• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "Rabid Wolverine" found dead

horacethegrey

First Post
mcrow said:
I can remember watching him when I was in my teens, back in the days of the NWA and WCW. Seemed like a really great guy. Too bad that whatever his troubles were went so far that it cause the loss of 3 lives.
I've long suspected that the wrestling biz is a tough profession and that some people end up being consumed by the darker aspects of it. For every success story like Hulk Hogan and Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson, there are tragedies like Jake the Snake Roberts and Davie Boy Smith. Hell, I never realized that the Hart family was screwed up like it was until much later (not to say that Owen's death was because of this. That was an unfortunate accident. And by all accounts Owen was the normal one in the clan).

Whatever it was that drove Chris to murder his family (hypothetically. I sincerely hope it's not the case), must have terrible indeed.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I am really starting to think that there is an underlying problem with WWE itself. Eddie Guerrero died two years ago of undisclosed causes. Now Benoit. I know that's only two, but it just seems as though WWE ought to take a hard look at how it treats its performers...get help for the ones who need it so tragedies like this don't happen again.

mcrow

Explorer
crazypixie said:
I am really starting to think that there is an underlying problem with WWE itself. Eddie Guerrero died two years ago of undisclosed causes. Now Benoit. I know that's only two, but it just seems as though WWE ought to take a hard look at how it treats its performers...get help for the ones who need it so tragedies like this don't happen again.

The WWE must have a really awful culture of some sort, I can't imagine why so many suicides and/or drug related deaths would happen otherwise. :\

werk

First Post
mcrow said:
The WWE must have a really awful culture of some sort, I can't imagine why so many suicides and/or drug related deaths would happen otherwise. :\

http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/Steroids.html

Scientific research also shows that aggression and other psychiatric side effects may result from abuse of anabolic steroids. Many users report feeling good about themselves while on anabolic steroids, but researchers report that extreme mood swings also can occur, including manic-like symptoms leading to violence. Depression often is seen when the drugs are stopped and may contribute to dependence on anabolic steroids. Researchers report also that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.1

horacethegrey

First Post
werk said:

Scientific research also shows that aggression and other psychiatric side effects may result from abuse of anabolic steroids. Many users report feeling good about themselves while on anabolic steroids, but researchers report that extreme mood swings also can occur, including manic-like symptoms leading to violence. Depression often is seen when the drugs are stopped and may contribute to dependence on anabolic steroids. Researchers report also that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.1
:\ Wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause (or one of them) to this tragedy. I wish the WWE would just do away the whole steroid crap, since it's quite obvious that it's harmful to a user's physical and mental health. There's a reason why such substances are banned in professional sports.

mcrow

Explorer
werk said:

Yup, that's part of the culture along with abuse of painkillers, street drugs, and other things.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
mcrow said:
Yup, that's part of the culture along with abuse of painkillers, street drugs, and other things.

I remember Rob Van Damme and "Sandman" getting arrested crossing the Canadian border last year with Marijuana. They pretty much got off on a technicality.

WWE also heavily promoted ephedra containing products until the substance was taken off the market.

Heckler

First Post
crazypixie said:

And Owen Hart,
Sensational Sherri,
Miss Elisabeth,
Crash Holly... :(

horacethegrey

First Post
Heckler said:
Sensational Sherri
:confused: Quite surprised to hear this, as I saw her being inducted to the Wrestling Hall of Fame in Wrestlemania 22 just last year.

Heckler said:
Miss Elisabeth,
Real tragedy her death was. It's so sad that she ended up like that. And unfortunate that she ended up shacking with a douche like Larry Pfohl (aka Lex Luger).

Heckler said:
Crash Holly...
Surprised to hear this as well. *sighs* Wrestling really must be a tough business for all this tragedy to happen.

jonathan swift

First Post
Bam Bam Bigelow and Mike Awesome both died this year as well. Awesome hung himself.

Benoit's former tag team partner Biff Wellington died this past weekend.

Sensational Sherri actually died in the past two weeks, during the "Mr. McMahon is storyline" and caused lots of rage as his storyline death was treated as more important than her real death.

This industry has some tragedy.

It's just weird cause Benoit was a darling of the internet wrestling community and ended up (seemingly) becoming a monster.

Meanwhile a man like Jeff Jarret who the IWC always hated looks like a hero now for sticking by his wife's side while she died of cancer and doing all he can to take care of his children.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads