2014 rules.

You can make all those arguments, but it really doesn't matter. It isn't like my assumptions were completely unreasonable, nor is it like the Charger feat makes that big of a difference, as I pointed out.

And, while you could make the argument that those assumptions mean that it doesn't matter than the Blade pact is overperforming, I would disagree, because I think all the levels of the game matter and should be balanced.

A 14 con. And this is much more a matter of taste, but I really can't agree with a double 16 in Str and Con because your skills suffer and the fighter doesn't get much else to do out of combat. Between Str and Con you have a grand total of a single skill. that benefits from your two best stats. And there are three important stats for saves (Dex/Con/Wis) while adding to something else pretty important (Initiative, HP, Perception), and you're going to have to dump one of them if you only have three high stats. I don't think there's much between them in terms of importance and a +2 to one of these three stats (unless it's your primary stat) is pretty much worth a +1 to a different one. I therefore consider 14/14/12 to be almost exactly equal to 16/16/8 in terms of power for these three stats as long as they aren't your attack/casting stat.

On a tangent Monks I absolutely think should use the 17/16/14 array.

You are right. That is all a matter of taste and not pertinent to the discussion.

But Charger, Mounted Combatant, Sentinel, and Shield Master (or Defensive Duelist for dex based melee) are all good combat feats. As for being able to move again that depends what you've combo'd it with. Shield Master gives you the space for the follow up charge (or starts to give Advantage).

Mounted Combatant does absolutely nothing for a character who, you know, doesn't have a mount. So I don't know why you would even bring it up.

Sentinel can be a very good feat, but the entirety of the feat relies on off-turn attacks. Could be nice, but trying to account for reaction opportunities is a bit of a pain. And if you make the same assumptions for everyone, they really only offer more chances to do the damage you do per turn, so they don't really alter the situation in the majority of situations. Sure, you could assume that the enemy is constantly attacking a second target or trying to run away, proccing Sentinel every turn, but that seems a poor assumption.

Which just leaves Shield Master, and I will simply point out that I peeked ahead, and the Warhammer now has Push. Giving the exact same benefit of moving without the bonus action cost. But, the number of times you can utilize charger is still highly variable. I can attempt to account for it if you insist, but I don't really see it is needed when looking at the full picture at play.

If you're comparing two hands vs two hands then use two handed weapons ... and the two handed feats. If you're using one hand vs one hand and not taking into account that one side has a shield and the other doesn't then you are quite literally making the fighter fight with one hand tied behind their back.

The fighter, who is benefiting from the shield the warlock doesn't have, while the warlock is only using one hand... is the one with their hand tied behind their back? The hand holding the shield? Is the warlock holding the rope and that's why the shield arm is tied behind their back?

More seriously, I was simply pointing out that if we acknowledge the warlock is going to be constantly using a d10 weapon, then it makes sense to point out that the difference between them and a standard S+B fighter remains the same, even if I account for that one feat I didn't calculate in.

No you didn't. You made the fighter fight with one hand tied behind their back. You took away their best weapons and their best feats for options that gave them higher defence. I can tell you that the best DPR fighter will be a polearm + GWM fighter.

What I'm really not sure about to be honest is just what sort of impact the Vex-rapier has. I suspect given that they've stacked up 2d6 of extra damage on every hit (Thirsting + Hex) Vex is going to prove very very good. I'm also mildly curious now about a dex based warlock without Eldritch Blast or attack spells.

Great, there we go. You want me to pull out the PAM+GWM fighter and go to town. The very best fighter that ever fought! Cool. Let's do that. And you gave an array, so I'll use that.

Just doing the fighter, don't have the time or energy to do everything else.

1st level: Array is 17/14/14/12/10/8, 1st level feat is meaningless for this discussion. So, we end up with
[I want to note, that +1 is from the Heavy Weapon Mastery, this is an averaged result that has been found repeatedly, and I will be using it per attacl]

Fighter: 1d10+3+1 --> (9.5 x 1 x 0.65) + (5.5 x 0.05) --> 6.45
Warlock: 1d10+3 --> (8.5 x 1 x 0.65) + (5.5 x 0.05) --> 5.8

5th level: Okay, time to crank this up! Fighter gets... one feat. I'll give Polearm master though. And that raises him to that 18.

Fighter: 2d10+1d4+12+3 --> (10.5 x 2 x 0.65) + (7.5 x 1 x 0.65) + (5.5 x 2 x 0.05) + (2.5 x 1 x 0.05) --> 19.2
Warlock: 2d10+2d6+8 --> (13 x 2 x 0.65) + (9 + 2 x 0.05) --> 17.8

Still behind, which isn't unexpected. It is 11th level that is the problem after all.

11th level: Now, here is where things get a little tricky. I've got to give the Fighter both Great Weapon Master and Charger. But how do we assign Charger? Well, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. I'll just assume Charger happens 1/turn, every single turn. So, the fighter is sitting at a 20 STR. Warlock also at 20.

So, what are we looking at?

Fighter: 3d10+1d4+20+4 --> (11.5 x 3 x 0.65) + (4.5 x 0.65) + (8.5 x 0.65) + (4 x 0.9744)+ (5.5 x 3 x 0.05) + (2.5 x 0.05) + (4.5 x 0.05) --> 35.9476

Warlock: 3d10+3d6+3d6+15 --> (17.5 x 3 x 0.65) + (12.5 x 3 x 0.05) --> 36

So, there you go. The Best fighter who has ever fought, a PAM+GWM+Charger fighter who is able to charge every single round of combat, invested with three feats to increase is combat capability.... technically does 0.0524 less DPR than the Bladelock with only warcaster, and who is only using three of their seven invocation abilities.

So, let's get it out of the way. How did I gimp the fighter and completely discredit my entire set-up so that I can go ahead and prove this a third time?

Nerfing the warlock damage, in a damage comparison... is skewing things in their favor?
You restricted everyone to one handed weapons. Which locked the martials out of the high damage feats and into low damage high survivability builds. Meanwhile the warlock at best doesn't get those feats on their primary stat and at worst doesn't get those feats at all.
I mean, that is literally what I did. I nerfed their damage die by assuming they were using a one-handed weapon, when they could have used it in two hands. Please explain to me how WEAKENING the warlock's damage favors them?!
Because you weakened everyone else more, making them fight one hand behind their back.
A 17? Wow. Did you know 17 is an odd number? Crazy thing that. Good thing I didn't say "unless you want to start with odd numbers".
Stop gaslighting - and if you're going to use quotation marks make sure you are actually quoting. What you actually said was "Wrong. At least, wrong unless you start with two odd scores." It's quoted on the post you were replying to and is still in your original message.
Oh. Wait. I did.
No you didn't. Two is not one - and I can't be bothered to check the rest of your math.

Goodbye

Just doing the fighter
Some corrections for your math.

[I want to note, that +1 is from the Heavy Weapon Mastery, this is an averaged result that has been found repeatedly, and I will be using it per attacl]
I assume you mean the Great Weapon Fighting fighting style. In the case of a 1d10 weapon, it increases the average damage from 5.5 to 6.3. In the case of the 1d4 PAM attack, it increases the average damage from 2.5 to 3.0. This is not hugely significant, but I at least want to note it for reference. I'll go ahead and use these values in my calculations.

NB: A 1d12 weapon increases the average from 6.5 to 7.33, the closest to a +1. A 2d6 weapon increases the average from 7 to 8.33.

Fighter: 1d10+3+1 --> (9.5 x 1 x 0.65) + (5.5 x 0.05) --> 6.45
If using a polearm, and not trying to figure out how Cleave fits in, this is most likely a weapon with Graze, which boosts the average damage. I'll add that in.

1st level:
If using the +1 for GWF: (9.5 * 65%) [main] + (3 * 35%) [graze] + (5.5 * 5%) [crit] = 7.5
If using the 6.3 average for GWF: (9.3 * 65%) [main] + (3 * 35%) [graze] + (6.3 * 5%) [crit] = 7.41

5th level:
Fighter: (10.3 * 65% * 2) [main] + (4 * 35% * 2) [graze] + (7 * 65%) [PAM] + (4 * 35%) [PAM graze] + (6.3 * 5% * 2) [main crit] + (3 * 5%) [PAM crit] = 22.92

But how do we assign Charger?
I usually assume a 50% usage rate on Charger, but I'll keep the 100% used here.
Fighter: 3d10+1d4+20+4 --> (11.5 x 3 x 0.65) + (4.5 x 0.65) + (8.5 x 0.65) + (4 x 0.9744)+ (5.5 x 3 x 0.05) + (2.5 x 0.05) + (4.5 x 0.05) --> 35.9476
Note: 0.9744 is the chance of landing one hit with four attacks when the base accuracy is 60%, rather than the 65% you've been using. For 65%, this should be 0.985.

I'm not sure what the 8.5 value is in the above equation. I think it's for Charger, but it should be 4.5 rather than 8.5.

Charger should also probably take effect if you land any attack after the charge, since you only have to "land an attack as part of the Attack Action on your turn", not just the 'first' attack. So I'll use the same chance as for GWM. I'll keep the 5% for the crit chance, though.

GWM also has one additional bonus, which I won't attempt to incorporate here: If you land a crit, or kill a creature with one of your three main attacks, you can use the bonus action for another main strike (1d10) instead of a PAM strike (1d4). This has very little total impact, and is complicated to calculate, so I won't do it here.

11th level:
Fighter: (11.3 * 65% * 3) [main] + (5 * 35% * 3) [graze] + (8 * 65%) [PAM] + (5 * 35%) [PAM graze] + (6.3 * 5% * 3) [main crit] + (3 * 5%) [PAM crit] + (4 * 98.5%) [GWM] + (4.5 * 98.5%) [Charger] + (4.5 * 5%) [Charger crit] = 43.93

So, a decent bit more than you calculated.

On the other hand, while a warlock using a 1d10 weapon without Graze would get the 36.0 DPR you calculated, adding Graze increases that to 41.25, and using a rapier with Vex instead increases it to 44.62. Switching from Hex to Shroud increases that further, to 59.94.

Remove ads