The Only Thing I Don't Like About 5e! (Hint- ASIs)

S'mon

Legend
I like the standard array, but 5e Point Buy works fine too. Even when I min-max my polearm master (Junichiro the crazy holy mountain hermit, variant human bbn-1 going for Zealot) I only get STR 16 DE 14 CON 16 IN 8 WI 10 CH 8, AC 15 & 15 hp. He certainly should be powerful in combat, but he's not going to break the game (I expect - starting next Sunday).

And when I get all hippy-dippy Real Roleplayer and put a 12 in CHA for Oronn Death my Greatweapon Master grim lone wolf survivalist ruin explorer (BBn-3, Primeval Thule Slayer path) starting next month I still have ST 16 DE 14 CO 14 IN 8 WI 10 CH 12, AC 14 & 14 hp at 1st > 32 at 3rd, I still have a viable PC.

(advisory - this post not entirely serious, & yes those are my 2 new PCs) :D

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I like the standard array, but 5e Point Buy works fine too.
I've been happy not having the option to use Point Buy. Partly because I think not getting to fiddle with the numbers that way has freed me up even more from my min/max tendencies. But primarily because having the array inspired me to randomly place my ability scores, adding some fun chance to my character building.

My moon druid has a 14 Strength I have never used for anything.:erm:

Horwath

Legend
few solutions.

limit abilities to 18.
More room for feats.

Add bonus feats at lvl 1,5,9,13,17 and 20.
Remove "strong combat feats" from the list for those levels. Make them focus on racial feats non "low-powered" feats for flavor.
Ban: GWM, PAM, SS, CE, HAM, for starters from that list.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I like the standard array, but 5e Point Buy works fine too. Even when I min-max my polearm master (Junichiro the crazy holy mountain hermit, variant human bbn-1 going for Zealot) I only get STR 16 DE 14 CON 16 IN 8 WI 10 CH 8, AC 15 & 15 hp. He certainly should be powerful in combat, but he's not going to break the game (I expect - starting next Sunday).

And when I get all hippy-dippy Real Roleplayer and put a 12 in CHA for Oronn Death my Greatweapon Master grim lone wolf survivalist ruin explorer (BBn-3, Primeval Thule Slayer path) starting next month I still have ST 16 DE 14 CO 14 IN 8 WI 10 CH 12, AC 14 & 14 hp at 1st > 32 at 3rd, I still have a viable PC.

(advisory - this post not entirely serious, & yes those are my 2 new PCs) :D

One of the things I like about point by is how it incentivizes a lot of middling scores over one or two maxed scores.

Playing a bog standard human with 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 11 has been loads of fun for me.

Gadget

Adventurer
I agree about the rapiers. And the gnomes. everything else...not so much.

AD&D had just as many problems with stats, imho, it just wasn't as evenly distributed across all characters. Getting that 18/00 strength made you that much better than every other fighter by a good bit. Not only that, but rolling well on stats not only made you better, it also qualified you for the super charged prestige-classesque classes of Paladin & Ranger, which the rest of the riff-Raff where not allowed to take. All at the expense of the DM beating you over the head on a whim for not following your ill-defined code. I'll take 'sameness' every day over that.

Though I do agree that the game could do better in the whole 'race to 20' stats thing. At least they capped it at twenty though. Baby steps.

Remove ads