The Superhero Movie equivalent to "odd-numbered Star Trek movies"

Storm Raven

First Post
In spite of all those "Reasons" I still love RoTJ!:)

I enjoy Return of the Jedi as well. The list isn't "50 Reasons Why Return of the Jedi Is Bad". It is "50 Reasons Why Return of the Jedi Isn't as Good as Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back".

The fact remains that compared to the first two movies, Jedi is the result of some very lazy filmmaking, some very weak writing, and a bunch of actors who were mostly just mailing their performances in (or were coked out of their minds). And it shows.

Orius

Legend
I've heard that the movie is actually better when you are in an altered state of mind.

And I suppose that counts if you're one of the actors in said movie as well. Heh.

And that list knows when to quit just as well as Lucas does. Seriously, there were maybe a handful of good points, but it was picking at minor irrelevancies to pad the list to 50 since we all know it's cool to hate on Lucas for raping our collective childhoods.

Trickstergod

First Post
I enjoy Return of the Jedi as well. The list isn't "50 Reasons Why Return of the Jedi Is Bad". It is "50 Reasons Why Return of the Jedi Isn't as Good as Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back".

The fact remains that compared to the first two movies, Jedi is the result of some very lazy filmmaking, some very weak writing, and a bunch of actors who were mostly just mailing their performances in (or were coked out of their minds). And it shows.

I just scanned the top 15 or so - and it's a poor sign when even the top 15 can barely put together anything all that noteworthy or that isn't otherwise debatable.

ZOMG, Fett went out like a punk! So what? The various "coincidences"? Not all that hard to believe. Jabba? Looked great.

What that list mostly shows is an opinionated pedant had far too much time on his hands when writing that up. And many of the faults with Jedi can still be levied against Star Wars. And whatever the technical faults, the underlying story is a lot stronger than A New Hope - Jedi is a tale of redemption, integrity, hard choice, and sacrifice. A New Hope? Evil empire blows up planets and is undone by hubris.

Not to mention there's a hell of a lot more drama in Luke's confrontation against the Emperor than in Vader against Obi-Wan and the space battle above Endor puts to shame the run on the Death Star.

At the end of the day the only outstanding error on Jedi's behalf is the ewoks. The rest? Head and shoulders above the original Star Wars.

Felon

First Post
Well, it's pretty easy to establish "rules" once you've decided that the proof doesn't have to be based on anything more than personal opinion.

I don't think Spider-Man 3 sucked. It delivered. Does that blow anyone's rules out of the water?

IMO, the genre is still emergent. They're still trying to figure out stuff like "how do I get audiences to not laugh at a costume that isn't (predominantly) black?" or "how do we do superhero stories that are epic in scale (like the coming of Galactus or a mutant civil war), rather than sticking to the safe, familiar confines of personal revenge/redemption?"

Last edited:

Remove ads