• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Official Poll! What THREE things do you like most about D&D 5th Edition?

What do you like most about D&D 5th Edition? (Choose up to 3!)

• Advantage/disadvantage

Votes: 391 45.9%
  • Art direction/production values

Votes: 68 8.0%
  • Backgrounds

Votes: 145 17.0%
  • Bounded accuracy

Votes: 307 36.0%
  • Concentration

Votes: 58 6.8%
  • Inspiration mechanic

Votes: 40 4.7%
  • Legendary creature mechanic

Votes: 62 7.3%
  • Magic items not required/no "Christmas tree"

Votes: 195 22.9%
  • Magic system

Votes: 64 7.5%
  • Old-school "feel"

Votes: 221 25.9%
  • Proficiency bonus

Votes: 75 8.8%
  • Published adventures

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • Rate of release/number of books

Votes: 38 4.5%
  • Rulings not rules/DM empowerment

Votes: 223 26.2%
  • Simplicity/light rules

Votes: 309 36.3%
  • Speed of play

Votes: 189 22.2%
  • I like nothing about D&D 5th Edition

Votes: 17 2.0%

MoutonRustique

Explorer
I'm slightly surprised about the popularity of "simplicity" - not because of it's appeal but because I'm not finding 5e to be "simple" in any real sense of the word. It is similar to previous editions and familiar in it's concepts and presentation to many. However, these things does not make it "simple". IMO.

But I will say this : "Great job on presentation WotC! The game you created is lauded as simple - there are very few higher achievements!" (Note: I am not being sarcastic. I am, in truth, impressed.)

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I voted Rulings Not Rules, Simplicity, and Speed.

Except what I really want is a game that's like 5e, but with a lot less rules, a lot more simplicity, and a lot faster. C'est la vie.

I'm slightly surprised about the popularity of "simplicity" - not because of it's appeal but because I'm not finding 5e to be "simple" in any real sense of the word. It is similar to previous editions and familiar in it's concepts and presentation to many. However, these things does not make it "simple". IMO.

They at least made an effort to keep the rules simpler than 3e and the character building simpler than 4e. I wouldn't call it "simple" in a vacuum, but for WotCD&D, it's a start.

Last edited:

mrm1138

Explorer
They at least made an effort to keep the rules simpler than 3e and the chargen and combat simpler than 4e. I wouldn't call it "simple" in a vacuum, but for WotCD&D, it's a start.

The first version I attempted to play was 4e, and I couldn't really wrap my head around it. I heard a lot of people say it was really dumbed down, but for some reason, I had difficulty getting it. When the basic rules for 5e came out, however, it really clicked for me. I'd say it's more on the rules-medium end of things.

Fedge123

First Post
As someone who is returning to D&D after being away for 30 years, I'd have to say I like the 'old school feel', this is the game I remember ... with much clearer rules and better production values ;)

First post!

Last edited:

Rydac

Explorer
I would have really liked to have seen an "all of the above" choice
Just before the last negative option.....that's the way I wish I could've
voted. I've been playing/DMing since it came out and I'm still having a blast.
I'm impressed.

pdegan2814

First Post
I'm someone who hasn't played D&D in over 20 years, since the AD&D/2nd Edition transition period, and back then we weren't very hardcore players. I was exposed to 5th Edition through the Critical Role web series on Geek & Sundry, and was impressed with how easy it was to pick up on how the rules worked(though it helped that Matt Mercer is a fantastic DM who does a great job managing the game). Now that I'm playing, I'm even more impressed at how easy it was to jump right in. The Backgrounds portion of character creation are a great way to add flavor, and they leave room for each player to individualize them. The advantage/disadvantage mechanic is very cool. But mostly I just think the rules are just very well structured so that they don't get in the way of a good role-playing experience, especially the skill proficiency & saving throw system. The whole system seems like it was designed to make it easy for a DM to tweak things for their individual campaigns, and easy for Wizards to add new elements without breaking the existing ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads